Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 12:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

I'm 71, and quit flying about 5 years ago. I loved flying, but eventually the long TSA lines, skyrocketing parking costs, and my health issues just made it too much bother. We are sticking to exploring our own state and country, with our 25' travel trailer. Even our last flights, 6 hours to Hawaii didn't seem worth the effort. Glad we went though, and were able to appreciate downtown Lahaina before it burned up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 12:22 PM

1,923 posts, read 903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
until what age have you or do you think you will still have the desire and physical ability to take a leisure flight...requiring a minimum 8+ hour (in some cases double that) flight abroad??

I flew from ATL to LAX and then to HNL, and swore I'd never do it again. I was in my 30s, my ankles swelled up and I couldn't sleep. It was torture.

We are in our late 50s now and don't like to fly over a few hours. We purposefully choose layover flights so that we can take a break.

Should be interesting when we finally decide to go to Italy like we've talked about.

Old 10-19-2023, 12:23 PM

844 posts, read 420,571 times
Dad is 95 and Mom is 92. They still love international travel.

Old 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm 71, and quit flying about 5 years ago. I loved flying, but eventually the long TSA lines, skyrocketing parking costs, and my health issues just made it too much bother. We are sticking to exploring our own state and country, with our 25' travel trailer. Even our last flights, 6 hours to Hawaii didn't seem worth the effort. Glad we went though, and were able to appreciate downtown Lahaina before it burned up.
At 78 long haul flights have become a nightmare. Like you we did a 7 hour flight into Hawaii. The economy class seats nearly killed me. There’s just no way you can get comfortable with your knees jammed up against the back seat of the person in front of you.

And the TSA. The only saving grace was going through the security line they are letting people 75 and older keep their shoes on. They even confiscated my brand new packaged tooth paste because the tube was too large. We were in Lahaina just 8 hours or so before the fire.

Old 10-19-2023, 02:39 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I was always afraid I was going to die young, so I did all my foreign travels before age 60. And as a smoker, it's too much of a hassle today to travel anywhere, even a car trip.

All that's left on my bucket list is Medellin/Cali Colombia, a 6 hour flight I believe. Maybe I might have a senior moment and do it one day.

My big worry is flight delays/flight cancellations, stuck in a non-smoking Airport for hours on end.

Old 10-19-2023, 04:52 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
IMHO it isn't the flights that make me re-think travelling internationally, it's all the unpleasant rigamarole surrounding them.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:19 PM

541 posts, read 394,857 times
I'm younger than you 63, and think I just took my last international red eye flight last month. DH who is 69 already is not interested in traveling that far in a plane (primarily likes to visit the western United States and Canada and that's where we most often go on vacation as we all like that.). For the trip I just took, I took DS 28 on a dream trip of his to Paris, Disneyland Paris, and Belfast (a really fun 11 day trip that we'll remember forever). DS is getting married next year too so perfect time to do this.

I get cramped on long haul flights, so sprung for Premium Economy on this trip and for the flight over they upgraded me and DS to business class with those flat bed seats, which was pretty sweet. The trip back in Premium Economy was pretty comfy too. In the good ole USA coach is fine for me.

I'll be sticking closer to home after this. 2024 is mostly flying people to my home town and putting them up for the wedding (what I'm spending most of my vacation budget on). I'm flying out seven out of town relatives, and putting 11 out of town relatives up at the Best Western near us (three rooms for three nights and three rooms for four nights). In 2025 DH and I will do a week long trip to Glacier National park and will take DS and spouse along (flying out, renting a minivan, staying in basic park lodges including an overnight at the adjoining Canadian park).

I will say that this trip is the best I ever did with a time change too. We just walked all over to places we were excited about till sunset on arrival day and being out in the sun and being excited really helped. I usually don't do that well with time changes. I'm sure being able to do a little snoozing in the flat bed seats didn't hurt either.

I don't really have the travel bug. I like to plan a trip here and there, but travel for me is primarily a backdrop for enjoying time with family and people I love. It was cool to get back to France though. I was an exchange student when I was 16 and lived with a French family there back in 1976 and this is the first time I went back (47 years later).

Last edited by Kathy884; 10-19-2023 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-19-2023, 07:35 PM

7,135 posts, read 4,540,768 times
I am 69 and my European trip this year and last took 27 hours because there were 3 flights with long layovers. I have one booked with a friend for 2025 and that’s probably it for me. My mom traveled to Europe in her early 80’s.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:43 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Who knows

At ages 75/65 do not know.
But, we only fly business class or better. Life is too short for cattle car class.

Old 10-19-2023, 09:56 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
At ages 75/65 do not know.
But, we only fly business class or better. Life is too short for cattle car class.
I am flying business class for the first time to Costa Rica in December. It is "only" six hours, but I am way too tall to fold myself up in a regular seat for that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement