Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 06:23 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Vintage, like fine wine Or cheese !

Cocoon, the movie, this Thread makes me recall. Also, the song, " I'm So Glad I'm Not Young Anymore .!

Smelling the roses (achoo! Allergies !) /appreciating what I'm bless, Trying to take care of what I do have ! On this journey of life, my eternal home is on the horizon !
Amen!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 06:32 AM

2,481 posts, read 1,554,963 times
Just recently my hair started to go all silver. My older brother went platinum/white within a couple years and I expect I will follow in the same manner. No more illusions of youth for me.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:50 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,060,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have so much dental work in my mouth, I am very careful about what I eat. No whole almonds or other hard nuts, nothing I need to rip with my teeth like crusty bread (I break it into pieces). My sister broke a front tooth biting off a piece of thick chocolate.

As far as tooth grinding, let's just say there are benefits to breathing through your mouth. Kind of assures you won't grind your teeth at night (I hope).
Same here. I still have all 32 teeth, but I have several crowns and numerous fillings. My grandparents all had false teeth by the time they were my age, so I can't complain too much. I know my mom had a bridge when she was much younger than I am. I think my father also ended up with a bridge. If I have to lose a tooth, I will have it replaced with an implant. I envy the young and their better dental care. Many of them grow to adulthood without any fillings.

I read a book about traveling on the Amazon river in a steamship during the early 1900s. The author commented that the 70 year-old Captain had perfect teeth, a rarity back then, especially among sailors.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:19 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
How is everyone handling dental bills? I have not been to the dentist, since the pandemic started. Newly retired. Is there good affordable Ins. out there, or are we on our own. Sorry, if this is off topic.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:35 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
I broke off a piece of a molar eating caramel popcorn. My dentist made a crown for the tooth and said I probably would not need a root canal. WRONG! All the drilling for the crown upset the tooth's nerves and I wound up with a root canal and then had to repair the crown.

Now, that same tooth is bothering me and the endodontist wants another $1400 to do another root canal, claiming it is my fault because I waited to long to get the temporary fix to the crown replaced. Hey, it was during the lockdowns. He suggested just pulling the tooth. After spending $3,000 on that tooth I am not pulling it.

The main thing is I feel if I start pulling teeth I am going down that slippery road into old age when you don't have many teeth left. It may be irrational but it makes me feel old.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:03 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
If some of you plan to replace every tooth you lose, better have a fortune socked away; each one will be THOUSANDS of dollars, and I'm not sure it's covered by insurance. I've had two molars extracted and manage just fine without them. Not freaked out by it. Yet.

Honestly, it's a travesty that dental health care isn't considered part of overall health care and covered by health insurance (excepting cosmetic procedures, just like with the body). It's certainly vital to one's overall health to be able to chew and eat food properly and also not leave pain, infections, and abcesses that can lead to sepsis or heart disease untreated.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:11 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I consider myself active for my age but last Christmas at the airport it was a long way to the baggage claim and my under the seat bag was heavy and I was getting tired and a lady saw me and offered me a ride in a wheelchair. Nothing makes you feel old like riding in a wheelchair.
Yeah, lol. I did the San Antonio River Walk in a wheelchair. We had a family reunion there right before my hip replacement. Everyone had to take turns pushing, hah.

I sure did feel old.

Sorry about your molar, OP. My problems are further down, but still, it´s those old used parts that get us.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:36 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If some of you plan to replace every tooth you lose, better have a fortune socked away; each one will be THOUSANDS of dollars, and I'm not sure it's covered by insurance. I've had two molars extracted and manage just fine without them. Not freaked out by it. Yet.

Honestly, it's a travesty that dental health care isn't considered part of overall health care and covered by health insurance (excepting cosmetic procedures, just like with the body). It's certainly vital to one's overall health to be able to chew and eat food properly and also not leave pain, infections, and abcesses that can lead to sepsis or heart disease untreated.
I totally agree!

Old 02-27-2021, 10:18 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I consider myself active for my age but last Christmas at the airport it was a long way to the baggage claim and my under the seat bag was heavy and I was getting tired and a lady saw me and offered me a ride in a wheelchair. Nothing makes you feel old like riding in a wheelchair.
Yeah, I could see where being offered a ride in a wheelchair because someone thought you needed it would make you feel old. Then add feeling a few years older when you were happy to take them up on the offer.

I don't think I've felt quite as old as the time I got the lecture from a nurse during a PCP followup call after a trip to the ER for a broken wrist, bang on the head from a fall. I considered the fall due to my carelessness. I was carrying a bundle of clean sheets and towels that were piled over my head, some of the stuff fell out onto the floor, some between my legs as I kept walking and I tripped over it, banging my head into the sliding glass door and my hand/wrist, as I put it out to break the fall, mushed right into the slider tracks with the hand bent up on the glass. . Careless, but not an old person fall, as I see it. As my PCP said, anybody could do that and she had carried laundry that way many times.

Nevertheless the nurse went on and on about the precautions an older person must take to prevent falls, from taking out all the throw rugs in the house, to grab bars in the bathroom, to extra nightlights at night, to canes and walkers as needed. She went on like that even though I had described how I had fallen. I guess it was just her job to talk to me as though I was a 5 yr old or a 95 yr old with advanced dementia, so I thanked her for the information and told her my take home message from the consequences of this fall was to carry smaller loads of laundry, nothing piled up over my head and not well anchored.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:26 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Nevertheless the nurse went on and on about the precautions an older person must take to prevent falls, from taking out all the throw rugs in the house, to grab bars in the bathroom, to extra nightlights at night, to canes and walkers as needed. She went on like that even though I had described how I had fallen. I guess it was just her job to talk to me as though I was a 5 yr old or a 95 yr old with advanced dementia, so I thanked her for the information and told her my take home message from the consequences of this fall was to carry smaller loads of laundry, nothing piled up over my head and not well anchored.
I only felt old once: the day after my spine decompression surgery. They brought me a walker in the hospital and tried to get me to use it. I didn't need it and I didn't see the point to the exercise. I could have left the hospital leaning on DH's arm.

But it was mine and when I got home, I tossed it in the garage. All I need now is a toilet chair and I can have an old people garage sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement