Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 12:34 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,377,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Some of us don’t even regular access to a Costco, much less Wegmans. The food quality where I’m from isn’t remotely comparable to metro Raleigh.
I gave up Costco many years ago when I was about your age. As a single person and not buying for a family, I learned I could save lots of money by not shopping there. The only thing I missed was the pizza.
If you ever have to put yourself on a budget, you learn what products are necessary and what products are frivolous. I learned most things from Costco I was buying were frivolous and in quantities that made no sense at all for a single person.
It made far more sense for me to watch what was going on sale at the supermarket and buy just what I needed for a week or two, not six months worth.

Last edited by marino760; 12-27-2021 at 12:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 03:12 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times
Being there is just two of us there is little we can use at Costco .

Once or 2x a year we will get toilet paper and paper towels .but the food products except for peanut butter and tuna fish are just way to much for us .

You can easily over spend at Costco ..it isnt like you pay a small package of cookies or goodies ..you buy a case .

I once bought maple syrup from Costco ..i put it in my will since there will be a lot left

Old 12-27-2021, 04:44 AM

7,811 posts, read 3,392,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I gave up Costco many years ago when I was about your age. As a single person and not buying for a family, I learned I could save lots of money by not shopping there. The only thing I missed was the pizza.
If you ever have to put yourself on a budget, you learn what products are necessary and what products are frivolous. I learned most things from Costco I was buying were frivolous and in quantities that made no sense at all for a single person.
It made far more sense for me to watch what was going on sale at the supermarket and buy just what I needed for a week or two, not six months worth.

I have severe allergies and I use their over the counter medications section. It saves a ton of money. I also use the Costco Visa for the 4% gas discount. I used to just pay the membership every other year (and load up). I actually like buying in bulk because then I don't have to go to the store all the time. I buy cleaning products and various other things that are way cheaper there (that I consistently use). I can go to my local grocery (in and out in 10 minutes because I am not having to buy all that other crxp all the time). When I used Costco every other year I used Target in between (and Target has certain things I can't get at Costco).

They will deliver now; but, I haven't tried that.

I really just don't have time to mess around with buying 2 weeks of stuff. Maybe when I'm retired (and downsize)... I know I lived that way for years; but, now I am not sure how I lived like that -- LOL. I kind of have a general store concept going on here (I don't need to leave the house for months)...

Old 12-27-2021, 04:45 AM

Costco has great prices on hearing aids and glasses , which is why we joined.

We can also get deliveries from them via instacart even though they are not near us

Old 12-27-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Costco has great prices on hearing aids and glasses , which is why we joined

I have been using Visionworks for glasses for a couple decades. I am way overdue as I haven't seen a doctor since 2019 (due to all this fun we are having). I am ten years behind you MJ; but, I have my share of special health issues. So far my hearing is fine (probably because I was too much of a nerd and did not go to many concerts -- I don't like crowds )

My sister 17 years senior to me does have a hearing aid; but, that's due to a benign brain tumor.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I have been using Visionworks for glasses for a couple decades. I am way overdue as I haven't seen a doctor since 2019 (due to all this fun we are having). I am ten years behind you MJ; but, I have my share of special health issues. So far my hearing is fine (probably because I was too much of a nerd and did not go to many concerts -- I don't like crowds )

My sister 17 years senior to me does have a hearing aid; but, that's due to a benign brain tumor.
Ironically being a drummer my hearing is fine ..but my wife has pretty much lost hearing in one ear for some unknown reason that they can’t identify…she hears fine with the hearing aid .

She thinks it is from all the years we shot on a competitive shooting team but I have my doubts that is why .

But Costco is half price ..our local hearing testing center told her to go there rather then even buy from them.

They wanted 1600 for one and Costco was 800 …

Old 12-27-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Ironically being a drummer my hearing is fine ..but my wife has pretty much lost hearing in one ear for some unknown reason that they can’t identify…she hears fine with the hearing aid .

She thinks it is from all the years we shot on a competitive shooting team but I have my doubts that is why .

But Costco is half price ..our local hearing testing center told her to go there rather then even buy from them.

They wanted 1600 for one and Costco was 800 …
Good to know; my age 70 friends don't need them (so far). I am hoping to avoid it; but, it is something to keep in mind. Sorry to hear your wife has to deal with that; but, I hear they are getting super high tech nowadays.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:04 AM

They are so small and do a great job .

The hearing center told her she needs two hearing aids even though it was one ear …they said she would be uncomfortable with just one in the way it balances

Costco said nope , one will be fine and it is fine.

For 200 bucks she got a great pair of glasses with progressive lenses …we always pay at least 400- 500 locally

Old 12-27-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:
They are so small and do a great job .

The hearing center told her she needs two hearing aids even though it was one ear …they said she would be uncomfortable with just one in the way it balances

Costco said nope , one will be fine and it is fine.

For 200 bucks she got a great pair of glasses with progressive lenses …we always pay at least 400- 500 locally

I need to check into Costco for glasses; but, I buy a similar frame every time (cat eye) and they may not have the frames I like I've delayed so long now. I may have missed 1-2 cycles of updating the prescription. I might get it done next year (depending on C-19). I may be running around with colon cancer because I was supposed to go back in 2015; but, I was busy getting diagnosed with cancer and asthma. Then, C-19 happened. So, I probably should do that next year -- LOL. I don't mind going down with propofol. I actually had a doctor do a simoidoscopy in his office once (that was painful)... LOL I'm dating myself.

If Costco or Amazon could do colonoscopies then I'd be impressed

Old 12-27-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I need to check into Costco for glasses; but, I buy a similar frame every time (cat eye) and they may not have the frames I like I've delayed so long now. I may have missed 1-2 cycles of updating the prescription. I might get it done next year (depending on C-19). I may be running around with colon cancer because I was supposed to go back in 2015; but, I was busy getting diagnosed with cancer and asthma. Then, C-19 happened. So, I probably should do that next year -- LOL. I don't mind going down with propofol. I actually had a doctor do a simoidoscopy in his office once (that was painful)... LOL I'm dating myself.

If Costco or Amazon could do colonoscopies then I'd be impressed
They do , but they are not professionally done ……I saw Walmart has express dental - 6 teeth or less. Ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement