Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 07:34 PM

3,093 posts, read 2,218,264 times

Advertisements

I must admit that the thread is a bit incoherent. So, you are not on welfare (as you feel free to denigrate that class) but took benefit of Medicaid expansion, per the laws. Now, the same laws require that the said aid can be recovered from your estate upon your death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McToons View Post
…Welfare, immigrants illegals all pay nothing…
So, I don’t understand the problem. It seems totally reasonable to me. Why do you think that you consume take public money and pass on your own money to your children? If there were a spouse that were getting shorted in the process, I might have a different take on it but otherwise it seems completely sensible.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:55 PM

100 posts, read 29,133 times
My daughter is 25

Old 01-30-2022, 08:01 PM

22 posts, read 6,080 times
Quote:
The estate planning has to be done before you collect Medicaid. Like most people I had no idea that I owed any money, When I first found out I already owed 32K
There are some precautions you can take NOW, Are your kids who will likely be inheriting this house? Is your daughter poor? If so, she has some protections, hopefully. This doesn't look good

You NEED to get that balance down. Contact the hospital and ask if they have a charity fund.l You are poor and owe a lot of money. Too bad you signed up for Medicaid, I'd have stiffed the hospital if it were me.; However I've heard they force you to sign up so who knows

Last edited by BalloonLady.; 01-30-2022 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-30-2022, 08:05 PM

8,372 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I must admit that the thread is a bit incoherent. So, you are not on welfare (as you feel free to denigrate that class) but took benefit of Medicaid expansion, per the laws. Now, the same laws require that the said aid can be recovered from your estate upon your death.

So, I don’t understand the problem. It seems totally reasonable to me. Why do you think that you consume take public money and pass on your own money to your children? If there were a spouse that were getting shorted in the process, I might have a different take on it but otherwise it seems completely sensible.

The problem is that if you make less than 138% of federal poverty level in states with expanded Medicaid, you have to either take Medicaid or pay the full premium, as though you were earning over 400% federal poverty level. Pro-rated, partly subsidized ACA premiums apply only to people who make between 135% and 400% fpl. So, if you are a single person making $38,600 per year (which is 300% fpl), then you pay a reduced ACA premium and are fully insured, but if you are the same person making $17,600 per year, you have a choice of going on Medicaid (with subsequent garnishing of your assets if you leave them after you die, ie, you are basically not insured at all), or you pay the full premium

The problem here is not only not being allowed a reduced premium, but your estate being billed for all hospital services you received while on Medicaid after the age of 55. The fair approach would be to expand ACA down to $0 income, and have everyone pay something for health insurance - basically, have no Medicaid, but have everyone pay some minimum premium which then would entitle everyone to a real health insurance. The least they could do would be to freeze ACA premiums at the income of 138% fpl, and ask everyone who makes less than 138% fpl to pay the same premium as though they made 139% fpl.

At the very least, something as important as this recovery policy should have been clearly disclosed to OP when he applied for Medicaid. He should have known that he essentialy did not have a medical insurance coverage, that he would be eventually billed for all medical services, plus for monthly administrative cost of Medicaid (for which he would be billed even if he never saw a doctor while "covered" by Medicaid). The lack of reasonably clear disclosure is particularly underhanded and shocking.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post

He didn't take anything. They. just sign you up, it's forced I believe. It's the default health insurance they force upon you

Last edited by BalloonLady.; 01-30-2022 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-30-2022, 08:09 PM

3,093 posts, read 2,218,264 times
Thank you for clarifying to both of you. I appreciate the issue better and agree that this is unfair. I don't see the age discrimination angle but just a poorly design scheme at the expense of people such as the OP.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:24 PM

If all you have is your home, often the heirs are poor too. Their only means to survive is to inherit a house.

Pretty sick if you ask me. You gotta really demand NOT to use Medicaid, let the bill go overdue. Ask the hospital if their charity fund will cover it. They may still be willing to do that.

Here's how it reads-

https://www.state.nj.us/humanservice...hould_Know.pdf

Last edited by BalloonLady.; 01-30-2022 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-30-2022, 08:27 PM

8,372 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonLady. View Post
He didn't take anything. They. just sign you up, it's forced. It's the default health insurance.

I don't think anyone can force you to take Medicaid, though. If you don't apply for premium assistance (or if you refuse Medicaid), you can either pay the full premium, or remain uninsured.

But the OP did not know what he was applying for. If Medicaid is designed as a program for people without assets, then people with assets should not be able to get health insurance through Medicaid to start with, but should be reclassified into ACA. It is horrific to enroll people into Medicaid health insurance with the ultimate goal of taking their kids' inheritance!

Old 01-30-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I don't think anyone can force you to take Medicaid, though. If you don't apply for premium assistance (or if you refuse Medicaid), you can either pay the full premium, or remain uninsured.

But the OP did not know what he was applying for. If Medicaid is designed as a program for people without assets, then people with assets should not be able to get health insurance through Medicaid to start with, but should be reclassified into ACA. It is horrific to enrol people into Medicaid with the ultimate goal of taking their kids' inheritance!
That makes sense

Old 01-30-2022, 08:45 PM

9,118 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Quote:
My daughter is 25
I wish her success in her chosen profession as she makes her way through life. As we all have to do. Most of us with no inheritances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement