Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 02:12 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times

Advertisements

I am new to Roku and they have virtual fires, fireplaces and oceans on to relax to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 02:46 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
hope so thanks

It really will! I think most of my molars have been replaced by crowns over the years ( think all except two, one with cracks in it that will break eventually, probably when I'm eating a green bean or something) and they feel like my own teeth.

Old 02-27-2021, 03:19 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It really will! I think most of my molars have been replaced by crowns over the years ( think all except two, one with cracks in it that will break eventually, probably when I'm eating a green bean or something) and they feel like my own teeth.
Molars aren't "replaced" by crowns; they're covered (or crowned) with crowns. Molars, when extracted, are "replaced," if replaced at all, by dental implants, which are $$$...

Old 02-27-2021, 04:18 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
I just love to chew up ice cubes. I mean a lot. My dear wife says it makes to much noise, drowns out the tv, which I don't watch. One cavity my whole life, I am almost seventy four.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:48 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Default Been working the problem for 40 years.

Got two nice Mercedes Benz tied up in my upper and lower jaw.

The upper was the biggest deal as there was not enough bones for the implants. So first I got a big chunk of bone out of the back of my knee to build up the upper bone so it could take transplants.

Then the kid doctor...Full professor at USC but looked about 15 years old. But he was a techie and knew what to do. So after the first Mercedes was invested I have a few upper months of implants.

In later years a few problems with the lowers which were fixed by a local DDS/MD. There went most of the second MB.

Remaining problem is a technical one. The DDS/MD and my cardiologists are not in agreement on placing an implant in the lower right jaw. I let the cardiologist decide. He will not allow it to be done except under a local anesthetic. I am a heavy cardiac patient and he believes the risk of any general anesthetic is simply too high. I am also consulting with my long term DDS as to whether I need to fix the gap.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:26 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
The last couple of times I went to the dentist, I have a tooth where they said that we need to watch. Part of it fell off and was "glued" back together-only to have the other side fall apart. I KNOW I am going to lose the tooth-or at least have it capped. I NORMALLY go to the dentist twice a year but I haven't been in over a year thanks to Covid. I have been VERY careful with that tooth (I chew on the other side). I just don't want to lose it when I don't feel comfortable going to the dentist. (Well, I never feel comfortable but that is another story. )

The issue I really have about going to the dentist (normally-not talking Covid) is that I have EXTREMELY sensitive teeth. They always ask, "Have you tried Sensodyne?" Then I tell them that I have been using that for YEARS. Of course that is the extent of their advice.

I also had a TMJ problem. What "cure" that was (believe it or not) acupuncture. I was skeptical but it worked. It still acts up from time to time but nothing like what it used to be.

Cat

Old 02-27-2021, 06:01 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'm in my early 60s and basically still felt like a teenager - in my mind anyway -

I'm recovering from the Covid and it hasn't been that bad, but today

I cracked a molar! Now that just threw me for a loop

Just wandering around the house feeling sorry for myself. It doesn't hurt and i'll be getting it checked out

I just never really had issues with my teeth. Two cavities my whole life.

I do have TMJ, so that probably contributed to this

It was just so sudden. Then I realized my teeth are over a half century old!
I had some residual periodontal issues with my teeth and spent a small fortune on Invisalign and caps for all my front teeth. I have a couple of implants, too. It was worth the headches and the cost!! the best part is that I will likely NOT need dentures.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
I've spent half of my life in a dentist's chair. Wall to wall fillings, then eventually crowns/inlays, then bridges. The worst part was the last 20 years. Several quack dentists in that period screwed my mouth up so bad I've actually lost a whole quadrant of teeth.

It's the occlusion. They're too lazy to fix the occlusion right at the end of a restoration. Just too damned tedious to get it right, I guess. Tell you one thing, if one more dentist calls me a bruxer, I'm gonna walk out and refuse to pay.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:01 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
This reminds me, I had been neglecting my teeth for must have been nearly 15 years, so finally decided to go see a dentist as I had also been experiencing tooth pain.

I ended up needing a lot of extensive work to fix my teeth, multiple fillings and implants as they found a lot of decay under my old fillings. I will need additional work to properly fix my teeth alignment and some chips/cracks. It is a lot of money and dental insurance covers some of the procedures but not others. I figured I will spend the money now when I can afford it to properly fix my teeth so I no longer have to worry about it until I die (with proper brushing and flossing of course).

I think taking care of your teeth as you get older and before you hit retirement is very important as it can be very expensive later on when you can least afford it.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:05 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
I have dental insurance under retirement plan. So far I have paid $250 for the visits - mostly for the pain meds. They pay for the extractions but not for the shots - kind of weird. I think I am supposed to pay 50% for the implants - somewhere around $1500 or so - doesn't sound that bad. What is the normal cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement