Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 02:07 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
At 92 and even 80, I'd be concerned of getting blood clots in my legs while sitting in an airliner for an extensive amount of time and also having some type of medical emergency while in a foreign country.
My mom flew well into her 80’s and the doctor told her to get up and walk every 2 hours. That’s good advice for anyone flying and I still follow that advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 02:10 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
At 92 and even 80, I'd be concerned of getting blood clots in my legs while sitting in an airliner for an extensive amount of time and also having some type of medical emergency while in a foreign country.
No matter what your age, you need to get out of your seat and move around!

Old 03-21-2024, 02:13 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No matter what your age, you need to get out of your seat and move around!
Yes indeed, but I guess I'm just always thinking about the worst happening when I travel.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 1,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think most of us have heard the phrase, "mid-life crisis" -- but do you think there is such a thing as an end-of-life crisis?

If so, I think I am in one of those, and I wonder if anyone else can relate.

Yes, I do think that this might be a form of, or a 'cousin' to, depression, but I think it is more likely to be a matter of simply facing facts -- that people in the last quarter of life are almost certainly not going to look really good again or ever be as physically fit as they were when they were 20 (assuming they were a normal healthy 20-year-old), and that they simply don't experience the joy in life to nearly the degree they used to experience it.

Now, please don't misunderstand -- I have had a good life (better than many people, in fact) -- and I am very grateful for all that is good in my life (which is plenty), but I think I am just feeling a little sad in knowing that the best has already occurred as far as my life is concerned, and I don't have anything really great to look forward to, and my "highs" now consist of things like a new book to read or a beautiful sunset or a good meal -- things that I am grateful for, but not exactly much of an incentive to get out of bed.

NO ADVICE WANTED -- I am only wanting to know whether or not I am alone in having the above feelings.
Everyone's life is unique, and everyone's experiences and feelings are different. Some people may feel very satisfied and happy in their later years because they have gone through a lot, possessing many memories and achievements. However, some might feel extremely frustrated and hopeless because they believe their lives lack meaning or because they face numerous health and life challenges

I think it's important to recognize that the later years are not the end of life but another stage of it. In this phase, people can continue to grow and develop; they can keep pursuing their dreams and goals; they can keep contributing to society and others. It’s also essential to realize that old age may bring certain challenges and difficulties such as health issues, loneliness, financial problems, etc. But these problems are not insurmountable—as long as we have confidence and courage, we can find ways to solve them

The fact that you're aware of this is already quite impressive!

Old 03-21-2024, 02:20 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Yes indeed, but I guess I'm just always thinking about the worst happening when I travel.
Well, that would be falling out of the sky, not DVTs.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:40 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
No, I am not feeling an "end of life" crisis at 69, and will be 70 this summer. I am anxiously waiting for a placement for my adult son with Down syndrome who is 37 years old, so that I can continue on with the life I put on hold. There are so many places I want to go, and things I want to experience that I feel my best bet will be a nomadic life, the one I have wanted since I was 35 and learned about such people. I guess I have always had a plan for when I grew older, if I grew older, so maybe that makes a difference.

Seriously, my life could have ended at any point after birth. I don't know how many years I have left, but I plan to keep on living it. As I look at the obits lately, I see far too many people younger than myself have passed away, and I think what a blessing it is that I have lived this long, and how I need to appreciate each day, as always.

I have always been one to play "The Glad Game":

https://positivepsychology.com/pollyanna-principle/

"Pollyanna played what she called the “Glad Game,” and what we might think of as practicing gratitude today. In every situation, no matter how sad or upsetting, Pollyanna tried to find at least one good thing—a “silver lining” as we often call it today. She’s so good at this game that she ends up getting her whole town to play along, and she makes a significant positive impact on the people of her town (Jones, 2014)."

I have also known many people in their 80s over my entire lifetime, which I think makes me very comfortable about aging.

I have plans, places to go, things to see, want to learn macrame and tatting, bought self-teaching books for learning about science topics..............I'm running until my time runs out.

I am just so darn happy to have lived this long so far, it feels lucky, not depressing!

Old 03-21-2024, 02:44 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Quote:
How do blood clots work? I don't know.

Do they mysteriously appear in otherwise healthy old people due to sitting one time for a few hours? If so, there should be warnings that this is the case because I was not aware of this hazard.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:45 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
How do blood clots work? I don't know.

Do they mysteriously appear in otherwise healthy old people due to sitting one time for a few hours? If so, there should be warnings that this is the case because I was not aware of this hazard.
It’s from sitting to long and young people have died from this too.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:51 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Well, that would be falling out of the sky, not DVTs.
Yes, but I tell myself I probably have about a 1000 times better chance of dying in an automobile than falling out of the sky

Old 03-21-2024, 02:55 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It’s from sitting to long and young people have died from this too.
Why isn't this common knowledge, I wonder.

What is the percentage of people who get this? Is it a hazard for everyone or people with pre-existing conditions?

Guess I'll ask google:

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dvt/travel.html#:~:text=Even%20if%20you%20travel%20a,o ther%20risks%20for%20blood%20clots.

Per the CDC: It's a very small percentage of people who get DVT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement