Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 11:29 AM

11,133 posts, read 6,723,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
You can even pay much less. A $150 unlocked smartphone on Amazon will last at least 3 years, so $50/year or less for the device. My prepaid cell phone plan is $60/year.
We paid $150 each for our unlocked smartphones in 2016 and still have them. Cell service is $8.00 a month on the senior plan. Nice to know that low-cost is still around.

As far being a burden to others, we are acutely aware of that, so are planning a visit to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to fix some glitches on DH's "new-used" $150 Motorola. It screams at us randomly as it slips in and out of cell service and no way to stop that notification. (many have tried)

I am stunned that at this costly beachfront vacation rental there is almost no cell service. How do people put with that! Yes, we got the recommended provider while here.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:35 AM

11,133 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My own observations is that many now are out and pushing their baby stroller, walking with their little kids (especially to school) or walking their dog, and constantly looking/interacting with their phone. I suspect it has something to do with a subtle rewiring of the brain, but it certainly takes them out of the present, and they miss out on interaction at the moment. We'd interact with our babies and/or kids when out with them, even if meaningless conversation. I have a special needs adult daughter who I interact with a lot when we are out, and am never distracted by a cellphone.

I know to some this comes off as judgmental, but I just want to point out some of the potential downsides I see to heavy engagement with technology.
I know it's individual preference, but we enjoy being 100% engaged with our surroundings when out and about. Partly for security, partly to get the most out of our walking experience. Never have earbuds on outside.

We only use the phone outside to call Uber, or sometimes to check a map about where we are.

Clearly, we in the minority, lol.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:40 AM

22,707 posts, read 47,922,292 times
More like it is the people who see a knife as a useful kitchen tool vs those who see the knife as a dangerous object to be avoided.

Old 10-20-2023, 12:41 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,236,337 times
Quote:
I know those addicts.

One is addicted to his mother. He configured her phone to remind her when it was time to take her pills and can't seem to cure that addition.

Another is addicted to his family. He uses the GPS tracking feature that pinpoints his exact location when he goes for a hike in the wilderness and can't seem to cure that addiction.

Another is addicted to monitoring his HVAC system so that toxic mold, which makes his family sick, doesn't grow when he is away for two months. He installed a smart thermostat that works through his phone and can't seem to cure that addiction.

Another is addicted to keeping his family safe from crime. He installed a security system that works through his phone and can't seem to cure that addiction.

Another is addicted to his kids. He uses various features on his phone to communicate with them and can't seem to cure that addiction.

Another is addicted to paychecks. He uses his phone for work and can't seem to cure that addiction.

I know a lot of addicts.

Old 10-20-2023, 12:44 PM

48,626 posts, read 35,093,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm outside just about every day, as I said, in the wooded areas or by the ocean, and I see very few people looking at their phones in those places. Maybe it's just here, where people walk a lot at those locations for exercise.

I DO see people wearing earbuds or headphones, though, so listening to books or music and sometimes talking to someone...or at least I assume they are talking to someone else, but ya never know.

Sometimes though I don't want to listen to anything but the sound of the ocean. We make choices.

Oh, another cool use of the smartphone is in the spring and summer listening to bird calls. Then I use an app called SongSleuth to record and isolate the song, and it identifies the bird. Then I look up in the trees to try to spot the bird. That's fun, although I realize not everyone might think so.

More than once, though, another walker has come along and seen me peering up into the trees. They'll stop and start looking up, too, and then we end up in a conversation about birds. Bird people find one another. That is a way that technology and being in nature work harmoniously.

When we go hiking we rarely see anyone with their phones out. Exceptions occur when my dog is being extraordinarily photogenic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-20-2023, 12:44 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,236,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I know it's individual preference, but we enjoy being 100% engaged with our surroundings when out and about. Partly for security, partly to get the most out of our walking experience. Never have earbuds on outside.

We only use the phone outside to call Uber, or sometimes to check a map about where we are.

Clearly, we in the minority, lol.
Even before cell phones for safety reasons I would never wear earphones and listen to music. We hike trails with rattle snakes and I’m astonished when I see fellow hikers wearing earphones.

Old 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM

11,094 posts, read 7,008,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When we go hiking we rarely see anyone with their phones out. Exceptions occur when my dog is being extraordinarily photogenic.
Amen to that!!

Old 10-20-2023, 04:14 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,193,555 times
Quote:
I know those addicts.

One is addicted to paychecks. He uses his phone for work and can't seem to cure that addiction.

Another is addicted to his mother. He configured her phone to remind her when it was time to take her pills and can't seem to cure that addition.

Another is addicted to his family. He uses the GPS tracking feature that pinpoints his exact location when he goes for a hike in the wilderness and can't seem to cure that addiction.

Another is addicted to monitoring his HVAC system so that toxic mold, which makes his family sick, doesn't grow when he is away for two months. He installed a smart thermostat that works through his phone and can't seem to cure that addiction.

Another is addicted to keeping his family safe from crime. He installed a security system that works through his phone and can't seem to cure that addiction.

Another is addicted to his kids. He uses various features on his phone to communicate with them and can't seem to cure that addiction.

I know a lot of addicts.
Yeah, I'm sure I'm all taking care of business and not scrolling Facebook or Insta, playing games, or posting selfies. Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement