Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2022, 06:43 AM

106,950 posts, read 109,218,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Or, you can add tow coverage to your auto insurance plan, which is what I have.
Make sure your insurer does not report your roadside assistance claims to CLUE as many do .

CLUE is like your credit score but it is the equal to the reporting agencies for credit .

Clue is used when you shop for insurance and is used to price you .

Every claim that is not reimbursed to your insurance company regardless of fault dings your insurance score .

Ran out of gas or locked your keys in the car ? That can be taken as being an un attentive driver .

To many service calls ,boosts or tire changes , you are portrayed as driving a poorly maintained car .

You can check your clue report free once a year …run home and auto , they are separate…..

You can get it on the legal side lexis nexus.

All my jeep buddies who had glass claims got hammered when they got dropped by their insurer and had to shop for insurance …

Clue was filled with glass claims

Old 01-08-2022, 06:44 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
He drove all night, and he has glaucoma. I'm surprised he made it.
Huh. That's true, I hadn't thought about it that way. He does have one relatively good eye. There are appts with all his eye docs next week. He hates that visual field test. I used to kid him about my excellent peripheral vision...that was before we found out he's slowly going blind. I don't tease him about that any more. But so far the eye drops are working and his vision is stable.

He's always been great at night driving. He'll leave the Bay Area in the late afternoon, then show up in Scottsdale 16 hours later. There are stops for fast food. Sometimes he takes a nap sitting up. Even so, I couldn't do it.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:50 AM

5,253 posts, read 6,186,328 times
Good luck Fluffy.

Fifty and sixty years ago life was simpler, divorce was a stigmatism, women stayed at home and when men retired the husband and wife nested in place surrounded by nearby friends and families.

Fast forward and we retirees are breaking new ground, technology and innovation are changing our lives and many of us are becoming nomadic or leaving their homes where they raised their families for years to new destinations totally different both culturally and geographically.

I enjoy even one’s stories, the pains, gains and joys. For me it’s not to keep me from boredom but I learn a lot from everyone’s experiences. You can read text books on planning for retirement or living through it but nothing can prepare you more than hearing about real life experiences from those living it.

For me, seven months and we start a new chapter. Happy New Years

Old 01-08-2022, 06:51 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
And yet YOU called HIM when you needed help.
It's his car and I was doing him a favor. Who should I have called, Ryan Reynolds? Then he and Hugh Jackman could make an amusing video about it.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:56 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,807,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

He's always been great at night driving. He'll leave the Bay Area in the late afternoon, then show up in Scottsdale 16 hours later. There are stops for fast food. Sometimes he takes a nap sitting up. Even so, I couldn't do it.
Ouch, I drove (once) from Littlerock AR to Taos, NM with 3 stops, it was 17 hours......My hat is off to him doing that.

Glad you're safe.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:56 AM

10,119 posts, read 6,473,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Make sure your insurer does not report your roadside assistance claims to CLUE as many do .

CLUE is like your credit score but it is the equal to the reporting agencies for credit .

Clue is used when you shop for insurance and is used to price you .

Every claim that is not reimbursed to your insurance company regardless of fault dings your insurance score .

Ran out of gas or locked your keys in the car ? That can be taken as being an un attentive driver .

To many service calls ,boosts or tire changes , you are portrayed as driving a poorly maintained car .

You can check your clue report free once a year …run home and auto , they are separate…..

You can get it on the legal side lexis nexus.

All my jeep buddies who had glass claims got hammered when they got dropped by their insurer and had to shop for insurance …

Clue was filled with glass claims
Is this true even if you use AAA?

Old 01-08-2022, 08:08 AM

11,186 posts, read 9,809,257 times
I got AAA as soon as I was divorced. That and a cell phone. It was 1993, and I never leave the house without either of them in the past almost 40 years. I vowed I'd never be stranded and have to call him. Now, even though I have a wonderful hubby, even he can't tow a dead car without a tow truck, so we've kept it all these years. Because we traveled in the mountains, and around the country, we always get the premium plan because long distance towing is expensive, and we're willing to pay the extra for peace of mind. We've even added trailer towing to our tow plans for when we are using the travel trailer. As American Express says "Don't leave home without it".

Unfortunately the folks up in Virginia last week learned another valuable lesson. Don't travel in freezing weather without warm clothes, snacks, water, and blankets/sleeping bag, unless you're just driving locally to places where you could get out and walk to safety if you had to. The interstate in a snow event??? You better bring all the gear, including something to help you drive out of a "stuck in the snow" situation. I keep a blanket with an outer waterproof layer stowed in my spare tire well at all times too, just in case. It's been a lifesaver so many times. Like the boy scouts....be prepared.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:15 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,982,238 times
Quote:
Some millionaires are pretty frugal.
One must know the difference between frugal and foolish.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,526,569 times
Quote:
Oh, I forgot to mention: When he arrived yesterday, the first thing he said was, "Why don't you go out to the highway and see if you can find the part that fell off?"
I think the two of you better shape up ,forget all these adventuresome endeavors and plan on more couch potato activities!

Old 01-08-2022, 08:32 AM

106,950 posts, read 109,218,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Is this true even if you use AAA?
No , they are not an insurance company…it is insurers that may report their road side assistance to clue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.