Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 PM

30,931 posts, read 37,133,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its funny that it wasn't until the boomers started retiring that all the problems happened. Seems like the new generation can't handle their affairs as well. Afterall they are the entitlement generation looking for a new parent in the government.Not all which explains the growing income gap in the present generation;those that can and those that can't. Bommers have been retiring by the millions since they were 50. Then look at the drop outrate now and what has happened to our school's since the late 70's. This generation maybe the First that do worese than their ancestors.They love to blame everyhting on someone else;and love the predisposed excuse for any problem they have.Look at the number of one parent children and ven the huge number of children being raised by their bommer grandparents.
A lot of the problems you describe were caused by the Boomers. The rise in divorce & single parenthood. The rise of 2 parents working full time and haivng "latchkey kids" who were raised by the trashy pop culture on TV (also created by Boomers). Boomers popularized the notion that as long as they were happy, the kids would be, too. What a bunch of BS!!! They didn't give a sh*t about their kids and now act surprised when their adult kids don't know how to be adults. What comes around goes around. And gee, I wonder who popularized the idea that saving for a rainy day was for stupid people and nerds?

And whether conservative or liberal, they seem to love taking things to extremes. Consensus? What's that???? Just shove it down the other guy's throat if he doesn't like it!!!!

That said, those of us coming up behind them will have to clean up a huge mess. Blaming the Boomers for their selfishness will not really fix anything, unfortunately. Unfortunately, some of the Boomers' selfish traits have been passed on to GenX and GenY. It's tough to break bad habits. But at least the younger geneation isn't trying to say bad habits are some kind of moral good like the Boomers did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,553,151 times
Quote:
That said, those of us coming up behind them will have to clean up a huge mess.
And those coming up after your generation whatever it may be will have to clean up your mess.

And so it goes.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
And those coming up after your generation whatever it may be will have to clean up your mess.

And so it goes.
True, and so it was before. The Cro-Magnons probably bitched all the time about having to clean up after the Neanderthals!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:50 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,536,627 times
The oldest official boomer would be 63 now. Whatever changes are happening, it's hardly due to mass retirements of this age group. Wher did the idea come from that people should be able to retire in their 50s?
This generational stuff is silly. It comes purely from marketing firms. The actual baby boom was 1946-1957. Maybe someone will blame all those veterans who came home, pushed their wives into the kitchen barefoot (with abortion illegal and little reliabe birth control) and popped out too many kids for some 11 years.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:26 PM

45,718 posts, read 61,130,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

And so it goes.
From my observation I'm curious how a generation which couldn't/can't clean up their rooms or hang up their clothes will clean up any other kind of mess. Maybe when they're done changing majors and finding "the right fit" for college from their dozens of applications (which their parents paid for) and thinking they deserve a job that offers a month or so vacation available two days after hiring.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The oldest official boomer would be 63 now. Whatever changes are happening, it's hardly due to mass retirements of this age group. Wher did the idea come from that people should be able to retire in their 50s?
This generational stuff is silly. It comes purely from marketing firms. The actual baby boom was 1946-1957. Maybe someone will blame all those veterans who came home, pushed their wives into the kitchen barefoot (with abortion illegal and little reliabe birth control) and popped out too many kids for some 11 years.
Thank you. I have been trying to make this point using a different approach ( fortunately for me, my wife believes sarcasm is an expertise).

I will be 63 next month. Just for the record...the World is not my fault.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,614,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Thank you. I have been trying to make this point using a different approach ( fortunately for me, my wife believes sarcasm is an expertise).

I will be 63 next month. Just for the record...the World is not my fault.
Well, I'm already 63 so it's probably mine!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,614,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A lot of the problems you describe were caused by the Boomers. The rise in divorce & single parenthood. The rise of 2 parents working full time and haivng "latchkey kids" who were raised by the trashy pop culture on TV (also created by Boomers). Boomers popularized the notion that as long as they were happy, the kids would be, too. What a bunch of BS!!! They didn't give a sh*t about their kids and now act surprised when their adult kids don't know how to be adults. What comes around goes around. And gee, I wonder who popularized the idea that saving for a rainy day was for stupid people and nerds?

And whether conservative or liberal, they seem to love taking things to extremes. Consensus? What's that???? Just shove it down the other guy's throat if he doesn't like it!!!!

That said, those of us coming up behind them will have to clean up a huge mess. Blaming the Boomers for their selfishness will not really fix anything, unfortunately. Unfortunately, some of the Boomers' selfish traits have been passed on to GenX and GenY. It's tough to break bad habits. But at least the younger geneation isn't trying to say bad habits are some kind of moral good like the Boomers did.
Your parents really did that bad a job of raising you, did they? Pity!

I'm in the vanguard of the boomers (born in 1946) and managed to raise five successful children on a single income with a stay-at-home-mother. I'm also confortably retired.

Now how did that happen?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 PM

14,337 posts, read 14,695,155 times
I'm 62 and I'm not taking the blame! It happened with hard work, good work ethics, common sense, and probably not wanting or taking the easiest way.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 PM

8,827 posts, read 21,347,492 times
I was just 63 and I certainly do not blame myself for what has happened. And, no one on this forum should blame themselves either. The country was destroyed by corporate greed and an ill-advised and hopeless war. It's heartbreaking and unfair, but not the fault of anyone here, I'm sure.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement