Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2021, 02:33 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

I think the sudden spike in confirmed cases supports the CDC model. We haven't experienced anything like this.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 02:49 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've been reading the same thing. This Omicron variant may end up being a blessing in the long run especially if you're vaccinated. I currently know 3 people infected, one with a booster shot and 2 vaccinated without a booster. All mild, with cold like symptoms.

Are any of them having trouble breathing?

Old 12-25-2021, 03:10 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Are any of them having trouble breathing?
Not that I'm aware of. One does have a slight cough, but no problem breathing.

Old 12-25-2021, 03:55 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
It is spreading like wildfire here in nyc and New Jersey .

My daughter in-laws sisters family has it including their 5 month old …the adults are doing okay , not great but the 5 month old was taken to the hospital with 104 …

The temperature has come down but she still needs to be monitored

Old 12-25-2021, 04:03 AM

879 posts, read 763,902 times
I hope the baby recovers fully. That just breaks my heart.

Old 12-25-2021, 04:28 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I hope the baby recovers fully. That just breaks my heart.
Ours too …she seems to be recovering but still so sick from it..
Her parents both had it but again not hospitalized.

This is one year since my Wife and I were hospitalized with it for two weeks

Old 12-25-2021, 07:12 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
I wonder if the Omicron variant will bring the pandemic to its endemic end.

It seems that it's much more contagious so it will soon supplant delta. Although it may soon overwhelm hospitals with the stubbornly unvaccinated minority, by infecting most people, either you become immune or darwinated.

So perhaps it could be like a kindling-fed fire, suddenly bursting hot but of a short duration.

The 1918 pandemic ended when the virus mutated into an endemic cold virus.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:25 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I wonder if the Omicron variant will bring the pandemic to its endemic end.

It seems that it's much more contagious so it will soon supplant delta. Although it may soon overwhelm hospitals with the stubbornly unvaccinated minority, by infecting most people, either you become immune or darwinated.

So perhaps it could be like a kindling-fed fire, suddenly bursting hot but of a short duration.

The 1918 pandemic ended when the virus mutated into an endemic cold virus.
It looks that way but I don't know better than anyone else here. It's supposedly as contagious or more so than the measles if that's even possible. There is really no hiding from it unless you live in a remote cave and never leave regardless of normal precautions.
I had a cold a few days ago, with runny nose, sneezing, raspy throat, not feeling great and then it was gone. I didn't leave the house during those few days not to spread it but I'll never know what it was.

Old 12-25-2021, 08:47 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It looks that way but I don't know better than anyone else here. It's supposedly as contagious or more so than the measles if that's even possible. There is really no hiding from it unless you live in a remote cave and never leave regardless of normal precautions.
I had a cold a few days ago, with runny nose, sneezing, raspy throat, not feeling great and then it was gone. I didn't leave the house during those few days not to spread it but I'll never know what it was.
And if that "cold" was Covid-19, you'll likely never know.

That's what I think will happen. Most people who have cold symptoms gut it out and go to work. They don't want to waste their FTO hours on sickness. But that will cause the fire to burn.

And they'll likely not go to Walgreens and pay $25 for two at-home covid tests.

Old 12-25-2021, 08:59 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
This estimate that's been widely bandied about comes from a forecast made by CDC, not actual data. It's called "Nowcast" and is designed to make up for the lag in reporting genomic data, which is 2-3 weeks.

But, it's a forecast, based on a model. Whether or not it's accurate we won't know for several more weeks.

Estimating omicron severity suffers from a number of problems, including comparing widely differing population profiles (younger vs older, vaccinated vs not, prior infection vs not and so forth) so again, probaby premature to start celebrating. Worse, even if you have a virus strain that causes less severe disease but far more of it, you still run the risk of overwhelming our health care system so that more people die.

I say keep your seatbelt fastened: keep masking, avoid crowds, especially indoors, and for gosh sake get vaccinated and boosted. Yes, vaccines are a government plot, a plot to keep you alive...

Oh, I got everything Pfizer could offer so far, and wear two masks when I am at a grocery store or on public transportation (the only places where I am enclosed with other people). You probably got me confused with someone else, but I am a retired medical professional, not a conspiracy theorist :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement