Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 12:54 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times

Advertisements

Makes one wonder how many of the tests mailed to homes, will end up on eBay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 12:56 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not holding my breath. It's not like we HAVE 500 billion test kits yet. I am underwhelmed by this administrations response to Covid.
I would have to say that it would not be easy for any administration to deal with this situation when there is a significant portion of the population (including many leaders) that is more interested in obstruction that in working together to get us through this in the best possible manner.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:42 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,155,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Well, that's helpful, considering no one knows what your city is.

The Scottsdale Walmart had them up to a few minutes ago.
LOL My main point was, they're not available for shipment. You gotta check your own stores.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:06 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
I'm not holding my breath. It's not like we HAVE 500 billion test kits yet. I am underwhelmed by this administrations response to Covid.
There wasn't a need for it until the Omicron variant came along. Six weeks ago, no one had even heard of Omicron. That's how fast moving this whole thing has been. We are told that ample test kits will be available sometime in January. That really isn't bad unless you expect perfection.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:10 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There wasn't a need for it until the Omicron variant came along. Six weeks ago, no one had even heard of Omicron. That's how fast moving this whole thing has been. We are told that ample test kits will be available sometime in January. That really isn't bad unless you expect perfection.
No. I don't expect perfection, but I expect more.

The messaging has been muddy at best, and they have been late responding to events IMO.

Once again, other countries are not having trouble with getting testing to the masses, quickly and inexpensively. We are not. It's pretty important, was before, and now more so with omicron. There absolutely WAS a need for it with our Delta surges. I've needed to get a rapid test a couple times, and nope... nothing, nowhere, nada.

It's not like these things were unforeseeable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-29-2021, 02:31 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
FDA says rapid tests for Covid antigens may be less sensitive in detecting Omicron variant | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-29-2021, 03:26 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Nicet! article with lots of interesting data. Thank you for posting!

Old 12-30-2021, 03:36 AM

879 posts, read 763,902 times
Quote:
No. I don't expect perfection, but I expect more.

The messaging has been muddy at best, and they have been late responding to events IMO.

Once again, other countries are not having trouble with getting testing to the masses, quickly and inexpensively. We are not. It's pretty important, was before, and now more so with omicron. There absolutely WAS a need for it with our Delta surges. I've needed to get a rapid test a couple times, and nope... nothing, nowhere, nada.

It's not like these things were unforeseeable.
Could you be more specific about what more you think this administration could have done. They rolled out the vaccine quickly, made it available to every single person eligible to get it, have begged people to get it. I’d really like to know what more they should have done.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:25 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
Could you be more specific about what more you think this administration could have done. They rolled out the vaccine quickly, made it available to every single person eligible to get it, have begged people to get it. I’d really like to know what more they should have done.
I know you didn't post this question to me, but I'll answer it to some degree. I'm personally not really upset at this administration. It's got to be very difficult trying to figure out the best way to focus where you put your efforts (efforts = $$$). This administration admitted last week or so that they fumbled a bit on testing. They had started out wanting to ramp up massive testing but they pivoted and focused really hard on vaccines, I think believing that vaccines were going to fix everything and people would be more interested in getting vaccinated. They let the testing ramp-up fall by the wayside a bit. That was their confession.

So here were are. Vaccines aren't 100% effective in stopping COVID in its tracks as everyone hoped a year ago, variants are coming, and we have a decent sized chunk of people who won't get vaccinated which continues to allow more aggressive fuel for the variants. Ample testing at this point is required to try to get back to having some life (avoiding unneccessary isolations). We need to be able to get our hands on a test in a moments notice. Have them all over schools, in all workplaces, etc so the minute you feel off you can figure it out and do whatever you need to do.

We don't have that right now and that is on the government because they are the only ones who can order the kind of production and distribution we need.

In that way, they have fumbled here but, again, managing all the aspects is no easy task so I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater!! I think, at least, their intentions are to do the right thing.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-30-2021 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo

Old 12-30-2021, 04:47 AM

879 posts, read 763,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I know you didn't post this question to me, but I'll answer it to some degree. I'm personally not really upset at this administration. It's got to be very difficult trying to figure out the best way to focus where you put your efforts (efforts = $$$). This administration admitted last week or so that they fumbled a bit on testing. They had started out wanting to ramp up massive testing but they pivoted and focused really hard on vaccines, I think believing that vaccines were going to fix everything and people would be more interested in getting vaccinated. They let the testing ramp-up fall by the wayside a bit. That was their confession.

So here were are. Vaccines aren't 100% effective in stopping COVID in its tracks as everyone hoped a year ago, variants are coming, and we have a decent sized chunk of people who won't get vaccinated which continues to allow more aggressive fuel for the variants. Ample testing at this point is required to try to get back to having some life (avoiding unneccessary isolations). We need to be able to get our hands on a test in a moments notice. Have them all over schools, in all workplaces, etc so the minute you feel off you can figure it out and do whatever you need to do.

We don't have that right now and that is on the government because they are the only ones who can order the kind of production and distribution we need.

In that way, they have fumbled here but, again, managing all the aspects is no easy task so I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater!! I think, at least, their intentions are to do the right thing.
I agree with you on most points. I don’t think anyone could have anticipated the large numbers of people who would refuse the vaccine. I didn’t. Maybe we should have. But mostly I agree that every thing this administration has done has been done with good intentions. They don’t have a crystal ball. I have some issues with the CDC especially with the rollout of boosters.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-30-2021 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo in quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement