Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2022, 04:19 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times

Advertisements

Oh, I forgot to mention: When he arrived yesterday, the first thing he said was, "Why don't you go out to the highway and see if you can find the part that fell off?"

Old 01-08-2022, 04:25 AM

11,080 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No AC in any of my cars (or house).

I think my spouse complained about that ONCE (~40 yrs

We all go though challenges and trials, it sharpens us up, and also knocks the chips off our shoulders.

I have come to expect this drama from some posters, that's fine... just makes the rest of us more grateful for what we have, and even for what we don't have! (Someone to constantly toss under the bus) Reminds me of a few bosses I have had. + my inlaws. (Fight / argue all the time, for fun I guess... 60+ yrs of it).

Very glad for what I have! in the form of a non-contentious home relationship, or desire to degrade each other
Realy now. Seems rather judgmental to me. Some of us saw those couple of qualifiers you put in there.

As for your spouse, perhaps she learned not to.... not worth it.

Those of us who've always had more challenges, especially the ones through no fault of our own, get picked on like we're inferior or lack judgment when a lot of life is simply the luck of the draw.

I share my negative experiences with others on here in order to help others since a lot of people haven't been through the harrowing s--t I've been through. When I see people on here about to make the same mistakes I made or get duped like I did (another thread) I want to help, not turn away - or worse, judge and then turn away.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:39 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Those of us who've always had more challenges, especially the ones through no fault of our own, get picked on like we're inferior or lack judgment when a lot of life is simply the luck of the draw.
True dat. In my early twenties I made the mistake of falling in love with a man who was both brainy -- which to me is like catnip to a cat -- and handsome. I knew nothing about his dysfunctional parents or his warped upbringing.

Quote:
I share my negative experiences with others on here in order to help others since a lot of people haven't been through the harrowing s--t I've been through. When I see people on here about to make the same mistakes I made or get duped like I did (another thread) I want to help, not turn away - or worse, judge and then turn away.
{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Old 01-08-2022, 04:47 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In post #1, OP refers to 'stbx's 21 year old car' - stbx means 'soon to be ex'

The marriage has been in the process of being dissolved (and separated) a number of times over years - and then reconciliations occurred and occur in the past.

In answer to your observations above, you'll find that Retirement forum posters are extremely - and that means extremely - loyal to long term Retirement forum posters, no matter what the long-term posters do in their life. (or believe)

It's just a given to many Retirement forum posters that they will support, compliment effusively, and be loyal to long-term posters, no matter how daft or ill-advised or mentally unstable or having character flaws or mental disorders or low in some attributes (and some shorter term posters too). (not saying this applies to current OP)

It is quite a psychological phenomena to always see this (the extreme loyalty) play out. I attribute a lot of it to that Retirement forum posters are VERY happy and grateful that posters KEEP POSTING, especially long-term posters, so that they have something to read and to respond to on the forum to keep themselves interested, repel boredom, and be involved in.
I thought "stbx" was the type of car involved in all this

Old 01-08-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In answer to your observations above, you'll find that Retirement forum posters are extremely - and that means extremely - loyal to long term Retirement forum posters, no matter what the long-term posters do in their life. (or believe)

It's just a given to many Retirement forum posters that they will support, compliment effusively, and be loyal to long-term posters, no matter how daft or ill-advised or mentally unstable or having character flaws or mental disorders or low in some attributes (and some shorter term posters too). (not saying this applies to current OP)

It is quite a psychological phenomena to always see this (the extreme loyalty) play out. I attribute a lot of it to that Retirement forum posters are VERY happy and grateful that posters KEEP POSTING, especially long-term posters, so that they have something to read and to respond to on the forum to keep themselves interested, repel boredom, and be involved in.
Including you, matisse?

Some of us on here are a lot more people-oriented and empathic than others.

I don't believe you weren't referring to the OP in the quote above.

Thankfully I was never influenced to change my basic nature by all those corporate jack----s I worked for, for 30+ years.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:22 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,534,308 times
He drove all night, and he has glaucoma. I'm surprised he made it.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:39 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Won't help you now, but when I retired and moved to the northern Rockies, I knew I'd be doing some traveling and sprung for the AAA Premium. Expensive, but gives something like a 250 mile tow when needed. Thankfully, I haven't needed it yet.
Or, you can add tow coverage to your auto insurance plan, which is what I have.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We are fundamentally incompatible, in pretty much every way I can think of. He doesn't want to see it, because that means he would be alone. I either have to leave, or change myself in ways that are abhorrent to me, thereby regretting spending what's left of my life by keeping him from getting lonely.
{{{hugs backatcha fluffy}}}

This is why so many long-term marriages in later years fail. I left mine in my late 30s because I simply could not stand it anymore (was being cattle-prodded while he was being coached by his disgruntled divorced coworkers). I do know a lot of people who are basically - and I mean very basically -compatible on a day-to-day level but are miserable in their 40+-year marriage.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:33 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think asking for the car was an excuse to see me again and worm himself back into my life. I'm starting to think I will never be able to live my life the way I want and need. He thinks he owns me.
Why not? You can make your own decisions as well. Please don't be like my late sister and be trapped for the rest of your life. It's not worth it, believe me.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:40 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,004,124 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think asking for the car was an excuse to see me again and worm himself back into my life. I'm starting to think I will never be able to live my life the way I want and need. He thinks he owns me.
And yet YOU called HIM when you needed help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.