Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2021, 08:59 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I wonder if the Omicron variant will bring the pandemic to its endemic end.

It seems that it's much more contagious so it will soon supplant delta. Although it may soon overwhelm hospitals with the stubbornly unvaccinated minority, by infecting most people, either you become immune or darwinated.

So perhaps it could be like a kindling-fed fire, suddenly bursting hot but of a short duration.

The 1918 pandemic ended when the virus mutated into an endemic cold virus.
In 1918, there was no international or much domestic travel. The whole world would have to get infected at once. Not likely the way certain countries have been isolating for 2 years. Their vast populations are ripe for flare ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 02:31 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I wonder if the Omicron variant will bring the pandemic to its endemic end.

It seems that it's much more contagious so it will soon supplant delta. Although it may soon overwhelm hospitals with the stubbornly unvaccinated minority, by infecting most people, either you become immune or darwinated.

So perhaps it could be like a kindling-fed fire, suddenly bursting hot but of a short duration.

The 1918 pandemic ended when the virus mutated into an endemic cold virus.
No, and influenza virus did not morph into a cold (normally coronavirus or rhinovirus).

It stayed influenza.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-25-2021, 02:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Following our local news, I get the impression that the hospitals are overwhelmed with COVID patients.

But when it comes to the distinction of whether these are vaccinated COVID patients or are they unvaccinated COVID patients, that is a distinction the news media is not making clear.

In the midst of 24/7 news reporting there is still an extreme dearth of news reporting.
The CDC data tracker has this announcement on their home page: "COVID Data Tracker will not update onFriday, December 24, 2021, Saturday, December 25, 2021, and Sunday, December 26, 2021. Updates will resume on Monday, December 27, 2021"

Old 12-25-2021, 03:06 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
There was an interesting bit in our local paper regarding breakthrough infections. At the nearest regional hospital, most of the hospitalized patients with Covid who were vaccinated were hospitalized for something other than Covid. So once again, the data that's reported can be easily misinterpreted.

As I've said before, being vaccinated doesn't guarantee you won't be infected. It means your risk of serious disease is sharply reduced. This means data on breakthrough infections is too often difficult to interpret - of those with breakthrough, how many were asymptomatic? How many had mild disease? How many serious disease? How many deaths? Anyone seen numbers with this granularity? I have not, although I haven't looked very hard.

Old 12-25-2021, 05:44 PM

37,118 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
In 1918, there was no international or much domestic travel. The whole world would have to get infected at once. Not likely the way certain countries have been isolating for 2 years. Their vast populations are ripe for flare ups.

Troop movements during WWI helped spread the flu virus.

Old 12-25-2021, 09:42 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
In Maryland, the 9% unvaccinated is responsible for 75% of the hospitalizations. Several hospitals have declared a health care Disaster and initiated disaster plans. The Governor has promised additional funds to enable the hospitals to address the staffing shortages. As if...
He is a Republican interested in running for President and has no interest in issuing a mask mandate.

Meanwhile, my grandchild revealed that one of her two teachers did not wear a mask and was absent the following day when the administration announced that one of her teachers tested positive for Covid. What the ....?!

Old 12-26-2021, 04:49 AM

882 posts, read 767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Ours too …she seems to be recovering but still so sick from it..
Her parents both had it but again not hospitalized.

This is one year since my Wife and I were hospitalized with it for two weeks
I remember when you and your wife were in the hospital. A year ago I really thought with the vaccines we would be done with Covid by now. I had no idea that there would be such resistance to them. I hope and pray the baby is better today.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:56 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
In Maryland, the 9% unvaccinated is responsible for 75% of the hospitalizations. Several hospitals have declared a health care Disaster and initiated disaster plans. The Governor has promised additional funds to enable the hospitals to address the staffing shortages. As if...
He is a Republican interested in running for President and has no interest in issuing a mask mandate.

Meanwhile, my grandchild revealed that one of her two teachers did not wear a mask and was absent the following day when the administration announced that one of her teachers tested positive for Covid. What the ....?!
I've always kind of liked Gov. Hogan for not being as out there as others, but in the last month, he's really disappointed me as he seems to be sort of straying from what he's done the last two years.

I'm close by in Virginia (and grew up in Maryland though) and we are bracing for full-on Florida behavior starting in January, if you catch my drift!! :-)

Old 12-26-2021, 07:43 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It is spreading like wildfire here in nyc and New Jersey .

My daughter in-laws sisters family has it including their 5 month old …the adults are doing okay , not great but the 5 month old was taken to the hospital with 104 …

The temperature has come down but she still needs to be monitored

Hope the youngster is well by now. Small kids readily spike very high temps, which need to be brought down to protect the brain, but they otherwise don't necessarily mean the kid is severely ill. Part of the reason why the number of omicron cases is increasing so rapidly (in addition to easy transmission) is the short incubation time. The time from exposure to symptoms is generally about 3 days. I was in NYC for 10 days earlier this month, was out and about a lot (I walk 15-20 miles in Manhattan every day when I am there), and spent about 2 hours every day on an express bus. On one occasion, I was sitting right in front of a woman about 1/3 my age and about 3x my weight, who was snorting for an hour without a mask (although masks are mandatory on buses, but I can see why she could not tolerate it: her nose, mouth, neck, ie, airway in general, was so encased in flesh that she could barely breathe even without a mask). It has been well over a week since then, so if I ever got anything asymptomatic, I will never know about it. But anyway, case count is rapidly dropping in South Africa (with continued low hospitalization and death rate throughout the omicron spike), so hopefully it could blow over in the US by the end of January too.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:47 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Hope the youngster is well by now. Small kids readily spike very high temps, which need to be brought down to protect the brain, but they otherwise don't necessarily mean the kid is severely ill. Part of the reason why the number of omicron cases is increasing so rapidly (in addition to easy transmission) is the short incubation time. The time from exposure to symptoms is generally about 3 days. I was in NYC for 10 days earlier this month, was out and about a lot (I walk 15-20 miles in Manhattan every day when I am there), and spent about 2 hours every day on an express bus. On one occasion, I was sitting right in front of a woman about 1/3 my age and about 3x my weight, who was snorting for an hour without a mask (although masks are mandatory on buses, but I can see why she could not tolerate it: her nose, mouth, neck, ie, airway in general, was so encased in flesh that she could barely breathe even without a mask). It has been well over a week since then, so if I ever got anything asymptomatic, I will never know about it. But anyway, case count is rapidly dropping in South Africa (with continued low hospitalization and death rate throughout the omicron spike), so hopefully it could blow over in the US by the end of January too.
Temperature is down but she is still congested so they are watching her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement