Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 09:39 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
It’s all relative too. We may look wealthy to some and not to others. There are also hidden elements such as health care costs and in our case we are helping out two relatives monetarily each month for a year or two , one to help pay for care for our dear mother in law with dementia and the other a single mother who is owed several thousand in child support and can’t pay for babysitting( can’t even find a babysitter in her area) or daycare.

I find the resentment towards seniors so narrow minded, prejudiced and unfair.
I have never found any resentment towards seniors. Maybe its just where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 09:43 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We spent $37 dollars today... for sandwiches.

Well, the turmeric milk, mushroom hot cocoa, and dandelion soda didn't help. The sandwiches were good, but not exceptional.

It was part of a day, hiking in the snow, etc. I admit a bit of sticker shock. It made for a nice day though.
Was that before tax & tip?

Old 12-20-2021, 09:47 AM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Was that before tax & tip?
Before the tip.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2021, 09:57 AM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Millions of livestock were killed during 2020 due to Covid when shipping suddenly shut down or slowed down. There is way less meat in America due to this. Meat prices are getting a double whammy of inflation but also due to the massive kill off.

Old 12-20-2021, 11:20 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
^please, use "Harvesting" or "shipping to market"

Old 12-20-2021, 11:33 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To be frank, who would expect a college student to have the current income sufficient to cover the cost of an expensive student loan?

I worked at Walmart, Food City, did some PC repair/building, and some construction type work during college. It was low income work. I might have made $13,000 on my best years. My primary focus was school. No one would have loaned me money based on my then current income.

With regard to inflation, the best you can hope for with a student loan is a fixed rate, and that your wages scale up quickly enough to pay the loan back.

This board skews extremely affluent. I wouldn't use most of the people on this board as any sort of proxy for a typical senior in American society.

One person who posts frequently, but in spurts, was particularly interesting to me. Based on the person's user names, where they went to grad school/worked (they've freely shared this information on public posts many times), and a good bit of Googling/research, I figured out who the person was. Sure enough, the name I found ties back to the same user name they use on C-D (and other places), as well as where the C-D poster has said they live. This person has at least $10,000,000 invested between properties. If they have $10,000,000 in property, they are probably worth at least a few tens of millions more.

I know some people who are doing pretty well. I don't personally know (at least that I know of) anyone on a first name basis with that level of affluence.

I know that's not common, but even a typical "moved from the coasts to the heartland" person with a pension, could easily have hundreds of thousands in home equity contributing to their net worth, have a net worth of a couple million dollars, and have a lucrative (at least by the local) standards. There's probably a couple dozen people reading this post in the latter scenario.
More than a dozen. Get out of the sticks and lower income area and you could discover a whole new world.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:52 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We spent $37 dollars today... for sandwiches.

Well, the turmeric milk, mushroom hot cocoa, and dandelion soda didn't help. The sandwiches were good, but not exceptional.

It was part of a day, hiking in the snow, etc. I admit a bit of sticker shock. It made for a nice day though.
What is mushroom hot cocoa?

Old 12-20-2021, 02:27 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
What is mushroom hot cocoa?

Hot chocolate with mushroom "superfood" added. You can buy it all over, also mushroom coffee is popular.

You can't taste it in the hot chocolate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2021, 02:36 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I have never heard of it.

Old 12-20-2021, 03:07 PM

43,092 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Millions of livestock were killed during 2020 due to Covid when shipping suddenly shut down or slowed down. There is way less meat in America due to this. Meat prices are getting a double whammy of inflation but also due to the massive kill off.
It's called "culling" and they didn't kill off all the livestock. Stockers were kept and allowed to grow on pasture rather than shipped off to the sales barn. Ranchers just didn't breed their cows. You keep the bull in one pasture and the girls in another.

And livestock has recovered. Cattle prices are actually down right now. Pigs can have up to 3 litters a year.

(I had a cow/calf operation in Texas)

Live cattle spot price:
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...e-cattle-price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement