Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:11 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,272,749 times

Advertisements

Another possibility I don't think has been mentioned yet is the Hampton Inn on Weybosset It's only a few years old and I've heard good things about it. For funsies, I just plugged in a March weekend date on Expedia and it came up with a $160 rate for the Hampton. I was surprised that the Omni and Renaissance had cheaper rates - maybe that was a fluke!

Without a car, you definitely want to be staying in downtown Providence and not at any of the airport hotels that may call themselves Providence hotels.

Also, there are two Marriotts in Providence - the Courtyard Marriott on Exchange Terrace and the "Providence Marriott downtown" on Orms Street. The latter is actually less downtown than the first, and in a less walkable area. Choose the Courtyard Marriott over it. I would avoid Wyndham Gardens as being less centrally located and more rundown from what I hear. And it's right next to a highway. However, if you were planning on spending a lot of time at Brown University, it's an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:49 AM

171 posts, read 310,262 times
Thinking outside the box, this could be an option.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM

9,369 posts, read 15,030,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Is it just me, or does the thought of sleeping in someone's house and having to eat and socialize with them turn any one else off?
Some people enjoy b&bs and look forward to the idea of having someone to ask about things to see and do in the area, etc. obviously you prefer anonymity. I suggested Old Court since it is so well located for a tourist without a car.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:01 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,009,441 times
I love B and Bs. The Rabbit Hill Inn in Vermont is legendary.

But, I am beginning to see why this cat left New England haha

Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,822,141 times
What on earth does a preference of hotels rather than bed and breakfasts have to do with leaving New England? It was just a question that popped into my head as I was reading. Geez, quit your baiting, would ya? If you're only "beginning" to see why I left New England, work on your reading comprehension, as I've stated my reasons a few times. But, again, I don't like cold and snow. I like New England. I like Rhode Island. If it didn't snow there, I would be living there.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:28 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,832,115 times
Quote:
Is it just me, or does the thought of sleeping in someone's house and having to eat and socialize with them turn any one else off?
LOL. It can be a crap shoot on the experience. My one and only B&B was enjoyable for the most part (went to Mystic, CT). The first night was only my boyfriend and I and one other couple who we got to talking with a bit. The second night, 3 more couples checked in, the last being when we had already retired for the night. About an hour later, we were woken up by, um....er...*noises* that were extremely loud. The next morning at breakfast, everyone just sat there, too shocked to be the first to start a conversation , while the happy couple chatted away. Turns out they were newlyweds (no kidding!)

I do, however, keep in touch with one of the guys from the first couple we met. He is no longer with his partner and I am no longer with my boyfriend but I got a good friend out of it, lol.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 AM

156 posts, read 440,189 times
Been doing the B&B thing for many years and have almost nothing but very positive experiences. I like meeting the other people staying there at breakfast and hearing a little bit about them. Often the owners are interesting as well and can tell you a lot about the area.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
What on earth does a preference of hotels rather than bed and breakfasts have to do with leaving New England? It was just a question that popped into my head as I was reading. Geez, quit your baiting, would ya? If you're only "beginning" to see why I left New England, work on your reading comprehension, as I've stated my reasons a few times. But, again, I don't like cold and snow. I like New England. I like Rhode Island. If it didn't snow there, I would be living there.
Uh oh, no smiley face at the end of that one! haha

Old 02-13-2014, 10:14 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,822,141 times
Yes, your juvenile plan to annoy me worked. Kudos, kid.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island