Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2023, 10:57 AM

17,388 posts, read 11,377,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I agree, it's rude AF and petty and meaningless.
But some people really enjoy being petty, rude and doing meaningless things at retail establishments, like the person a few months ago that bragged about not allowing an employee at Walmart to briefly scan their receipt even though that employee was just doing their job. Yup, that really showed corporate, didn't it?

Last edited by marino760; 10-19-2023 at 11:34 AM..

Old 10-19-2023, 11:01 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
But some people really enjoy being petty, rude and doing meaningless things at retail establishments, like the person a few months ago that bragged about not allowing an employee at Walmart briefly scan their receipt even though that employee was just doing their job. Yup, that really showed corporate, didn't it?
I have no problem with exit security. Again, that's my angelic nature.

But as said, I go into the place where I MASSIVELY shop and they suddenly tell me that I have to their work for them......who is it really who is being rude?

Old 10-19-2023, 11:03 AM

2,139 posts, read 1,064,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
But some people really enjoy being petty, rude and doing meaningless things at retail establishments, like the person a few months ago that bragged about not allowing an employee at Walmart briefly scan their receipt even though that employee was just doing their job. Yup, that really showed corporate, didn't it?
Yeah punching down on min wage employees is so honorable of a way to protest, LOL.

Petty tyrants need to get a life.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

But as said, I go into the place where I MASSIVELY shop and they suddenly tell me that I have to their work for them......who is it really who is being rude?
You are. You're the rude one in that scenario.

And it's 2023...a $300 supermarket purchase is not MASSIVE.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:09 AM

17,388 posts, read 11,377,141 times
Quote:
You are. You're the rude one in that scenario.

And it's 2023...a $300 supermarket purchase is not MASSIVE.
LOL, $300 at the supermarket now means you bought some seafood and a few steaks

Old 10-19-2023, 11:11 AM

22,688 posts, read 47,899,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

I guess the rude person is the one leaving groceries behind, that not only wastes other peoples' time (sorting and restocking), but might even result in having to throw spoiled perishables away.

I fail to see how the MASSIVE amount makes any difference.

It would be much simpler to see if any cashiers are on duty BEFORE you load up a cart...

Old 10-19-2023, 11:15 AM

19,948 posts, read 9,511,488 times
I think the last couple of pages of posts on this thread regarding self-checkout is a good summary of what I am talking about.

I think that a good compromise would be to have ONE station available for us "dinosaurs" and all the remaining stations for those who have Smartphones. If there are, for example, 12 stations with only one open with a human cashier (or at least a human to provide assistance as needed), then maybe it will encourage people to be more open to getting a Smartphone -- but the option will still be there for those people who don't have Smartphone and don't need one (yet).

And, btw, this hasn't come up yet, but the cost to own and use a Smartphone is about $1,900 a year, according to this:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/5242...d%20%243%2C800.

Why on earth should someone be forced to spend $1,900 a year for a personal item that they don't want?

I have a senior flip phone ($30 a month) and Internet service and a landline phone ($105 a month), and I would still have PC Internet and a landline phone even if I did own a Smartphone. So instead of now spending $1,620 a year, I would be spending a $3,160 a year, if I replaced by senior flip phone with a Smartphone, a difference of $1,540 a year or about $125 more a month, if my math is correct. I am sure paying that much more would not matter to many seniors, but it would matter to me. But, again, the point is that I don't think that anyone should be forced to buy and use a Smartphone.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-19-2023 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-19-2023, 11:16 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
Quote:
.......And it's 2023...a $300 supermarket purchase is not MASSIVE.
It is when it is raw goods, when it is a basket filled canned goods. I am willing to unload it to the conveyor belt....but I do expect someone else to scan, bag, and reload my cart.....and someday, even take it out to my car.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:17 AM

22,688 posts, read 47,899,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think the last couple of pages of posts on this thread regarding self-checkout is a good summary of what I am talking about.

I think that a good compromise would be to have ONE station available for us "dinosaurs" and all the remaining stations for those who have Smartphones.
Ah, but smartphones have nothing to do with self-checkouts, really. You can use your credit or debit card at self-checkouts, same as with a cashier. No phone required.

Sadly, your tech thread was hijacked and skewed to self-checkouts.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

I think that a good compromise would be to have ONE station available for us "dinosaurs" and all the remaining stations for those who have Smartphones. If there are, for example, 12 stations with only one open with a human cashier (or at least a human to provide assistance as needed), then maybe it will encourage people to be more open to getting a Smartphone -- but the option will still be there for those people who don't have Smartphones.

And, btw, this hasn't come up yet, but the cost to own and use a Smartphone is about $1,900 a year, according to this:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/5242...d%20%243%2C800.

Why on earth should someone be forced to spend $1,900 a year for something they don't want?

I have a senior flip phone ($30 a month) and Internet service and a landline phone ($105 a month), and I would still have PC Internet and a landline phone even if I did own a Smartphone. So instead of now spending $1,620 a year, I would be spending a $3,160 a year, if I replaced by senior flip phone with a Smartphone, a difference of $1,540 a year or about $125 more a month, if my math is correct. I am sure paying that much more would not matter to many seniors, but it would matter to me. But, again, the point is that I don't think that anyone should be forced to buy and use a Smartphone.
What does a smartphone have to do with self-checkout?

I really don't understand people who are so flex-y about hating smartphones. It's almost a reverse fetish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement