Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 05:22 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 60s and basically still felt like a teenager - in my mind anyway -

I'm recovering from the Covid and it hasn't been that bad, but today

I cracked a molar! Now that just threw me for a loop

Just wandering around the house feeling sorry for myself. It doesn't hurt and i'll be getting it checked out

I just never really had issues with my teeth. Two cavities my whole life.

I do have TMJ, so that probably contributed to this

It was just so sudden. Then I realized my teeth are over a half century old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 05:40 PM

14 posts, read 11,600 times
Its funny how the little things can get a person down. I had some problems with my teeth three years ago, and it was 2 years of on and off pain and dental visits. Unlike you tho, I've had teeth problems my whole life, just because of a couple years of neglect on my part, what a dummy I was! But I basically do the same thing that you do when something like that happens, I'm not very good at being sick or in pain. We all realize at some point that we fall apart a little. I'm glad you have no pain.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:24 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I cracked a tooth in my extreme anxiety and tension in the political situation last fall. Yes, my teeth are pretty old, too, but I think it would have happened anyway.

Then, I don't understand "feeling like a teenager/feeling old." However you feel, your age is your age. If you're 67 and feel vigorous, that's 67!

Old 02-25-2021, 07:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
I cracked a molar eating a Jaw Breaker. Never happened when I was a kid.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:28 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yeah, grinding or clenching will do that.

I had a grinding problem for a while but I managed to stop. And now the anxiety has lessened and I don't need to do it.

You're so cool and laid back, though, I can't imagine you as a grinder.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,534,308 times
In March 2020, on the last day before the stay at home order in my state, I had an appointment to pick up my new hearing aids. As I was getting ready to go to the appointment I broke a tooth in the bottom front row. I was stupid, using one of those dental picks to try and clean between two teeth, and the top broke off. I called my dentist, and they told me to come within 30 minutes. I was supposed to be at the hearing aid place in 30 minutes. Nevertheless, I went to the dentist and he fixed my tooth. (Cosmetic, but really I was distraught). He said if it had happened a day later, I would have to wait four weeks for reopening.

I got to the hearing aid place before they closed for the day, and got my hearing aids in the nick of time. They had to close for four weeks also.

As I was driving home with the new hearing aids, after the dental fiasco, all the noises and sounds of cars was unbelievably loud. Apparently, this happens until they get used to you. I felt like I was 100 years old by the time I got home. So yes, things happen out of the blue to make you feel like you are falling apart.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:56 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
I consider myself active for my age but last Christmas at the airport it was a long way to the baggage claim and my under the seat bag was heavy and I was getting tired and a lady saw me and offered me a ride in a wheelchair. Nothing makes you feel old like riding in a wheelchair.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:15 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yeah, grinding or clenching will do that.

I had a grinding problem for a while but I managed to stop. And now the anxiety has lessened and I don't need to do it.

You're so cool and laid back, though, I can't imagine you as a grinder.
I don't think anxiety causing teeth grinding. I've done it forever.

I do it in my sleep and I do snore a lot and loud!

Old 02-26-2021, 05:35 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'm in my early 60s and basically still felt like a teenager - in my mind anyway -

I'm recovering from the Covid and it hasn't been that bad, but today

I cracked a molar! Now that just threw me for a loop

Just wandering around the house feeling sorry for myself. It doesn't hurt and i'll be getting it checked out

I just never really had issues with my teeth. Two cavities my whole life.

It was just so sudden. Then I realized my teeth are over a half century old!
Losing teeth is a side effect from covid.

https://www.beckersdental.com/clinic...de-effect.html

Old 02-26-2021, 06:04 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
My dad had dentures in his 50's. A lot of pain when he was going through the procedure, but afterward he was fine. I do remember when he died at 93, he slipped into a coma and when I visited, he was completely changed, really looked old with no teeth.
I'm 67 and still have my own teeth but they are falling apart. I'm missing one molar, the tooth next to it is broken, and all my upper teeth look to be in bad shape. I'll probably have dentures in a year or so. Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement