Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes--unless they voted for Bush.
But that's unfair, our consumerist society developed long before Bush took office in 2000.

This is the 4th or 5th anti-Boomer thread I've seen on CD, and perhaps the most negative, but that's okay.
I am from Generation Jones, born 1954.
I don't think America is ruined, ultimately it may even be improved--but of course we can find fault with the Boomer generation, just as we ourselves probably shook our fists at the previous generation during the economic downturn during the late 70's.
It will be interesting to see how it all turns out: Where our younger-generation government ends up allocating funds, when and if we ever retire, how the youngsters will juggle their payments for Social Security, i-Phones and laptops and still come out ahead.
Not really unfair at all. Don't forget the state of the budget when Clinton left office - and how long (or short?) it took Bush and his ilk to trash it.

As for Boomers ruining whatever the younger gens want to blame us for - I guess you have to blame someone since nothing is ever your fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Not really unfair at all. Don't forget the state of the budget when Clinton left office - and how long (or short?) it took Bush and his ilk to trash it.

As for Boomers ruining whatever the younger gens want to blame us for - I guess you have to blame someone since nothing is ever your fault.
Sounds like the youngster we have for a president now!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
If you start tracing the economic mess we're in now back to its roots, you'll be going a heck of a lot further back than Bush. (In fact, when Bush was elected, my husband said, "The economy has been going great guns, based on what the past administration has done, it's about due for a crash, and just watch - it'll all be blamed on Bush when he just inherited the setup.")

Now, I HATE politics with a holy passion, think that anyone who is all about politics all the time and must tie EVERYTHING in life to politics and can't discuss anything without making it a political statement really needs to get a life (unless, of course, they're a professional politican), but he nailed it. (And we didn't even like Bush, but fair is fair, even in politics.)

Go back and look at the policies that led to the housing fiasco and see when they first started, then perhaps we can talk.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
This question was posed on Yahoo! Well, what do you think? Did you? Post yes or no examples below. Did baby boomers ruin the chance for their kids to ever retire?

Here's the article on Yahoo!...Did the Baby Boomers ruin America for everyone else? - Yahoo! Answers
Well let's see if I did or not .

I got a good paying job right out of high school, paid my parents RENT until I bought my first home at 20 years of age.

I paid off my mortgage by working two and three jobs.

I saved my money.

I haven't had ANY credit card debt.

I recognized that 46" plasma TVs, fancy oversized houses, $60,000 cars, matching furniture and dishes, and 3 or 4 kids were NOT necessities.

I am retired early with NO debt.

So sorry I ruined America.....but I am so happy and SAFE right now I DON'T CARE

Old 12-03-2009, 02:19 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Now, I HATE politics with a holy passion, think that anyone who is all about politics all the time and must tie EVERYTHING in life to politics and can't discuss anything without making it a political statement really needs to get a life (unless, of course, they're a professional politican), but he nailed it. (And we didn't even like Bush, but fair is fair, even in politics.)
No, you had it right the first time. Politicians need to get a life, or at least be forced to live under the laws and policies that they're forcing us to live under.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well let's see if I did or not .

I got a good paying job right out of high school, paid my parents RENT until I bought my first home at 20 years of age.

I paid off my mortgage by working two and three jobs.

I saved my money.

I haven't had ANY credit card debt.

I recognized that 46" plasma TVs, fancy oversized houses, $60,000 cars, matching furniture and dishes, and 3 or 4 kids were NOT necessities.

Nope...Sorry, all boomers are evil regardless of how they chose to live their lives. Hold your head low in shame, infidel and despair.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:42 PM

175 posts, read 468,391 times
Interesting old post

Old 09-02-2019, 07:34 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Many disgusting posts on this thread.

I would like to remind people that most of us Boomers were only interested in paying our bills and raising our kids well. I truly do dislike those who lump in the remaining 99% of the group because of the actions of 1% of a group -- and, btw, I am talking about ANY group, not just Boomers!!!

Old 09-02-2019, 07:40 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

IMO, a 46" plasma panel would be a hardship.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:43 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
yup. when people asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, I said I wanted to ruin everything for the next generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement