Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2021, 06:19 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,105,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The moisture and sweat under the gloves should give the food a nice flavor!
That's why you prep with the outside part!

I use gloves often for food prep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Just walked through Eddie Bauer. A simple flannel shirt was $90. A puffer jacket is $250. Yes, there were 30% discounts, but still, it’s just awful. I don’t know who is buying this stuff. People on fixed incomes certainly aren’t.
How do you define a fixed income? A very wealthy person with 100 million in fixed income assets probably is if they want to.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
There’s an outlet in a shopping center by my house. I don’t remember it being anywhere nearly this high, but that $90 flannel, 30% off, is $63. Still nuts.
Did you buy it?

Old 12-18-2021, 06:27 PM

43,343 posts, read 18,477,138 times
Quote:
Just walked through Eddie Bauer. A simple flannel shirt was $90. A puffer jacket is $250. Yes, there were 30% discounts, but still, it’s just awful. I don’t know who is buying this stuff. People on fixed incomes certainly aren’t.
Try walking through Kohl's instead. Why are you walking through Eddie Bauer if you cannot afford their clothes ?

Old 12-18-2021, 06:34 PM

13,104 posts, read 7,578,172 times
Re #331
Many decades ago, DW was a quality manager at a major chicken processor.
Getting fresh killed chicken 60 minutes after kill, not a problem. Tender meat but not something to rant and rave.
A farmer friend gave us some Muscovy live ducks-toughest bird in the world even though I fresh killed it. Ugly too.
Canadian goose and wild duck shot from the sky are tough too. Keep floss handy. You can eat the shot now, since its iron. I'm sometimes pretty stupid-ate the leadshot when I was young.
Only raw seafood I'd eat are cockle clams that I had to chase down with my toes, Sweet and nice texture. I would never eat shell food, raw, in the summer. Never worry about the clam's alimentary canal contents-predigested food. Clamming tides this week, evening tides. I do draw the line on raw fish-too many parasitic worms.
Don't particularly like fresh lettuce and like leafy greens, picked hours ago-the latex is bitter. But i'm lazy, so I'll pick, wash and eat within an hour. You, should wait until the latex degrades more.

The bee comb-hint, let the honey melt in your mouth, don't chew. Spit out the wax. it doesn't get digested anyway. I used to just chew on it like gum. Honey is too sweet for me.

What you don't know about your food, generally won't harm you. So eat hearty.
wife and I are not much fun at fancy meals.
YTMV

Old 12-18-2021, 06:54 PM

13,104 posts, read 7,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
A pack of oxtail for stew, previously $22, now $52. That brought inflation home to me!
FredMeyer (Kroger) $11.99/#; ~$19.78/pkg. Dec 18, 2021.
DW comments on that too. Boneless meat is cheaper . We shop frequently at an asian food store-big inventory turns. May have to check out the latino butcher & grocer, who is closer to us anyway.

Old 12-18-2021, 07:09 PM

35,152 posts, read 31,453,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Try walking through Kohl's instead. Why are you walking through Eddie Bauer if you cannot afford their clothes ?
Could I afford it? Sure. Would I pay $90 MSRP for a flannel or $250 for a puffer jacket that I could all get for a third of the price or less at Kohls or Sams? No.

I do have quite a bit of Eddie Bauer. I haven’t been in recently, but these prices are way higher than I remember.

Old 12-18-2021, 07:12 PM

198 posts, read 109,714 times
Dump fee is part of our property taxes so the mentality is the dump is free. You can acquire junk from the dump and just take it back anything you don't want at no cost. Our dump has some really good stuff

County Supervisor almost has an entire flower and vegetable garden created by crap tossed out the dump. In this small town, you drive by and see your stuff outside other people's houses. Why drive into town risking COVID?

It's really strange to see wealthy people suddenly get into repurposing items. "Hey look, I found a perfectly usable hammer! does anyone want this??"" Then when you say no they look disappointed then keep digging in the dumpster for something better. People now cogregate at the dump. Some even buying coffee sitting out there on donated chairs. COVID + Inflation has people doing things they normally wouldn't. Too funny

Old 12-18-2021, 07:15 PM

35,152 posts, read 31,453,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
How do you define a fixed income? A very wealthy person with 100 million in fixed income assets probably is if they want to.
I’m talking about a lower to middle class retiree with SS, moderate income coming from investment drawdowns, and maybe a small pension.

Those aren’t the type of people pay $90 for flannels that might have been $50-$60 a couple years ago.

Old 12-18-2021, 07:17 PM

198 posts, read 109,714 times
Eddie Bauer is the New Macy's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement