Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 04:21 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times

Advertisements

We know a few neighbors. Two have easements on our 1/2 mile driveway. Fortunately they are both nice families. We are probably the biggest crackpots of the lot. We don't see much of each other except in passing. We let each other know if we go on vacation. It has been handy to have help when trees have fallen across the road. We keep an eye out for strangers. It's handy to know who the neighbors are and how to get a hold of them. If dogs get loose we know where to return them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:34 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
I live in s suburb but grew up in smaller town and value my privacy too. I'd suggest go to the area get togethers if they have any. If not the note idea is ok given your message on it as noted. But I wouldn't do this right off the bat give it six months let them get use to seeing your car or you on occasion then try the note idea.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:28 PM

188 posts, read 548,744 times
I had a neighbor once who sent out invitations to all the neihbors to meet in their driveway for ice cream. most neihbors showed up. We got to meet them and exchange phone numbers and such. It was a good way to go because no one had to bring anything and could come and go as they pleased, no rsvp required. And the host didn’t need to make it formal or prepare much except the ice cream and didn’t have to have people inside their home. It was casual and low stress for everyone.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
Yikes!
I am kinda bewildered.
I kinda dig the idea of having an open party or something like that on our 4th of July bash.
I don’t allow fireworks or gun play here.
Not that I’m anti gun or fireworks guy.
I’m more of the toatal opposite but there is a right place and time for everything but that aint happening here.
We harvest clams from our beach so I don’t want any lead in our clams.
Fireworks, the only safe place to shoot them off is on our beach.
I don’t want that sodium crap debri on our water.
I do how ever make a first class bbq so that might work.
All the best.
Andy

Old 03-13-2019, 02:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
That sounds a lot like my parents' neighborhood on Blue Mountain Road. It varies from retired people (like them) in older homes or even mobiles on 4-5 acres, some with horses to multi-million dollar mansions up near the top, with views of the water and across to Victoria. They and most of their neighbors spend a lot of time outside, puttering around the property. Initially, there was a lot of waving as people passed by coming or going, eventually one would stop to say hello as they passed and one of them was close to the road. Some they met while participating in some of the local events, such as the master gardener programs and volunteering with the county parks. As it turned out over the years the people have all been very friendly, helpful, and always looked out for one another. Even one neighbor that moved to the city (P.A.) stops to see them weekly and to see if there is anything they can do to help out.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 PM

114 posts, read 111,476 times
This begs the next question...how do you draw a boundary with intrusive, nosy neighbor while you want to keep your privacy, without being rude? How would you make it clear to yahoos who don't take subtle hints, without deploying an angry dog?

Old 03-14-2019, 02:00 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
I just bought a place in a very rural area. There's only 1170 people in the whole county, 232 in the nearest town. My closest neighbor is a mile and a half away, and no other neighbors for over 5 miles on the other 3 sides.
VERY rural area

How I meet the neighbors is at the local cafe. Early morning and the local coffee clatch meets for a bull session before they go feed their stock and start their day. They're happy to get new blood, maybe some new jokes.

It doesn't have to.be hard meeting the neighbors. Someone will have seen activity as you move in, they'll be curious about you too. Stand for a round of coffee to break the ice, or just sto by the table and introduce yourself.

I did that this morning and not only met 2 of the biggest ranchers in the area, but several townies too. Got a couple volunteers offering to help me move, and hunting access on a 15000 acre ranch.

Meeting the neighbors can be a good experience.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post
This begs the next question...how do you draw a boundary with intrusive, nosy neighbor while you want to keep your privacy, without being rude? How would you make it clear to yahoos who don't take subtle hints, without deploying an angry dog?
In my state, just ignore the waves, don't talk to people at the local stores, don't go to community events, won't be too long until folks realize you're one of "those people" and ignore you. You'll get your wish and be totally isolated from the community.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:29 PM

114 posts, read 111,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
In my state, just ignore the waves, don't talk to people at the local stores, don't go to community events, won't be too long until folks realize you're one of "those people" and ignore you. You'll get your wish and be totally isolated from the community.
You seem to be confusing "total isolation from the community" with basic privacy / isolation from intrusive, nosy people who lack boundaries and sense of respect for others and their property, village gossipers, etc, though.
Waving is fine... are you in the Deep South?
Some places if you don't go to "their" church, and they'll ask you right away, you're one of "those people".
"Those people" are the ones who're the nosy control freaks, though....usually are bigots too. HOA is the best environment for those, they love HOAs..."engaging" you...right through your wallet.

I think the contact with those should be nipped at the very start, without trying to engage in polite dancing around at first. "Waving" and "hi" from the distance: that's where the limit is.

Last edited by sierranevada1; 03-14-2019 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post
You seem to be confusing "total isolation from the community" with basic privacy / isolation from intrusive, nosy people who lack boundaries and sense of respect for others and their property, village gossipers, etc, though.
Waving is fine... are you in the Deep South?
Some places if you don't go to "their" church, and they'll ask you right away, you're one of "those people".
"Those people" are the ones who're the nosy control freaks, though....usually are bigots too.
Sorry to mess up your stereotypes, I'm in the northwest.

Those people tend to be the antisocial people that don't want to associate with the unwashed peasants, and will only talk to those "enlightened" people that went to the right college, make the right income, drive the right cars an MUST have the right politics, (leftist) or otherwise they are rednecked bigots.

Does that sound familiar now?

Just an FYI, I loathe HOAs, one of the main reasons I moved to a very rural area. I refuse to even look at land that has covenants.

I just feel that if you're part of a community, you should at least know the people you're avoiding without judging them unworthy before you even meet them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living