Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2022, 11:24 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know. The point is that if you are transferred automatically from ACA to medicaid you don't fill out any forms, don't read any paperwork. You're just on medicaid and sent a new insurance card in the mail after the fact.
I'm trying to read up on it now, but so far it seems to be about ACA only going by income, and then Medicaid trying to recoup based on assets the person had that weren't calculated in the determination. For instance if you qualified based on income, but die with a home worth $500,000 or an investment account with money.

In long term Medicaid, a spouse can qualify but the other spouse can stay in the home. But when that spouse who stayed in the home dies, they will want the proceeds from that home. Which makes sense, since they paid hundreds of thousands for that persons nursing home or ALF.

I can't find anything about being "transferred" so I don't understand why they would do that unless your income went down? It does sound like

My brother will die with nothing, and they can't go after heirs.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:34 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm trying to read up on it now, but so far it seems to be about ACA only going by income, and then Medicaid trying to recoup based on assets the person had that weren't calculated in the determination. For instance if you qualified based on income, but die with a home worth $500,000 or an investment account with money.

In long term Medicaid, a spouse can qualify but the other spouse can stay in the home. But when that spouse who stayed in the home dies, they will want the proceeds from that home. Which makes sense, since they paid hundreds of thousands for that persons nursing home or ALF.

I can't find anything about being "transferred" so I don't understand why they would do that unless your income went down? It does sound like

My brother will die with nothing, and they can't go after heirs.
In my state, not NJ, they will only try to recover if you end up in long term care like in a nursing home with dementia for example. Regular medical care, emergency care, hospitalization, is left alone and not recoverable. If the person dies and had a spouse or a minor child, then even long term care is not recoverable. Every state will be different.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:40 AM

100 posts, read 29,136 times
My income did drop, I had 2 massive heart attacks & wound up with other health problems, I was not allowed to even drive fir a year after them. They will take everything including life insurance

Old 01-31-2022, 11:41 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McToons View Post
My income did drop, I had 2 massive heart attacks & wound up with other health problems, I was not allowed to even drive fir a year after them. They will take everything including life insurance
Well, try to stay calm. Having a third heart attack over this isn't going to help you.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:45 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
In my state, not NJ, they will only try to recover if you end up in long term care like in a nursing home with dementia for example. Regular medical care, emergency care, hospitalization, is left alone and not recoverable. If the person dies and had a spouse or a minor child, then even long term care is not recoverable. Every state will be different.
In Mass if you (estate) don't pay up within something like 6 months from when they ask they add a penalty that keeps increasing.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:47 AM

Medicaid Recovery was set up for long term care, not Medicaid expansion. Some states like NJ are using it as a loophole to grab money, Most other states saw that this was clearly age discrimination & chose not to take advantage of the elderly.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:52 AM

Elderlaw attorney Jeffrey Marshall writes in: Medicaid Estate Recovery - A Medicaid Death Tax
In a curious exercise of age discrimination, the recovery program only applies to people who are over age 55. Essentially, estate recovery turns government financial help to frail seniors of modest means into a loan program with collection taking place at death. If Medicaid helped pay for any of your care, your estate will be forced to repay the government after you die. Estate recovery is a Medicaid “death tax” imposed only on the elderly. The program has been referred to as “picking the bones of the poor,” and “sucking the last ounce of blood from the corpse.”

Old 01-31-2022, 11:53 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
I don't know. The point is that if you are transferred automatically from ACA to medicaid you don't fill out any forms, don't read any paperwork. You're just on medicaid and sent a new insurance card in the mail after the fact.

This ACA guide talks about the Medicaid option, and they even have a sample case right there - a man that goes on Medicaid, then starts earning more and is no longer eligible. Nowhere does this guide say anything about recovery though. I think that omission is very misleading.

https://marketplace.cms.gov/technica...m-medicaid.pdf

Old 01-31-2022, 11:56 AM

Very misleading indeed! When I 1st found out about this I went to my Local legislators offices. No one knew what I was talking about until they researched it deeply.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:02 PM

Medicaid Recovery explained https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...an-You-Thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.