Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 04:52 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,156,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think sometimes young people come into retirement forums looking for Daddy and Mommy figures. Sorta like teenage girls from broken homes needing a Daddy figure. In some cases it is a Daddy figure to look up to and love and in others it is a Daddy figure to focus their life frustrations on and to seek blame transfer.
I think some people can't address actual issues and instead result to pettiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 07:10 AM

31,698 posts, read 41,163,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
What makes you think Gen X & Y will have any more choice than any other generation. What makes you think you can control the government? In the past, most changes to SS has been directed towards the younger generations. Retirement age was 65 and now it's 66 to 70 depending on the year you were born. It's likely any future changes will protect the near to retirement and retired people and reduce benefits of the younger workers.

Retirees and soon to be retired have a strong lobby. Tell me the name of the Gen X & Y lobby. The reason for this? Older people vote. Younger people generally don't.
At some point they will be the older generation and the younger generations will have no idea who they are blaming and will be living their own lives for their betterment. Perhaps it is just a transition period in human progress and some feel caught in the middle while others in their generation have adapted and are prospering. Allow them to be the dust as eventually the wind will carry them down the road like it is doing with us.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:40 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,966,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its funny that it wasn't until the boomers started retiring that all the problems happened. Seems like the new generation can't handle their affairs as well. Afterall they are the entitlement generation looking for a new parent in the government.Not all which explains the growing income gap in the present generation;those that can and those that can't. Bommers have been retiring by the millions since they were 50. Then look at the drop outrate now and what has happened to our school's since the late 70's. This generation maybe the First that do worese than their ancestors.They love to blame everyhting on someone else;and love the predisposed excuse for any problem they have.Look at the number of one parent children and ven the huge number of children being raised by their bommer grandparents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm a Boomer - and I was taught by my depression-era parents to save, save, save. Not buy, buy, buy.

Thank you, Mom and Dad
The new generation wants everything yesterday, that's why this country is in a bad recession. They can't be patient and wait till they have the money to buy like this boomer. And they seem to point the finger at the boomers for everything because they are so selfish, I know, I have children.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:44 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,649,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
You would be correct if you substituted the word "Politicians" for Republicans.
Precious few from either party are innocent. If you honestly believe that the "Republicans were the problem and the current "leaders" are the solution, you are delusional. A review of the healthcare obamination, "cap & trade", class warfare tax proposals, and the Federal deficit suggests this country is headed to hell, which is over-populated with all politicians.
Notice that I said debt, but not deficits. About three-quarters of this year's deficit is carryover from policies of the Bush administration in its last year. The massive accumulation of debt over the last 30 years has been mostly caused by two administrations for the reasons I stated. The first Bush administration was the only Republican administration that tried to rein in the problem by raising taxes and cutting back spending. They're the only administration that wasn't reelected to a second term.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,938,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
The new generation wants everything yesterday, that's why this country is in a bad recession.
I'm speechless.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,561,366 times
I seem to remember a saying from when I was, oh, between 15 and 30: "Don't trust anyone over 30." Most of those who said that (the ones who are still alive, that is) are now in their late 50's to mid-60's. The older generation then was doing everything wrong and were ruining our lives and the world by doing so. All their decisions were wrong, wrong, WRONG! We were the only ones who knew how to do everything right, and they only knew how to do things wrong and any problems we had were all their fault!

It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same. It would be nice to be able to see how things are in 30-40 years and what the children of some of the Gen X-Gen Y generation are saying about them.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 AM

31,698 posts, read 41,163,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I seem to remember a saying from when I was, oh, between 15 and 30: "Don't trust anyone over 30." Most of those who said that (the ones who are still alive, that is) are now in their late 50's to mid-60's. The older generation then was doing everything wrong and were ruining our lives and the world by doing so. All their decisions were wrong, wrong, WRONG! We were the only ones who knew how to do everything right, and they only knew how to do things wrong and any problems we had were all their fault!

It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same. It would be nice to be able to see how things are in 30-40 years and what the children of some of the Gen X-Gen Y generation are saying about them.
Don't trust anyone over 30

Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Notice that I said debt, but not deficits. About three-quarters of this year's deficit is carryover from policies of the Bush administration in its last year. The massive accumulation of debt over the last 30 years has been mostly caused by two administrations for the reasons I stated. The first Bush administration was the only Republican administration that tried to rein in the problem by raising taxes and cutting back spending. They're the only administration that wasn't reelected to a second term.
I think you just corroborated my point. The Bush "administration" that did the damage you point out was comprised of a Republican executive branch and a Democrat legislative branch. To wit, "politicians" are the culprit.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:25 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,276,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Don't trust anyone over 30
On the contrary, don't trust anyone under 30.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:34 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,156,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
The new generation wants everything yesterday, that's why this country is in a bad recession. They can't be patient and wait till they have the money to buy like this boomer. And they seem to point the finger at the boomers for everything because they are so selfish, I know, I have children.
Although you may personally save money, the boomers in general are not savers. The personal (and national) savings rate started to decline in the late 1970's until it was around zero in the mid 2000's. Generation X did not start to have a noticeable effect on the economy until around 1990, but by then the personal and national savings rate were already rather low.

Anyhow, generation X are not savers either, they picked up their parents bad habits. The boomers also utilized debt way more than their parents, but generation X used it even more especially during this decade.

Regardless, if generation X is truly selfish than you better watch out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement