Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,098,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Your parents really did that bad a job of raising you, did they? Pity!

I'm in the vanguard of the boomers (born in 1946) and managed to raise five successful children on a single income with a stay-at-home-mother. I'm also confortably retired.

Now how did that happen?
My parents were pre-boomers. But the fallout of Boomer parenting is obvious for all willing to open their eyes to see. Of course, this is true collectively, not individually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,098,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I was just 63 and I certainly do not blame myself for what has happened. And, no one on this forum should blame themselves either. The country was destroyed by corporate greed and an ill-advised and hopeless war. It's heartbreaking and unfair, but not the fault of anyone here, I'm sure.
That's not quite true, either. We all contribute to the world for good or for ill. We're not completely powerless against the elites. That was one of the more positive aspects of Boomer thinking that I agree with.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:48 PM

2,882 posts, read 5,906,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I was just 63 and I certainly do not blame myself for what has happened. And, no one on this forum should blame themselves either. The country was destroyed by corporate greed and an ill-advised and hopeless war. It's heartbreaking and unfair, but not the fault of anyone here, I'm sure.
I think generation y is going to hold them personally responsible.

It's harsh, but I think highschool teachers are going to be hated for the rest of their lives by gen y. They destroyed their ability to think and rationalize. In 10 years, its all going to hit the fan, if not sooner. Baby boomers are going to want to retire, and those left picking up the tab weren't taught anything!

-Taught all this stuff about, be anything you want. Follow your dreams. Find your passion.

-Taught a rear view mindset. Do what we did. Go to school. Buy a house.

That's all failed them. What they weren't taught is that all the valuable degrees were earned 30-40 years ago!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:54 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,634,197 times
yes we did--- bout 1963 we got off the freeway and never got back on, some of the ideas that the hippies had were good---- like getting rid of money making wars or at least making them short and
treating people fairly---- but the rest was just trash.
probably our greatest evils were teaching self hatred is a good thing, that satan does not exist, and that you should never punish anybody for anything ever.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:17 PM

17,523 posts, read 24,759,442 times
The problems caused by the Baby Boom are not caused by the Boomers but by their sheer numbers. I am a pre boomer and have lived with this all of my life. I get a good idea and by the time I get into here they come to destroy it. Even if only a quarter of them decide to do one thing, it turns out to be way too many.

Take financial advice, if Suze Orman or one of the other Guru's for the Boomers says do X then millions of Boomers do X at once. That makes X a bad idea even if it had been a good idea.
Every aspect of life is the same. The business world is the same they have been able to play this flood at every turn.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM

175 posts, read 469,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The problems caused by the Baby Boom are not caused by the Boomers but by their sheer numbers. I am a pre boomer and have lived with this all of my life. I get a good idea and by the time I get into here they come to destroy it. Even if only a quarter of them decide to do one thing, it turns out to be way too many.

Take financial advice, if Suze Orman or one of the other Guru's for the Boomers says do X then millions of Boomers do X at once. That makes X a bad idea even if it had been a good idea.
Every aspect of life is the same. The business world is the same they have been able to play this flood at every turn.

So true! If Bloomers would just take credit for their mistakes! They hide behind the X & Y generations.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,077,699 times
Persoanllym it seem that as X and Y heneration came into power they amde so many mistakes and their children are even more entitlement orinatated tahn they are.The major crisis noq is from living beyond their means and too oftewn having their parents raise their children. Just look at thwe dropout rate now to see whay they are McDonald materail more and more. That alos is why they have such a income gap;some prepared;alot goofed of.Now they wander why they are here with nothing to sell themselves in the 21st century and no one is buying. They governamnt is actually payig for class inh life skills for this generation which consist of things liike getting to work o time regularly;not calling in sick because you have a sick day etc. Sad

Old 11-20-2009, 07:30 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,137,272 times
The nature of intelligence is the ability to adapt. Be intelligent people and adapt to the world as it changes. Change is happening rapidly and those who adapt prosper and those who don't complain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEnFwiqdx8&feature=fvw

If you have never seen the above, watch it and understand the world you live in and if you want to prosper, than adapt.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,137,272 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHmwZ96_Gos&NR=1

Understand it is not the Boomers it is the world that is shifting below your feet.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:04 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,634,498 times
A lot of the public debt problem falls at the feet of the Republicans for waging a guns and butter fiscal policy over the last 30 years. In order to get the expansion of the Pentagon budget that they wanted, they had to simultaneously get tax cuts and domestic spending up to keep the people fat and happy. None of all this was paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement