Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 12:15 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do that in NJ and your car will be gone when you come back for it.

That started happening here during the pandemic. Reports of people warming up their cars in their driveways and coming back to the car being gone (sometimes with the kids in it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
I've been in Alaska for 15 years and in this land of remote auto starts I'm still a hop in and go kinda guy. Now that I'm retired my car is always nightly in a heated garage so not necessary for a warm up period.
I used to start up my car after being parked all day at work if outside temps were really low, -20f and down and also left it plugged in all day to a "head bolt". Head bolt= 110v outlet for drivers to plug in to power a block heater, oil pan heater and battery blanket or charger, normal winterization stuff in Fairbanks.

When very cold here, -40f, after a warm idle as you start driving you'll bump along for 1/4 mile or so as your tires start to round back out.
Yes, I understand. I lived in Alaska for 3 years (in the Anchorage area). However, I am observing this idling forever thing in a very temperate climate.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Why do you not ask the person you refer to as idiotic about why he is running his vehicle while it is parked?
I got close with the neighbor across the street. That really seems like a safety hazard to me besides the fumes in my immediate vicinity.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I got close with the neighbor across the street. That really seems like a safety hazard to me besides the fumes in my immediate vicinity.
What do you consider a safety hazard. Where ae you in relation to fumes in a traffic jam or at a red light?

Old 12-12-2023, 01:37 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
In Las Vegas, it isn't about warming the engine; it is about cooling the car down.

I do find it a bit wasteful to watch the moms line up at the elementary school in their SUVs starting perhaps 45 minutes before school lets out, idling the entire time with the A/C on high.

Old 12-12-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What do you consider a safety hazard. Where ae you in relation to fumes in a traffic jam or at a red light?
Across the street they have a 4-year-old. Any kid in the neighborhood jumping in that and monkeying around and that vehicle back directly into my house (for instance). They leave it running sometimes they are in it (for a long time) and sometimes they go into the house leaving it running. Sometimes I see it running with that 4-ish year-old kid in it. I had to catch that kid having got loose from the house on two occasions when it was barely able to walk. I told myself one more strike and I am calling child protective services. It's the woman, not the man. He's not aware of half of her shxt. I try to stay out of it.

But, that does not explain why so many people at Chipotle and Starbucks need to keep their vehicles idling for 20 minutes or more. I think it is more of a brain dead thing overall.

Old 12-12-2023, 02:36 PM

774 posts, read 1,048,337 times
I'll add my pet peeve about people who park in handicapped space without a placard or license plate. The worst one I've seen was a few weeks ago at Costco. Some idiot parked across two handicapped spaces. And I'm not talking just over the line. The were practically parallel across the the two spaces.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:41 PM

814 posts, read 580,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
If they are paying for their gas....it is no bodys business but their own.

Well, not really. The fumes are spewing out into the air and making it dirty and unpleasant. The noise from a diesel truck can be annoying.

Jus' sayin'.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
In Las Vegas, it isn't about warming the engine; it is about cooling the car down.

I do find it a bit wasteful to watch the moms line up at the elementary school in their SUVs starting perhaps 45 minutes before school lets out, idling the entire time with the A/C on high.
Make the little wusses walk to school the way we had to. (She said in true Geezerdom mode!)

Old 12-12-2023, 05:46 PM

814 posts, read 580,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

In the northeast, most school districts provide buses. When we moved to SoCal, you had to live a certain distance away to have that. So for two years I drove three kids to three different schools, running the engine if there was no place to park. If I could park in a designated area, the kids knew to go there for pickup. Drop-off was a different story and I'd have to wait in the line.

More pollution, more cars on the road, more traffic, but... budget cuts. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement