Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 12:27 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Hell, even many Boomers are still having to take care of their elderly Silent parents.

Like I mentioned before, my dad's mom has fairly severe dementia. She's 87. She fell a few weeks ago, was taken to the hospital, and then discharged to a "rehab" facility. She can stay there until next Friday, at which time she's going to either have to go home or to (preferably) a memory care facility.

Realistically, there's no way she can go home - my grandfather can barely take care of himself, and he's completely unwilling to pay for any sort of home health assistance.

My 65 year old dad, who should be retired, is working nearly full-time, trying to keep up his own property, and spending three or four hours a day in the rehab facility with the grandmother. She's tried wandering off a few times, and that place can and will kick out a patient, so someone has to be basically there to police her.

Aside from the dementia, she's relatively healthy. The other grandmother, 86, is also relatively healthy for that age. My parents could be at least 70 before they are done with the "caregiving" phase. My mother is not in good health, and I don't have much confidence she'll make it much beyond 70.
I'm an older Gen Xer with a teenager still in college, our other kid newly launched and my husband (slightly older Boomer) and I both have parents in their late 80's. Oh, and we still work.

We're looking at downsizing and moving into an active adult retirement community ourselves within the next few years, maybe even within 1 1/2 years. So we have lots of balls in the air at the moment...

But we're whippersnappers compared to the 75 year old guy that we know who is currently helping his 90+ year old mother get placed in memory care. Hopefully, the stress won't kill him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 12:50 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Well the Boomers are rapidly aging and unless they want to find themselves sitting alone in a poop covered chair with their 70+ year old spouse trying to figure out a way to lift them up, get them into the tub and cleaned off, there needs to be a better way.

And, no, their Millennial children are not going to be rushing to their rescue. You can about count on that.
I am not disagreeing with you on that. The need is not hard to see. It is the solve for the need that less obvious. It is not achieved by posts here but political and societal will to address it in a meaningful way. I, for one, don't see it.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:53 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I am not disagreeing with you on that. The need is not hard to see. It is the solve for the need that less obvious. It is not achieved by posts here but political and societal will to address it in a meaningful way. I, for one, don't see it.
I think the solution is not going to come from politicians who only seem to know how to tax and spend us all into oblivion.

This is going to have to be thought out at the societal level - meaning, yeah, we all better start thinking about how this is going to be handled.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:08 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
I am kinda amused and shocked that some here thing everybody had children or family that can or will look after them in old age. Back in the olden days thats the reason people had 15 kids, first as cheap farm labor and second hopefully at least one of them wealthy and kind enough to look after them in old age.

And yea the system isnt very practical. Home health care is a lot more kind to tax payers than sticking everybody into the urine drenched warehouses with the rapists and abusers and very desperate that will take these kind of jobs. Seriously do you want to wipe bottoms for a career? Then why do you think anybody else does, especially for minimum wage so the investors can make a good return??? Some things shouldnt be FOR PROFIT, and this includes most of health care. Unpleasant but necessary jobs should have significant financial reward for those willing to do them. People that wipe bottoms to put food on the table should be some of highest paid people out there. Cause it aint sunshine and lollipops kind of job.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:12 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think the solution is not going to come from politicians who only seem to know how to tax and spend us all into oblivion.

This is going to have to be thought out at the societal level - meaning, yeah, we all better start thinking about how this is going to be handled.
Excellent post. Getting people to think on the societal level in the first place is going to be the hurdle.

Being in a place where they DO, especially as regards home health care for the disabled, has been an eye-opener, but taxes pay for it, and that is not what many Americans want to hear. It's "why should I pay for others to get care?" rather than "we need to ensure that the elderly members of our society are cared for." It is a different mindset.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-05-2022 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-05-2022, 01:14 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I am kinda amused and shocked that some here thing everybody had children or family that can or will look after them in old age. Back in the olden days thats the reason people had 15 kids, first as cheap farm labor and second hopefully at least one of them wealthy and kind enough to look after them in old age.

And yea the system isnt very practical. Home health care is a lot more kind to tax payers than sticking everybody into the urine drenched warehouses with the rapists and abusers and very desperate that will take these kind of jobs. Seriously do you want to wipe bottoms for a career? Then why do you think anybody else does, especially for minimum wage so the investors can make a good return??? Some things shouldnt be FOR PROFIT, and this includes most of health care. Unpleasant but necessary jobs should have significant financial reward for those willing to do them. People that wipe bottoms to put food on the table should be some of highest paid people out there. Cause it aint sunshine and lollipops kind of job.
You're not the first in this thread to express that view.

Solution?

Old 10-05-2022, 01:25 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
So... given all these issues, will assisted suicide for elders become more prevalent?

Old 10-05-2022, 01:29 PM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Excellent post. Getting people to think on the societal level in the first place is going to be the hurdle.

Being in a place where they DO, especially as regards home health care for the disabled, has been an eye-opener, but taxes pay for it, and that is not what many Americans want to hear. It's "why should I pay for others to get care?" rather than "we need to ensure that the elderly members of our society are cared for." It is a different mindset.
Ensure
Yes, I agree. It is the same with veterans and the firemen who developed lung disease from the 9/11 rescue efforts. They had to fight to get medical care when what they do is often heroic, somebody ought to do it, but we dont want to pay the taxes that will provide them the care. Only their service.
Same with elders who have contributed and now need care they cannot do themselves.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-05-2022 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Typo!

Old 10-05-2022, 01:30 PM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're not the first in this thread to express that view.

Solution?
Pay them what they deserve, treat them with respect, and everyone pay your fair share of taxes.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:31 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
So... given all these issues, will assisted suicide for elders become more prevalent?
Not in my state as the dominant religion does not look kindly to assisted suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement