Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:02 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Sorry but... Didn't try the door? I bet they did. They didn't take a woodstove out through a window. They are a little heavy.
Wasn’t there, right, yeah, they prolly exited through the door, but you can’t tell with those Woodchucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 09:13 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
Kygman,
I do plan on exchanging contact information with my new neighbors but would like a call before a visit.
I mean just a heads up or something.
Nothing really big or set in stone so to speak.
Sometimes I need to clean myself a bit because I like to work on mechanical things and such,brush my hair or turn down the very loud Beasty Boys music I like to listen to when I do my chores.
I am somewhat private and somewhat reserved but yet friendly.
I’m thinking maybe if the gates are open I am open kind of an approach maybe.
I think if I show kindness and respect I will get that in return.
So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
All the best.
Andy

Old 05-26-2019, 08:52 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,487,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You sure got that right oldtrader.

Moving into a new neighborhood/ community/rural road and being immediately suspicious of your neighbors and their intentions is perfectly normal in a city where that mindset and attitude are endemic. I've never been so isolated as I was living with thousands of people around me in a city. No community, no trust, everyone suspicious of everyone else, phony smiles and bon homme only if they want something from you.

Folks that have always lived like that can't understand there are still genuinely good people out there. People that care about those around them and whose friendship doesn't come with a price tag.

I'd always planned on moving to such a community for retirement because I'd been raised in a rural environment and wanted that again. The area I'd planned on moving to was a dream for several years, I looked for land, took trips there and spent vacation time there.
Then while hunting last year in a different area I stumbled on a little pace that perfectly met my needs, and was in my price range.
I went to lunch at the local cafe after inspecting the property, turned into a 3 hour visit with the locals. They were open, friendly and welcoming. We just sat there and chatted having coffee. Some left to go back to work, others came in and took their place.
It was like talking to old friends I'd never met.

I walked out into the parking lot and called my broker to make an offer.

I'm in the process of moving in now. I took a load down a and spent the night. We went back to that cafe for breakfast and by the time we left, we'd met several of the locals, been invited to a potluck, had offers of help with moving, met 2 of the largest ranchers in the area and was offered the opportunity to hunt on 15000 acres of private land.

I've lived at my current place for 26 years. I can't tell you the name of the guy that lives just 2 doors down. I've only seen his wife twice, both times as she was driving by.

I served on the local fire department here for 12 years, worked with city planning, went to commission meetings and testified on several issues. I worked with volunteer's sandbagging for floods, searched for lost kids, but as far as friends? I have a lot, but only 1 within city limits.
When I moved in my next door neighbors and I would have bbqs, talk over the fence, I helped them several times when their car wouldn't start or digging out their sidewalks after a storm. They were older folks, and now have died or been moved into nursing homes. The new crop are just as described earlier in this thread. They're " very private" so they want nothing to do with you unless you have something. The one neighbor's son came by to meet us about 2 months after he inherited their house. Yeah he was friendly, because he wanted to buy my house. It seems he wants a bigger yard because his place only has one city lot, mine has 2. Bigger lawn, more prestige.

I really don't care. Washing my hands of this place, but he's going to have to increase his landscaping budget. I'll just be happy to see this town in my rear view mirror.
I'm going back to a community. A place where people care about each other. A simple place where folks take care of each other, work with each other, and actually know their neighbors names.
This sounds like my current rural neighborhood where we have lived for over 30 years. At one time, we were all friendly middle class people. I would talk gardening with one woman, ride horses with another. The divide came when a couple overpaid for their property (imho) and started a petition to stop folks from target practicing on their private property. Of course, it didn’t happen but still, you don’t try to change an area you just moved into.

We don’t know too many of the new neighbors. Several have installed gates and another has a huge fence. And, they all are more wealthy than we are. We are friendly but reserved. We like like our privacy but will have a friendly conversation. Btw, we are native PNW folks.

I think the best way is to walk down your road occasionally and wave if you see someone. They will know you are new and if they are interested will wave back. You may see them in town and you can strike up a conversation there. A party, I don’t know. I would probably not go as I do not like several of the newer ones (long story).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living