Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 06:07 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Of course. The same is true among other age cohorts - those in their 50s, their 40s, etc.

However when you look at both the mean and median, and also look at the percentage of each age cohort that has achieved affluence, seniors win the prize in all categories.
This has more to do with markets being good and the time to let investments grow - the next group that is in their 50s will see the same when they get to be "seniors" in a decade. A decade can double savings with an average market gain even without adding to savings, with added savings can be much higher. Time value of money is one of the most reliable ways to increase net worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I'd sign up through Amazon instead then because I prefer the Whole Foods Organic Rotisserie chicken.
I prefer the Costco chicken. We have 2 Costco's within 5 miles of our house in CA but the closest Whole Foods is about 15 miles away.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:42 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I gave up Costco many years ago when I was about your age. As a single person and not buying for a family, I learned I could save lots of money by not shopping there. The only thing I missed was the pizza.
If you ever have to put yourself on a budget, you learn what products are necessary and what products are frivolous. I learned most things from Costco I was buying were frivolous and in quantities that made no sense at all for a single person.
It made far more sense for me to watch what was going on sale at the supermarket and buy just what I needed for a week or two, not six months worth.
I have a pretty good sized garage with quite a bit of shelving, so I'll buy the big things of paper products and whatnot. I always buy soft drinks and beer at the wholesale club. I'll buy some frozen foods at the wholesale clubs. I got a 10 pack of knockoff frozen Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwich for like $16. Frozen chicken is a common staple in my freezer. I make a lot of smoothies for breakfast, so I buy the bulk frozen berries and orange juice. Occasionally a gallon of milk, Greek yogurt, but yeah, it's usually stuff that can be frozen/sat on the shelf, and something I use a lot of.

I share a Sam's Plus membership with my parents. It's like $110/year for the membership, but you get 2% cash back, up to a $500 rebate per year. Three cars (and my girlfriend's about once a week) get filled up mostly at Sam's. Tires. We got something like $120 back on the rebate last year.

I filled up for $2.74 today at Sam's, and the next cheapest gas I found was $2.94 on GasBuddy. It all adds up over the course of a year.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:16 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I prefer the Costco chicken. We have 2 Costco's within 5 miles of our house in CA but the closest Whole Foods is about 15 miles away.
I prefer the cheap run of the mill whole raw chicken at the regular grocery store and make whatever kind of chicken I want to myself. I'm retired. It's not like I don't have time to stick a chicken in the oven or in a crock pot. Often times, I'll make chicken broth first and save that for soup, then use the meat for enchiladas, chicken chili, chicken salad, whatever. Or I can roast the chicken myself and make several nice meals out of it with crispy tasty skin without drying out the bird. If I'm feeling a little crazy, I'll even make stuffing.
I find it very liberating now that i'm retired and have time to do such things.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I prefer the cheap run of the mill whole raw chicken at the regular grocery store and make whatever kind of chicken I want to myself. I'm retired. It's not like I don't have time to stick a chicken in the oven or in a crock pot. Often times, I'll make chicken broth, then use the meat for enchiladas, chicken chili, chicken salad, whatever. Or I can roast the chicken myself and make several nice meals out of it with crispy tasty skin without drying out the bird.
It is hard to beat the Costco chicken - a whole chicken roasted for $5 - never had a dry one. It is hard to get a whole raw chicken for that price where I live.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:13 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
It is hard to beat the Costco chicken - a whole chicken roasted for $5 - never had a dry one. It is hard to get a whole raw chicken for that price where I live.
I know prices can vary quite a bit. I recently bought a pretty large one for just of few dollars. It was about 99 cents a pound. It had so much meat on it I ended up freezing some after making broth and chicken salad. A whole fresh chicken can feed me for almost a week depending on how I use it and I like to eat.
I haven't bought a ready cooked roasted chicken in years probably. It was from a grocery store, not costco and was small and dry, not very cheap either for what I got. That was the last time I bought one from anywhere.

Last edited by marino760; 12-28-2021 at 02:24 AM..

Old 12-28-2021, 10:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
they sell a lot of them and hard to pass up. Slice when you get home and chicken salad and chicken sandwiches all at a great price.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:29 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Some of us don’t even regular access to a Costco, much less Wegmans. The food quality where I’m from isn’t remotely comparable to metro Raleigh.
Ummm but you do have access to a Sam's Club as you mention in a another post.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:30 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
My problem is that I only eat half of a chicken. I don't like white mean, they tend to be dry. So I eat mostly leg& thigh, plus the wing. Poor DW ended up with white meat.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:30 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Walmart's rotisserie chicken is still $5 and delicious. I get four full meals out of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement