Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2022, 08:21 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times

Advertisements

And I honestly pictured y'all as millionaires and so would have no need to do these type of vehicle transfers. It is pretty desolate out there.

If he wants the vehicle - hire a transport company.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:04 PM

15 posts, read 11,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The Jetta was full. When he arrived in a Jeep something-or-another he'd rented, it was full too. Now it's full plus. The Jetta was towed to a garage in Kingman. Using AAA, it was about $199.

I'm sure glad I had that insulated coat but I forgot about my lower legs and feet, which were like ice when I woke up this morning.

I wish I had not undertaken this trip. But the lure of getting the RV back was too much to resist. I give the spouse credit for driving all night. That could not have been easy.
YAY, Fluffy! I'm so glad that you got rescued at last! I have been in similar situations. I was much younger then but it still was terribly unpleasant. After I read this thread, it really made me rethink some travel plans I was contemplating with my old Jeep. Might be a lot smarter to just suck it up and rent a newer vehicle if I want to do some solitary adventuring when the weather warms up again.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:08 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing Woman View Post

YAY, Fluffy! I'm so glad that you got rescued at last! I have been in similar situations. I was much younger then but it still was terribly unpleasant. After I read this thread, it really made me rethink some travel plans I was contemplating with my old Jeep. Might be a lot smarter to just suck it up and rent a newer vehicle if I want to do some solitary adventuring when the weather warms up again.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And I honestly pictured y'all as millionaires and so would have no need to do these type of vehicle transfers.

Some millionaires are pretty frugal.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Some millionaires are pretty frugal.
Should not be when safety is concerned.

I can see the Joads from Grapes of Wrath doing this - but you - nope.

If he made you do this - yea time to cut the cord.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:

YOUNG - yes that is something you might do if you are YOUNG

But these guys are in their upper 60s or so.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Isn't there usually a statewide service available - a local number you can call for roadside assistance? Or could you just call 911 and have a dispatcher send someone or an officer sent to keep you safe until someone arrives? I was thinking of dropping my AAA, too, but don't have even a horrible husband (or a horrible ex-husband; whatever, I lose track) to call!
Here in Texas, our drivers license includes a number you can call for these situations.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:19 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
Sometimes AAA will reimburse the cost of a tow if you had to call somebody else.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Fluffy's husband should apologize to her for him asking her to drive his ancient jetta across the desert landscape all the way to SF - esp in these difficult times. What was he thinking? He should have just flown out and driven that thing back himself.

Oops... my daily driver is "Pre-Jetta"

It has been around awhile (1976), but is not ancient (yet)

It's fine for Desert driving (at night). No AC in any of my cars (or house).

I think my spouse complained about that ONCE (~40 yrs ago).

More often, it is "When can we stop for a bathroom break?" .... Maybe tomorrow about this time (1200+ miles / fill-up)

We all go though challenges and trials, it sharpens us up, and also knocks the chips off our shoulders.

I have come to expect this drama from some posters, that's fine... just makes the rest of us more grateful for what we have, and even for what we don't have! (Someone to constantly toss under the bus) Reminds me of a few bosses I have had. + my inlaws. (Fight / argue all the time, for fun I guess... 60+ yrs of it).

Very glad for what I have! in the form of a non-contentious home relationship, or desire to degrade each other. And... a very dependable 46 yo car.

Wishing ...Safe travels and smooth solutions to all !

Old 01-08-2022, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Should not be when safety is concerned.

I can see the Joads from Grapes of Wrath doing this - but you - nope.

If he made you do this - yea time to cut the cord.
Honestly, I think asking for the car was an excuse to see me again and worm himself back into my life. I'm starting to think I will never be able to live my life the way I want and need. He thinks he owns me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.