Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2021, 03:30 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm including to Wikipedia's article on the Tuskegee syphilis study. It appears it was started in 1932 and ended in 1972. Interestingly, the reason it was ended is because some of the experts in the study realized it was not ethical to not treat those infected with syphilis with penicillin. In other words, the experts "blew the whistle on themselves".
My understanding of why it ended was because all of the test subjects had died, slow painful miserable lingering deaths.

In the Anthrax test, the government literally lost the paperwork. Five different labs produced the test vaccines, and 200,000 US service members were ordered to take the shots, then the DOD tossed all records of who they give which shot to. Within a month of giving the shots all records were tossed. So who received which lot number of which vaccine is completely in the wind.

Quote:
... This study constantly comes up in vaccine debates and is supposed be a reason "why we cannot trust government". Never mind that it was begun ninety years ago and ended just about fifty years ago. Medical ethics--like anything else--is an evolving field. It speaks less about "government" than it simply does about changing notions of ethics. For example, years ago it was not thought necessary for a physician to tell a patient that they were terminally ill. Informed consent was poorly understood and many physicians did not inform patients of side effects of some types of treatments and medications. I'll also add since the patients in the study were all or mostly African American it speaks volumes about the amount of discrimination that this group encountered. Because rights for all groups are now taken for granted I am skeptical anything like this could ever happen again.

Frankly, I think we have learned well the lesson of Tuskegee and its one reason why you have to fill out and sign endless paperwork when you to the doctor's office for just about anything.

Honestly, if Tuskegee is going to come up every time there is a new medication or vaccination approved for use in this country we might just as well give up. The lesson from Tuskegee is the need for informed consent. The lesson is not to avoid all vaccines and treatments that government agencies believe are appropriate.
It is a lot easier when you can simply order a few hundred thousand to take an untested vaccine.

A lot of things changed from 1932 to 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 05:29 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Omicron now accounts for 3/4 of covid cases in the US, which seems like a good news, ie, it seems to have pushed out the far deadlier delta. From everything I have read so far (South Africa, UK, US), omicron covid seems to cause lower incidence of serious illness than an ordinary flu virus, with less mortality than ordinary flu, and mostly negligible symptoms in vaccinated folks. Plus, the number of cases has just dropped dramatically in South Africa, suggesting that herd immunity is rapidly achievable against omicron, without too much hospitalization and death (again, per capita figures for hospitalization and death seem to be lower than in an average flu season, and very close to zero among vaccinated people).

Old 12-23-2021, 06:11 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Sounds like the key is "vaccinated." I have several friends, middle aged, vaxxed and boosted, who got mild cases despite all their precautions and they seem fine. But the hospitals are in tough shape with the unvaccinated sick people.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:39 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Sounds like the key is "vaccinated." I have several friends, middle aged, vaxxed and boosted, who got mild cases despite all their precautions and they seem fine. But the hospitals are in tough shape with the unvaccinated sick people.
Any underlying conditions among your friends with the mild cases? Any obesity?

Old 12-23-2021, 06:43 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I'd say the 50-year-old is a bit pudgy but neither are obese. Both men are isolating with their husbands, having already been exposed to each other. They described the illness as similar to a bad cold.

I do wonder if there's any info on long COVID after mild or asymptomatic cases.

Old 12-24-2021, 02:22 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Omicron now accounts for 3/4 of covid cases in the US, which seems like a good news, ie, it seems to have pushed out the far deadlier delta. From everything I have read so far (South Africa, UK, US), omicron covid seems to cause lower incidence of serious illness than an ordinary flu virus, with less mortality than ordinary flu, and mostly negligible symptoms in vaccinated folks. Plus, the number of cases has just dropped dramatically in South Africa, suggesting that herd immunity is rapidly achievable against omicron, without too much hospitalization and death (again, per capita figures for hospitalization and death seem to be lower than in an average flu season, and very close to zero among vaccinated people).
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've been reading the same thing. This Omicron variant may end up being a blessing in the long run especially if you're vaccinated. I currently know 3 people infected, one with a booster shot and 2 vaccinated without a booster. All mild, with cold like symptoms.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:55 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Hospitals everywhere are still overwhelmed with unvaccinated patients. Either Omicron is still a serious risk to ones ability to breathe or there is still a robust number of Delta variants out there infecting people, I honestly don't know which.

Old 12-24-2021, 02:07 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Hospitals everywhere are still overwhelmed with unvaccinated patients.
Following our local news, I get the impression that the hospitals are overwhelmed with COVID patients.

But when it comes to the distinction of whether these are vaccinated COVID patients or are they unvaccinated COVID patients, that is a distinction the news media is not making clear.

Quote:
.... Either Omicron is still a serious risk to ones ability to breathe or there is still a robust number of Delta variants out there infecting people, I honestly don't know which.
In the midst of 24/7 news reporting there is still an extreme dearth of news reporting.

Old 12-24-2021, 02:15 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Following our local news, I get the impression that the hospitals are overwhelmed with COVID patients.

But when it comes to the distinction of whether these are vaccinated COVID patients or are they unvaccinated COVID patients, that is a distinction the news media is not making clear.

In the midst of 24/7 news reporting there is still an extreme dearth of news reporting.

The deaths of unvaccinated vs vaccinated is extremely clear. If you need more than that.... I don't understand why?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-24-2021, 02:31 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
This estimate that's been widely bandied about comes from a forecast made by CDC, not actual data. It's called "Nowcast" and is designed to make up for the lag in reporting genomic data, which is 2-3 weeks.

But, it's a forecast, based on a model. Whether or not it's accurate we won't know for several more weeks.

Estimating omicron severity suffers from a number of problems, including comparing widely differing population profiles (younger vs older, vaccinated vs not, prior infection vs not and so forth) so again, probaby premature to start celebrating. Worse, even if you have a virus strain that causes less severe disease but far more of it, you still run the risk of overwhelming our health care system so that more people die.

I say keep your seatbelt fastened: keep masking, avoid crowds, especially indoors, and for gosh sake get vaccinated and boosted. Yes, vaccines are a government plot, a plot to keep you alive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement