Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2021, 08:41 AM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Troop movements during WWI helped spread the flu virus.
Yup. That's covered in The Great Influenza, the book about the 1918 epidemic. As a matter of fact, there's lots of evidence that the initial outbreak came from a military base in rural area of Kansas, jumped from one military base to another, and then was carted by American soldiers to Europe.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:17 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Hope the youngster is well by now. Small kids readily spike very high temps, which need to be brought down to protect the brain, but they otherwise don't necessarily mean the kid is severely ill. Part of the reason why the number of omicron cases is increasing so rapidly (in addition to easy transmission) is the short incubation time. The time from exposure to symptoms is generally about 3 days. I was in NYC for 10 days earlier this month, was out and about a lot (I walk 15-20 miles in Manhattan every day when I am there), and spent about 2 hours every day on an express bus. On one occasion, I was sitting right in front of a woman about 1/3 my age and about 3x my weight, who was snorting for an hour without a mask (although masks are mandatory on buses, but I can see why she could not tolerate it: her nose, mouth, neck, ie, airway in general, was so encased in flesh that she could barely breathe even without a mask). It has been well over a week since then, so if I ever got anything asymptomatic, I will never know about it. But anyway, case count is rapidly dropping in South Africa (with continued low hospitalization and death rate throughout the omicron spike), so hopefully it could blow over in the US by the end of January too.
Just the empathy you are looking for in our fine health care professionals…… WTF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 03:40 PM

492 posts, read 406,509 times
Have there been any reports of how nursing infants of vaccinated mothers fare? How much of the mother's protection passes to the infant?

Old 12-26-2021, 06:46 PM

882 posts, read 767,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I've always kind of liked Gov. Hogan for not being as out there as others, but in the last month, he's really disappointed me as he seems to be sort of straying from what he's done the last two years.

I'm close by in Virginia (and grew up in Maryland though) and we are bracing for full-on Florida behavior starting in January, if you catch my drift!! :-)
I live in VA too. I am so concerned we are about to turn into TX or FL.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:47 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I live in VA too. I am so concerned we are about to turn into TX or FL.
Count on it. Not much anyone can do about it.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:00 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Have there been any reports of how nursing infants of vaccinated mothers fare? How much of the mother's protection passes to the infant?
Here you go. Both previously infected and vaccinated moms pass antibodies in breast milk that can neutralize the virus in experiments done in the lab. Whether those antibodies provide protection to the infant and for how long is unknown at present.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/...inated-mothers

Old 12-27-2021, 02:06 PM

106,718 posts, read 108,913,061 times
All I know is we have a 5 month old still being monitored in the hospital with covid after their mom and dad got it .both vaccinated

Old 12-27-2021, 03:15 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
All I know is we have a 5 month old still being monitored in the hospital with covid after their mom and dad got it .both vaccinated
Wonder if it's Delta or Omicron. That's awfully young to be in the hospital with covid, poor thing.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:07 PM

106,718 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Wonder if it's Delta or Omicron. That's awfully young to be in the hospital with covid, poor thing.
Not sure but from the way the parents are getting over it so quickly after feeling so sick I would guess omicron

Old 12-27-2021, 06:00 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Not sure but from the way the parents are getting over it so quickly after feeling so sick I would guess omicron
You are probably right, however, being vaccinated would have probably helped with the recovery with Delta too, especially for the younger group.

Is the baby still sick or are they just watching him/her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement