Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:13 PM

83 posts, read 43,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Greeting all.
Hey I have a somewhat odd question.
We purchased a second home on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.
We will be full time residents there in 3 years when our retirement kicks in.
We are in the unincorporated “boonies” on a secluded dead end road.
It’s about 5 miles from a mini mart and 12 or so miles to a city with 6k people.
There are about 20 houses on this road which is about 9 miles long.
90% are waterfront properties with long driveways and are vacation homes.
Ours is one of those.

So the question is how would you meet your neighbors?
I am somewhat of an isolationist.
For me personally I wouldn’t dig somebody walking down my road and knocking on my door.
Yeah I know that sounds kinda weird but even at my California place I don’t like people showing up un planned.
Not even family members but I’m ok with my 2 best friends (friends since grammar school)because they know how I feel and don’t abuse it.

A few weeks ago I was driving though the snow storm and met a neighbor shoveling snow and stopped to talk to him.
He thought I was odd at first then we talked for almost a half hour.
Turns out he is a partime resident just like me and has a house in California 10 miles from my house.
He lives in Pleasanton I live in Danville.

So my question is how do I meet the neighbors?
I’m thinking of putting a note in their mailbox that says hi my name is Andy.
I’m your neighbor this is my contact information if you need to get ahold of me or if you need any help I would enjoy doing what ever.
I don’t know.
What would you do?
Thank you.
Andy.
It's good to know your neighbors. Yet...jmho, to go into someone's mailbox is risky., That would anger me if I saw it.. Be normal, walk down with a pie or some gift of organic fruit/vegetables/local honey and knock on the door. Or drive. Don't wait too long after knocking in case they value privacy or are busy. leave the item.

You cannot plan to meet someone if you don't even know them yet... to plan to meet them. That makes no sense.

Our neighbor lives in Danville 50% of the time. She cannot seem to cut ties there, still enjoying it. Maybe she never will. Good luck!

Last edited by FrugalFox.; 03-15-2019 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,505,020 times
Do not put something in the mailboxes.

https://columbusrealtors.com/NewsDet...icle=100696064

Old 03-16-2019, 11:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Do not put something in the mailboxes.

https://columbusrealtors.com/NewsDet...icle=100696064
Spend a few dollars on blank postcards and just mail them, IF the resident has a mailbox. If not, it’s a moot point anyway.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:17 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
The best way to meet them, is to find their names and send them by mail an invitation them to a get to know your neighbors bar-b-que at your home on a Saturday afternoon, two weeks away,

That is how it is done in the country. It will allow you to get to know those that show up, and those that do not come or send you a regret due to other plans, will be people you would not want to be involved with.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The best way to meet them, is to find their names and send them by mail an invitation them to a get to know your neighbors bar-b-que at your home on a Saturday afternoon, two weeks away,

That is how it is done in the country. It will allow you to get to know those that show up, and those that do not come or send you a regret due to other plans, will be people you would not want to be involved with.
Wow, they only get one chance to attend one get together before being blacklisted? How neighborly. I guess having made previous plans or not feeling well is not allowed under your code.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:28 PM

I've never been on a blind date before and likely wouldn't show up to my neighbors via an invite from strangers either. Unless I see him face to face, then I'd make a decision upon whether I want to hang out with him.

Maybe i am weird but though I value my privacy, don't care for surprise stranger drop ins yet it's a necessary evil to ensure people know you.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
Be normal, walk down with a pie or some gift of organic fruit/vegetables/local honey and knock on the door.

You cannot plan to meet someone if you don't even know them yet... to plan to meet them. That makes no sense.
This is not normal behavior in the PNW, and the OP clearly doesn't want to set that sort of precedent.

OP, have you checked to see if the community has a "Next Door?" (it's an online social network designed to be used by those in the same specific neighborhood).

Old 03-17-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is not normal behavior in the PNW, and the OP clearly doesn't want to set that sort of precedent.

OP, have you checked to see if the community has a "Next Door?" (it's an online social network designed to be used by those in the same specific neighborhood).
I do not know what PNW stands for.

No one said one visit sets any precedence, that's a giant leap you've done.

We all know that is hardly the norm

It is common sense you'd need to visit first to even meet... to plan a future meeting

You don't expect to see a strangers hand in your mailbox, that is for sure.

Even well intentioned with a party invite

That is why I stated just be normal and walk down with a gift.

Leave it if they do not answer on one ring.

Having a party to invite strangers you've never met is different

Not wrong….just different

Parties are generally for folks you know already

It's not rocket science.

Go introduce yourself

Old 03-17-2019, 07:45 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Greeting all.
Hey I have a somewhat odd question.
We purchased a second home on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.
We will be full time residents there in 3 years when our retirement kicks in.
We are in the unincorporated “boonies” on a secluded dead end road.
It’s about 5 miles from a mini mart and 12 or so miles to a city with 6k people.
There are about 20 houses on this road which is about 9 miles long.
90% are waterfront properties with long driveways and are vacation homes.
Ours is one of those.

So the question is how would you meet your neighbors?
I am somewhat of an isolationist.
For me personally I wouldn’t dig somebody walking down my road and knocking on my door.
Yeah I know that sounds kinda weird but even at my California place I don’t like people showing up un planned.
Not even family members
but I’m ok with my 2 best friends (friends since grammar school)because they know how I feel and don’t abuse it.

A few weeks ago I was driving though the snow storm and met a neighbor shoveling snow and stopped to talk to him.
He thought I was odd at first then we talked for almost a half hour.
Turns out he is a partime resident just like me and has a house in California 10 miles from my house.
He lives in Pleasanton I live in Danville.

So my question is how do I meet the neighbors?
I’m thinking of putting a note in their mailbox that says hi my name is Andy.
I’m your neighbor this is my contact information if you need to get ahold of me or if you need any help I would enjoy doing what ever.
I don’t know.
What would you do?
Thank you.
Andy.
You have to first make up your mind on what you like and don't like. you can't feel this way that I highlighted and expect to meet new neighbors. It's like you have split feelings on the issue. Figure out what it is that you want first, then take it from there.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
I do not know what PNW stands for.

No one said one visit sets any precedence, that's a giant leap you've done.

We all know that is hardly the norm

It is common sense you'd need to visit first to even meet... to plan a future meeting

You don't expect to see a strangers hand in your mailbox, that is for sure.

Even well intentioned with a party invite

That is why I stated just be normal and walk down with a gift.

Leave it if they do not answer on one ring.

Having a party to invite strangers you've never met is different

Not wrong….just different

Parties are generally for folks you know already

It's not rocket science.

Go introduce yourself
PNW stands for the Pacific Northwest. No one goes knocking on doors brandishing pies or jars of honey here after they relocate. Again, it's not a social norm in the PNW to take food around to the neighbors when you move into a new neighborhood.

It's like this guy already said in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I live rurally on the Olympic peninsula.
Have been a rural person my whole life. (Always within a stones throw of the Canadian border.)

Personally, I would be weirded out by some neighbor, knocking on my door with a pie... That's a southern thing I think. So Don't bring me food....Do wave, smile, or nod on local road.
I'm not sure what you're on about with the mailboxes. That's a dumb idea too, and I wasn't suggesting it.

The OP doesn't want people knocking on his door, so it only stands to reason that he not start the practice himself. One visit does indeed set a precedent in many people's minds.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-17-2019 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living