Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 12:30 AM

83 posts, read 43,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
PNW stands for the Pacific Northwest. No one goes knocking on doors brandishing pies or jars of honey here after they relocate. Again, it's not a social norm in the PNW to take food around to the neighbors when you move into a new neighborhood.

It's like this guy already said in this thread:

I'm not sure what you're on about with the mailboxes. That's a dumb idea too, and I wasn't suggesting it.

The OP doesn't want people knocking on his door, so it only stands to reason that he not start the practice himself. One visit does indeed set a precedent in many people's minds.
Brandishing pies?

I've heard of brandishing weapons but pies?

You can't really be serious, this is some CRAZY stuff

Pies are not weapons, they are gifts.

Now take a deep breathe.

One visit is all i takes to meet people

No one is "starting a precedent"

Only you in your own mind sees pies as weapons

and a precedent upon one initial visit

Nor do not speak for the entire Pacific Northwest in saying that people do not bring pies as gifts or honey upon first meeting their neighbors. That's ludicrous
Nor "brandish pies" LOL.

With all due respect, you appear to have some real issues you are grappling with

And are projecting onto others

My suggestion is to appreciate your neighbors

don't imagine weapons where they do not exist

Nor convince yourself no one brings pies, honey or whatever as a kind gesture

in meeting new neighbors.

Relax a little will ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 01:13 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Calm down; it was a hyperbolic play on words that was obviously over your head.

The point remains that in the PNW, showing up out of the blue bearing food when you move into a new neighborhood isn't a cultural norm. The OP doesn't seem the type to do that anyway. As another poster pointed out, it would be considered weird. It would also create a situation where the recipient of the pie would be obliged to return the pie pan, thus the unwelcome and unwanted knock on the door.

PNW culture is reserved. For you to try to claim otherwise is what's ludicrous.

I was born and raised here. I'm pretty sure I have a better grasp on the social mores of my home than someone who doesn't even know what the abbreviation PNW stands for.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-18-2019 at 01:49 AM..

Old 03-18-2019, 02:36 AM

OP, one of my new neighbors invited everyone around here for a cocktail hour and tacos at their place, and it seemed to go over well. He issued his invitations by knocking on doors, but I wasn't home when he came here, but he left a nicely printed invitation on my door.

The 4th of July thing could work, but many people will have their own stuff going on then. I'd pick another date and keep it low-key. Something like barbecue and beverages.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Calm down; it was a hyperbolic play on words that was obviously over your head.

The point remains that in the PNW, showing up out of the blue bearing food when you move into a new neighborhood isn't a cultural norm.
The point cannot remain as this is the first time you've said this. I wasn't debating whether it was a cultural norm, it doesn't need to be a cultural norm.
Quote:
The OP doesn't seem the type to do that anyway. As another poster pointed out, it would be considered weird. It would also create a situation where the recipient of the pie would be obliged to return the pie pan, thus the unwelcome and unwanted knock on the door.
A bought pie comes with a disposable tin pie pan. Nothing to return

Quote:
PNW culture is reserved. For you to try to claim otherwise is what's ludicrous.
I wouldn't claim otherwise since this is the first time I've heard it.

Quote:
I was born and raised here. I'm pretty sure I have a better grasp on the social mores of my home than someone who doesn't even know what the abbreviation PNW stands for.
I am sure you are not feeling well, and are clearly confused. That is our best scenario otherwise you are just making things up so will give the benefit of the doubt. Your last post mentioned cocktails which is not a good idea

You do not represent the entire Pacific Northwest nor can speak on their behalf. Just as I do not represent Northern Calif though I was born and raised here and never left.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:50 PM

Wow. You sure get upset when someone tells you you're wrong about something. Again, it's not normal in the PNW to knock on doors with pies (and you're the one who used the word "normal" when suggesting the OP venture forth bearing pies).

Those disposable pie pans make crappy pies, btw, and they're far from eco friendly.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-18-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Greeting all.
Hey I have a somewhat odd question.
We purchased a second home on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.
We will be full time residents there in 3 years when our retirement kicks in.
We are in the unincorporated “boonies†on a secluded dead end road.
It’s about 5 miles from a mini mart and 12 or so miles to a city with 6k people.
There are about 20 houses on this road which is about 9 miles long.
90% are waterfront properties with long driveways and are vacation homes.
Ours is one of those.

So the question is how would you meet your neighbors?
I am somewhat of an isolationist.
For me personally I wouldn’t dig somebody walking down my road and knocking on my door.
Yeah I know that sounds kinda weird but even at my California place I don’t like people showing up un planned.

Not even family members but I’m ok with my 2 best friends (friends since grammar school)because they know how I feel and don’t abuse it.

A few weeks ago I was driving though the snow storm and met a neighbor shoveling snow and stopped to talk to him.

He thought I was odd at first then we talked for almost a half hour.
Turns out he is a partime resident just like me and has a house in California 10 miles from my house.
He lives in Pleasanton I live in Danville.

So my question is how do I meet the neighbors?

I’m thinking of putting a note in their mailbox that says hi my name is Andy.
I’m your neighbor this is my contact information if you need to get ahold of me or if you need any help I would enjoy doing what ever.
I don’t know.
What would you do?

Thank you.
Andy.
Your second home area with a few of the # changed around sound a lot like my primary. difference being, I'm in the Southland.

However you go about meeting them, by all means, don't do what I did.
My wife and I moved from another state, closest neighbor is 1/2 mile from our house, the realtor told us they (70+ couple) we're "The Salt of The Earth".
We were driving down our road and thought we should stop and introduce ourselves, I parked at the foot of their driveway and walked up and knocked on their door, a woman came to the door, asked if she could help me, I called her name and introduced myself, she proceeded to show me what she was holding alongside the door...
Her trusty friend she stated...her 357 magnum, she told me, you never can tell when one of those big ole Baars might come around.
That was more than 2 years ago, and since day 1 we have been like family, I do call before I show my face though.
Speaking of Honey, a month or so ago, she gave me a qt mason jar of the good stuff....gotta love these Mountain Folk.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Wow. You sure get upset when someone tells you you're wrong about something. Again, it's not normal in the PNW to knock on doors with pies (and you're the one who used the word "normal" when suggesting the OP venture forth bearing pies).

Those disposable pie pans make crappy pies, btw, and they're far from eco friendly.
deep breathe... now pay attention to what we are disccussing ok

No one said any one avenue to take to meet your neighbors is "Normal"

in fact, that is a misnomer so we'll drop this odd concept you've inserted

I guarantee you having a party to invite strangers isn't one of the more common ways to meeting neighbors

Nor is a hand inside the mailbox to insert an invite.

If I haven't even met them, it's unlikely I would commit to hanging around them at a party

We haven't even had a conversation so we'd need to do that first

To see if we even want to spend time together

We're all different, unique. Get it?

Eco friendly pie pans, another deviation from my words.

You do not represent the Pacific Northwest nor do I represent California.

Last edited by FrugalFox.; 03-18-2019 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Your second home area with a few of the # changed around sound a lot like my primary. difference being, I'm in the Southland.

However you go about meeting them, by all means, don't do what I did.
My wife and I moved from another state, closest neighbor is 1/2 mile from our house, the realtor told us they (70+ couple) we're "The Salt of The Earth".
We were driving down our road and thought we should stop and introduce ourselves, I parked at the foot of their driveway and walked up and knocked on their door, a woman came to the door, asked if she could help me, I called her name and introduced myself, she proceeded to show me what she was holding alongside the door...
Her trusty friend she stated...her 357 magnum, she told me, you never can tell when one of those big ole Baars might come around.
That was more than 2 years ago, and since day 1 we have been like family, I do call before I show my face though.
Speaking of Honey, a month or so ago, she gave me a qt mason jar of the good stuff....gotta love these Mountain Folk.
That's a great story. Good friends are hard to come by. Folks carry weapons in Nevada all the time so I am sure she wouldn't have shot you. It's just there for protection. We have bears here and a few our neighbors do the same thing.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
It's good to know your neighbors. Yet...jmho, to go into someone's mailbox is risky., That would anger me if I saw it.. Be normal, walk down with a pie or some gift of organic fruit/vegetables/local honey and knock on the door.
!
Yes, someone said leaving a pie was "normal." I replied that's not typical of PNW culture, and it isn't. It really is that simple. You should just drop it. The OP isn't the type to walk around his new neighborhood passing out pies anyway.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-18-2019 at 06:01 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 06:04 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I rather like the imagery of "brandishing pies or jars of jelly"... Here's to more picturesque speech!

We are often told, here in the PNW, that we are more reserved than most. I don't know... I only know me and what I know. He/she is right, its not normal to leave pies on a first meeting here.

A gathering ~might~ work if it's sold as a very casual affair for the whole road to get to know one another better... neighborhood watch kind of thing. Informal and outside. We made it work on our road because we have an HOA to maintain the road, so we get together once or twice a year for that and we usually make it a pot luck and roadside cleanup day at the same time... we mow the edges and cut back the berries and then have some lunch. Pretty low key.

One thing that was mentioned up thread that struck me... someone mentioned walking up the road to visit. I would NOT do that to introduce yourself. Someone walking up our driveway is much more alarming than someone in a car. I think it's the perception that someone on foot might be stranded which makes them potentially trouble, or at least a pain. Someone in a car is just passing through. If you can pull up, in a vehicle, find the neighbors outside and never leave your vehicle to exchange some greetings and pleasantries, that's by far the best option.... for me and my comfort zone. See if others agree. If you get out, you might want to come in, and I don't want to have to invite you in yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living