Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2024, 07:13 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
A medical facility for Colonoscopy and Endoscopy.

Doctors and the facility for the procedures say Uber is not permitted yet none of the facilities or doctors office has anything to help with transportation both ways. Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I could have sworn they use to provide or recommend transportation with a company, drivers they know don't have a criminal record. But now even when the patient offers to pay for the transportation, they won't do it.

Now there may be one or two Doctors who have a service but it's in another state which is no help at all.

Taxi's only now go to the airports so that is out too. Which I wouldn't recommend since the last time I took a taxi I swear it was the most filthy car I ever saw and no seat belt.

So what do seniors do in a situation like this?
You've just hit on a subject I'm familiar with. Not necessarily for "scopes" but for ANY transportation needs. Usually, a doctor office will require a family member to pick-up a patient, after the appointment, when the patient has been put under general anesthesia. They spec this, due to liability reasons.

With no family, a person may be an "island." And that's no good. You may have to rely on a trusted friend for your transportation needs. This is a very good reason to have a family, actually. (No, I'm NOT kidding, here.)

So, what to do?

First thing I'd do is develop a relationship with a person that I trust. Then, I'd nurture that.

If there isn't "time" to do this, then check with your local City to see if they have a list of transportation drivers that specialize in senior transportation. Since you don't mention what your location is, it's kinda impossible to recommend a solution to your dilemma. The worst thing is....this dilemma will occur again and again, until you become procative and do something about it. Otherwise, you'll have a poor (and shorter) future unfortunately.

With millennials not interested in learning how to drive, there's going to be a "tidal wave" of need in the future. This is a problem.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:36 AM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't bother. I think we're tested and screened to death these days, and I wouldn't pursue treatment, anyway. If you don't even have anyone to ask to give you a ride to a medical procedure, why would you want to extend your life to the point where you'd really need care?
LOL I bet you're fun at parties.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:39 AM

457 posts, read 219,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
as far as colonoscopy, i have never had one, and i decline it every time the doctor mentions it. he's not happy about it but i've worked in health care long enough to decide that the risks outweigh the benefits.
I had cologuard done. My cousin (a nurse) criticized me telling me that I should have done a colonoscopy instead. I heard a couple of stories where people died after having one done.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:39 AM

536 posts, read 392,050 times
I've been looking at volunteer options in retirement near where I live (St. Louis area) and a big one are volunteers to take people to and from medical appointments (driving and companionship -- hanging out while they are at their appointment). There may be volunteer organization that can hook you up with someone who will do this for you.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:14 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
I had cologuard done. My cousin (a nurse) criticized me telling me that I should have done a colonoscopy instead. I heard a couple of stories where people died after having one done.
They died after a cologuard test? Or after a colonoscopy from a colon perforation?

Old 02-24-2024, 02:18 PM

23,257 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
Don't even start! This topic (that doesn't even belong on this thread) has been beaten to death on C-D before.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:17 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Monday I will make more calls and a friend of mine pays a limo company she trusts the driver and always requests him. I wasn't sure if I should try him or his wife because he I think is Muslim and my Doctor is Jewish. Not that he would see the Doctor I just don't know if all Muslim people are joined with Hamas these days with all that is in the news. On the other hand I don't want to make assumptions either. She has never used her paid driver to go to this Doctor since she has not needed an Endoscopy or Colonoscopy.

I want to look into all of the suggestions here. Thank you everyone so much for so many really good ideas. Some day I won't have family to go to if I live long enough. I don't want to put them out of their way and last time I was going to ask for help, not just car pool, real help with getting to and from a medical procedure they were in the hospital and had enough to deal with of their own issues. Thankfully he is ok and still going strong.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:18 PM

166 posts, read 96,152 times
Coincidentally was just looking into this locally for an upcoming procedure, details not yet known but was getting ahead of need. The OP asked for transportation options and kudos to the many respondents who stuck to the topic, giving many suggestions (without derailing about their OWN medical philosophy or end of life?). This is a pertinent topic. Our county has a great service but is now so in demand requires 2-week reservation and sometimes that's not possible. Also, can search for "non-emergency medical transport (your town)" where perhaps private services are in business. There are many reasons people may need a ride or assistance--it's best not to judge and stay ahead of the need by researching the many ideas given here.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:59 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
Call around and find a provider that will do the procedure without anesthesia. Then you can drive yourself to and from the appointment and don't have to deal with the aftereffects of the anesthesia. A friend recently did this in the Raleigh, NC area. The procedure was a breeze with little or no discomfort.
Oh heck no. I don't want a camera shoved down my throat while awake.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:35 PM

23,257 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I wasn't sure if I should try him or his wife because he I think is Muslim and my Doctor is Jewish. Not that he would see the Doctor I just don't know if all Muslim people are joined with Hamas these days with all that is in the news. On the other hand I don't want to make assumptions either. She has never used her paid driver to go to this Doctor since she has not needed an Endoscopy or Colonoscopy.
If this concerns you so much, you could ask the friend who's more familiar with him whether he expresses strong religious reservations about jobs he's been offered. A professional wouldn't despite the minefield religion has become. If you talk to him yourself, you might learn something by asking him if there are any driving jobs he would decline. Don't mention religion. Leave that up to him. If it's something that does matter to him, he'll probably say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement