Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If I'm one of the other posters whose comments made you wonder, sure, I can and have been uncivil under certain circumstances. I've never had someone who just moved in knock on the door with a pie because that's just not done here, but someone knocked on the door with shrimp once. They said they were looking for someone who used to live there, and then they asked if they could come in and cook their shrimp. There was something really off about them, and I suspect they may have been on drugs. I said no and shut the door.

If a stray pie-bearer showed up and didn't activate my weirdo radar, my reaction would be similar to Diane's.
Come in and cook shrimp in a stranger’s house—yeah, I would say no and shut and LOCK the door, too.

Creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:15 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
Very few people bake pies nowadays.
Are you serious???

Jeepers you’re going to force me to become pro-pie!

Old 03-19-2019, 10:16 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
I like giving local honey better, it helps allergies and is better for you. Most everyone likes honey

Very few people bake pies nowadays.
I think I've seen a homemade pie just once in the last 5 years.
Otherwise it is bought pies which are sealed from a local bakery or grocery store with disposable pans.

What? Say it isn't so. I bake pie. I even bake chicken pot pie. I love pie. I can't imagine a world without homemade pie. I also can't imagine a world where a bunch of second home owners living on a cul de sac or lane were so dang weird that they wouldn't want to watch out for each other. How hard is it to take the time to slow down, wave, stop, and roll down your window to introduce yourself. 10 minutes out of your life. Jeez.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Actually, on second thought... At this point, how could we have a function without pie?
Here ya go!

https://www.cooks.com/recipe/k8xi8we...dship-pie.html

Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That looks pretty good.

I hope no one tells us PNW residents that "very few people bake pies anymore."

Here's one I like; I use king salmon for this:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...nd-salmon-pie/

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-19-2019 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Come in and cook shrimp in a stranger’s house—yeah, I would say no and shut and LOCK the door, too.

Creepy.
Yeah...it wasn't gonna happen. There was another guy once who was claiming to be new in the neighborhood and went around to a bunch of houses. Something was off about him, too. We never saw him again, but a couple of the neighbors told me they thought he was casing the area.

Using common sense about people who knock on the door and not inviting them in due to a misguided notions of it being "the country thing to do" doesn't translate to paranoia or "being a city person."

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-19-2019 at 10:43 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
That looks pretty good.

I hope no one tells us PNW residents that "very few people bake pies anymore."

Here's one I like; I use king salmon for this:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...nd-salmon-pie/
I assume the can of milk for friendship pie is condensed sweetened milk, not evaporated unsweetened milk. Recipe did not say which, but sugar is not included in the other ingredients. Looks like a very easy pie, no baking or real crust involved.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:54 AM

83 posts, read 43,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
What? Say it isn't so. I bake pie. I even bake chicken pot pie. I love pie. I can't imagine a world without homemade pie. I also can't imagine a world where a bunch of second home owners living on a cul de sac or lane were so dang weird that they wouldn't want to watch out for each other. How hard is it to take the time to slow down, wave, stop, and roll down your window to introduce yourself. 10 minutes out of your life. Jeez.
Oh...I miss chicken pot pie. More power to you for loving pie, I say no thank you

The vacation home owners on our street are very friendly, just like the majority of the locals but they don't stop and roll the window down unless they already know you already. You'd have to flag someone down to do that, as strangers would just keep driving unless you motioned with your hand or something. Which is fine too.

My guess is there are plenty of sub-divisions who don't watch out for each other, sadly.

We have a vast array of recreational opportunities so most will drive their car a very very short distance to get out to hike, walk, fish, whatever.

Cross country ski or snow ski. Its all within 10 min. So that is where you may see locals who may introduce themselves if they recognize you as the newbie in town. If you aren't outdoorsy like that, well it's likely they will just drop by with a gift to say hi. Leave it at the porch if you don't answer. That's what happened to us when we moved here 1 year or so ago. They heard about us because we had breakfast a few times at the local restaurant. Word travels fast here.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah...it wasn't gonna happen. There was another guy once who was claiming to be new in the neighborhood and went around to a bunch of houses. Something was off about him, too. We never saw him again, but a couple of the neighbors told me they thought he was casing the area.

Using common sense about people who knock on the door and not inviting them in due to a misguided notions of it being "the country thing to do" doesn't translate to paranoia or "being a city person."
Was it Darrell, and his other brother Darrell, and his other brother Darrell?

Old 03-20-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Are you serious???

Jeepers you’re going to force me to become pro-pie!
I guess pie is alright sometimes but if I am going to eat sweets,
it's going to be something I prefer
We live in a very very small town here but we do have a bakery
Even when it's closed which is over half the year
she takes orders all year
Most folks don't need to bake any pies from scratch here
When we bought pies years back
Always bought them from Bakers Square Restaurant
Delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living