Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 08:01 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't need you to instruct me how, when, and what to post. Mind your own business.
The nastiness you post about low income minority neighborhoods is any decent persons business. Why are the demographics of the mayor’s neighborhood of interest to anyone - except bigots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 08:18 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Come on MP, you are the one who is cherry picking here. You know that Oak Hill is overwhelmingly white, especially the further away you get from Pawtucket Ave.
Thank you for taking the time to post from diverse Maine to tell me how overwhelmingly white my neighborhood is and that my diverse neighbors with whom I interact every day are figments of my imagination.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
The street views he chose are in fact predominantly white areas.

And I'm curious as to why you mentioned our gay State Senator while pointing out racial minorities in the area. Do you think that because he's gay he's a racial minority??? Or were you simply name dropping to try to impress us?
She, and diversity isn’t just ethnicities. I’m not trying to impress anyone, but I think it’s cool and emblematic of our diversity in R.I. that I have a lesbian State Senator, a Cape Verdean State Rep, and a gay Jewish U.S. Rep.

As far as massnative/Maineresident’s Street views, I gave the actual facts about the actual block he posted, but we all know how far facts go here.

Quote:
Your "creepily close to my house" comment is also pretty odd. Does he know where you live?
I certainly hope not.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:56 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The nastiness you post about low income minority neighborhoods is any decent persons business.
You are the very last person who should be talking about decency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Why are the demographics of the mayor’s neighborhood of interest to anyone - except bigots?
As per usual, when you don't have a valid point, you call people racists or bigots. Pathetic.

And, FYI, I was responding to mp's post where he stated that the mayor is middle class. I simply pointed out that he doesn't live in a middle class neighborhood.

Last edited by redplum33; 05-10-2020 at 09:11 PM..

Old 05-10-2020, 09:06 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
She,
Who are we talking about?

Quote:
diversity isn’t just ethnicities.
Very true. But he did specifically say racial minorities.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:25 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Eh, because I don't have to live there to know certain things. Your single story about being friends with "a" Dominican manager of yours does not really prove anything. As for MY experience at my old job where we had a Boston location and then one right outside of Providence...In Boston, I had people in my network from EVERY race and background. In Providence, pretty much all white and middle class by birth. Almost none actually lived in the city. I think a lot of it has to do with a much more competitive job market in Providence (but also a bit what Bert was talking about), but the differences between the two were pretty staggering (and Boston isn't exactly known for racial harmony either). I still have friends from both locations btw. That kind of echos all my other experience with Providence as well.
As you say, that's your single story and not representative of anything but your experience. My work experience includes people from all backgrounds; obviously they don't all live in Providence. Does your job tend to attract more white, middle class people? RI is much more white than many states.

My Providence neigborhood IS diverse - 40% white, 17% African American, 15% Asian or Pacific Islander, 23% Hispanic. 70% own and 30% rent. I have no idea what any of my neighbors make (and don't care) but we look out for each other. My neighbor called me at work to let me know when she called the police on a strange woman who entered my backyard. (She turned out to be harmless) and another neighbor saved me with a care package of gloves, sanitizer, mask, wipes, bleach when I was having trouble locating those things.

Just saying, your idea where everyone is either a hipster/yuppie or a gang banger/drug dealer just isn't real life, and people are better than you give them credit for.

I often suspect that you have a job that brings you into contact with the most troubled members of society, and that it's unfortunately colored your perceptions of humanity.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:00 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
As per usual, when you don't have a valid point, you call people racists or bigots.
Count on me to point out the obvious when it continually raises its ugly head. The silly pretense of "warning" newcomers away from "bad"(poor/minority) urban neighborhoods, may have given you comfort, but was never believable. Too mean spirited.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Let me get this right. Someone who worked at a job for a company with an office OUTSIDE of Providence that employed people that had employees that "almost none" lived in Providence magically gained insights from that leads to knowledge of what living IN Providence is like here and now.

Let that brilliance sink in. Unbelievable.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:01 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to post from diverse Maine to tell me how overwhelmingly white my neighborhood is and that my diverse neighbors with whom I interact every day are figments of my imagination.
Quote:
As far as massnative/Maineresident’s Street views, I gave the actual facts about the actual block he posted, but we all know how far facts go here.

I certainly hope not.
OK so there's one Cape Verdean family on that street, that is the "fact" you posted.

And nobody said Maine was diverse (this is the RI forum still right???). But have you been to Portland lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
As you say, that's your single story and not representative of anything but your experience. My work experience includes people from all backgrounds; obviously they don't all live in Providence. Does your job tend to attract more white, middle class people? RI is much more white than many states.
My point was that in Boston it did in fact attract a wide scope of people, in Providence not at all. Whether that's due to local culture or other barriers is beside the point.
Quote:
My Providence neigborhood IS diverse - 40% white, 17% African American, 15% Asian or Pacific Islander, 23% Hispanic. 70% own and 30% rent. I have no idea what any of my neighbors make (and don't care) but we look out for each other. My neighbor called me at work to let me know when she called the police on a strange woman who entered my backyard. (She turned out to be harmless) and another neighbor saved me with a care package of gloves, sanitizer, mask, wipes, bleach when I was having trouble locating those things.
Reservoir is kind of weird to me. Very small, and almost feels more like Eastern Cranston.
Quote:
Just saying, your idea where everyone is either a hipster/yuppie or a gang banger/drug dealer just isn't real life, and people are better than you give them credit for.
Huh??? Most people who live in the ghetto aren't gang bangers or drug dealers. Far from it. My point still stands though, and you are veering way off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Let me get this right. Someone who worked at a job for a company with an office OUTSIDE of Providence that employed people that had employees that "almost none" lived in Providence magically gained insights from that leads to knowledge of what living IN Providence is like here and now.

Let that brilliance sink in. Unbelievable.
Context bro. CONTEXT. The place was RIGHT outside Providence, it was even known as the "Providence" location. That people came from as far as Exeter or Dartmouth, MA, but not the big city that it was right in the shadows of; is pretty telling. It would be like working in Cambridge or Dedham and having less than 5% of the employees living in Boston. Unheard of in that case. I suggest reading through what you respond to, before further damaging an already (I say severely) lacking credibility.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
OK so there's one Cape Verdean family on that street, that is the "fact" you posted.
On that particular block of twelve houses, out of the two families I know on that block.

Quote:
And nobody said Maine was diverse (this is the RI forum still right???). But have you been to Portland lately?
I have, but I don't pretend to know more about it than those who live there.

Quote:
Huh??? Most people who live in the ghetto aren't gang bangers or drug dealers. Far from it.
Maybe this realization can work its way into discussions about Elmwood, Armory, etc. in the future?

Quote:
Context bro. CONTEXT. The place was RIGHT outside Providence, it was even known as the "Providence" location. That people came from as far as Exeter or Dartmouth, MA, but not the big city that it was right in the shadows of; is pretty telling. It would be like working in Cambridge or Dedham and having less than 5% of the employees living in Boston.
Is your insinuation that Providence residents don't work? I work in my company's "Providence" office in Lincoln. I don't know if I count as "not the big city" being from Pawtucket, but we do have people from Providence. When I worked in Providence, we had people from Providence. But amazingly, other people who live in Providence work outside of Providence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island