Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 12:18 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,525,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Some of us are drawn to low Cost-of-Living areas. The low crime and slower pace is nice, nearly everyone has a garden, fishes and hunts.

I commonly see town debates where people 'want' growth, so these small towns can be just like NYC. Whenever I see someone arguing about how to create this growth, I have to ask why do you want growth?

If you want to live in a high cost / high crime city, then move to one.
+1

Growth, Jobs, and Taffic, NIMBY thank you.The Hard Truths of Trying to ‘Save’ the Rural Economy-20181011_110212.jpg
Not to much traffic this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 01:47 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,311,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Huh? The NYT was actually trying to address the issues facing rural America. There was no mention of "not liking it."
The language is hauntingly reminiscent of the way eastern newspapers wrote about the plight of native Americans in the late 19th century. They didn't care that they were being driven from their ancestral homes or that the game they depended on for food was disappearing or that they were forced into a lifestyle that wasn't suited to their society; rather, they saw them as ignorant, uncultured savages and pitied them for it. "If only the poor Indian understood how important it is to work in an office and attend gala balls!"

The only difference is that today it's "Lo, the ignorant, God-forsaken hillbilly of the rural plains! That he could only give up the frivolity of his meaningless existence and enter the fold!"

Makes me want to puke.

Last edited by duster1979; 12-20-2018 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Typed meaningful, meant meaningless.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:16 PM

37,516 posts, read 61,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
... are you not aware of the desire by progressive lawmakers to install broadband in the rural areas?
A couple years ago there was a big movement to bring fiber to rural Maine. They spent a few $Million$ of tax money, but in stringing the fiber, only established ISP' are allowed to tap into it. So nobody has access to this new fiber.

You still need local companies to tap into the fiber and to string dsl phone lines to every house, before rural folks in this state can actually have broadband.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:21 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,510,040 times
By and large, rural Americans are happy where they are, and do not ask for taxpayer subsidized perks such as found in urban areas. As has already been pointed out, rural residents are there by choice.

Whenever you find whining, unhappy rural folks complaining about the lack of amenities, it's a sure thing that they are urban transplants who would like to recreate the city in the country. It doesn't work that way.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:06 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,235,013 times
Interesting how many people on this thread live in successful, prosperous rural areas and deny that there are any issues with rural America. Maybe we're not hearing from folks in the struggling areas because they can't afford a computer or don't have Internet access.

I live in a successful, prosperous city and I would never claim that cities like Baltimore or Newark don't have problems. It's sad how many people think that they've got theirs, so tough luck for everyone else.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Interesting how many people on this thread live in successful, prosperous rural areas and deny that there are any issues with rural America. Maybe we're not hearing from folks in the struggling areas because they can't afford a computer or don't have Internet access.

I live in a successful, prosperous city and I would never claim that cities like Baltimore or Newark don't have problems. It's sad how many people think that they've got theirs, so tough luck for everyone else.
I don't think anybody is denying that there are impoverished rural areas. They're just pointing out that the picture the article is painting doesn't represent all of rural America as the Times suggests.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:29 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,757,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't think anybody is denying that there are impoverished rural areas. They're just pointing out that the picture the article is painting doesn't represent all of rural America as the Times suggests.
Well the problem isn't just poverty, for some places it's just stagnant hollowed out places where a lot of the community has left. Farmers still sell their crops and make the same living but things just aren't as good as they used to be

Old 12-20-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Well the problem isn't just poverty, for some places it's just stagnant hollowed out places where a lot of the community has left. Farmers still sell their crops and make the same living but things just aren't as good as they used to be
……. in some places. It's not a universal truth, and all of rural America isn't sitting around saying "Woe is me!" as the Times would like you to believe.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:46 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,589,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Through my journey, I've come to realize rural life is where it's at, if you can afford it. Sure there are run down shacks for bargain prices, in my neck of the woods, a decent house with a large tract of land will cost you, more so with a mountain/water view.
bgrasser, my step daughter and son in law found a bargain with land when they moved back to W. Ky. He was in the Army based at Ft. Campbell, Ky., about a 30 minute drive to work. The county they live in covers part of 2 lakes, one is 160,000 acres and the smaller one of 580,000, plus a 170,000 acre national recreation area. They bought a 3 br 1 bath upstairs and the basement set up as an apartment with full kitchen, on 14 acres, for $125,000

Old 12-20-2018, 05:39 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,525,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
bgrasser, my step daughter and son in law found a bargain with land when they moved back to W. Ky. He was in the Army based at Ft. Campbell, Ky., about a 30 minute drive to work. The county they live in covers part of 2 lakes, one is 160,000 acres and the smaller one of 580,000, plus a 170,000 acre national recreation area. They bought a 3 br 1 bath upstairs and the basement set up as an apartment with full kitchen, on 14 acres, for $125,000
Sounds like they did well for themselves, glad they're happy.
As I have mentioned, If one can afford the rural lifestyle, it's the way to go, the price tag for that lifestyle is different for everybody,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living