Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2021, 05:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times

Advertisements

digital coupons (which I greatly dislike dealing with, since we don't have internet at home)

This afternoon receipt = $37 for groceries, and savings = $68.90
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 07:53 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,987,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You just had to bring up Harris Ranch feed lot didn't you? /cry I hate driving past that, those poor cows knee deep in their own you know what. Every time I've driven past it I quit eating meat for several months. Maybe I should just park outside of it for a few hours and I could finally give up meat.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shame anyone. It kills me too every time I see those poor animals. I still don't understand why they put the feedlot right next to the freeway. If it's supposed to promote Harris beef, I think it's having the opposite effect.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:44 PM

42,863 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shame anyone. It kills me too every time I see those poor animals. I still don't understand why they put the feedlot right next to the freeway. If it's supposed to promote Harris beef, I think it's having the opposite effect.
I didn't feel like you shamed me, but reading it caused me to relive that sight and smell. The only thing worse was when I was about 10 and my dad took me fishing near a whaling station. Watching whales being brought in, weak but still trying to fight for their life while several men were slaughtering them.... I had nightmares about it for years. That whaling station was owned and operated by Del Monte until the early 70's.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There Prime Strip were the only steaks we got until Covid and we started doing Sous Vide. That led us to online dry aged strips and once we hit stores again Wegmans dry aged. Sous Vide and Costco steaks are a no go for me.
Is that because Costco blade tenderizes their beef? I've wondered how blade tenderizing would affect sous vide

Old 12-23-2021, 01:35 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Is that because Costco blade tenderizes their beef? I've wondered how blade tenderizing would affect sous vide
Absolutely yes. There are ways to calculate how long you have to cook for and at what temperature in order to kill any bacteria but not worth it when dry aged has a better natural taste and you can pick out the well marbled steaks that are top choice.
Costco labels there steaks saying that if grilling cook to internal temp of 145. They need to add the additional line to then slice with a chain saw.

Blade tenderizing allows surface bacteria to penetrate into the meat. It isn't just temp that kills the bacteria but the length of time the meat is at that temp. Normal grilling you pull when your meat heats your targeted temp which may not be long enough.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:32 PM

I agree, I don't buy blade tenderized meat period. I have a hand blade tenderizer and I know how easy it would be to introduce bacteria to a piece of meat if you aren't meticulous in cleaning it. I just wasn't sure what impact blade tenderizing would have on Sous Vide. I quit buying Costco meat, if I'm going to eat beef it's certainly not going to be @ 145 degrees.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:44 PM

106,789 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Absolutely yes. There are ways to calculate how long you have to cook for and at what temperature in order to kill any bacteria but not worth it when dry aged has a better natural taste and you can pick out the well marbled steaks that are top choice.
Costco labels there steaks saying that if grilling cook to internal temp of 145. They need to add the additional line to then slice with a chain saw.

Blade tenderizing allows surface bacteria to penetrate into the meat. It isn't just temp that kills the bacteria but the length of time the meat is at that temp. Normal grilling you pull when your meat heats your targeted temp which may not be long enough.
There is nothing like good aged properly cooked steaks .

I enjoy Peter Lugers and Morton …..also when we were in Chicago , the Chicago cut steak house was tops ..expensive but tops .

These steaks are cooked in ovens 2x the temperature of our home stoves.

The 800-900 degree ovens sear and seal the aged steaks locking in the juices and flavor ….the steaks are actually taken out of the ovens and cooked on the 800 degree plate to perfection.

We have not been traveling much because of covid but we have been ramping up our food budget

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-23-2021 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-23-2021, 04:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
Haven't had a steak in probably 40 years. Haven't eaten hamburger in 35 years.

Red meat is not healthy. (yes, I know occasional does not hurt for many people)

Old 12-23-2021, 04:38 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Quote:
There Prime Strip were the only steaks we got until Covid and we started doing Sous Vide. That led us to online dry aged strips and once we hit stores again Wegmans dry aged. Sous Vide and Costco steaks are a no go for me.
I like my steaks on grill, extra char please. Have you ever sous vide a cheap cut like an eye round? It becomes a beautiful roast. i like it better than prime rib.

Mechanically tenderized will be on the label if that is the case.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-24-2021, 02:22 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Fortunately for me, ice cream has never been a necessity on my adult menu. I had when I was at Mom's house and bought it when I had dental surgery but other wise, I was never buying it for myself. So when the Doctor told me I was a Type II....well that was one item that was no loss on the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement