Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 12:32 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times

Advertisements

There are parts of the state that still have free range areas for livestock, but not where we are! - and it's not common.

I have no real hope the dog problem will be solved, until the dogs are killed, either by a pissed off neighbor, or by wildlife. One already has been. The owners didn't learn then... not sure what else would teach them.

There is technically a leash law, but no real enforcement of it, they won't pick up dogs at large in the rural parts of the county... there's not staffing available to do that. There is a 24-hr drop kennel at the county where people can bring stray dogs, but we haven't used it yet. Our perimeter fencing has worked pretty well. It's just an annoyance... We go to all this trouble to live in the sticks away from people, and yet, there's always that one guy... .

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-12-2019 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 12:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Mountain Cur, Blackmouth Cur, etc. The curs are excellent hunting dogs, protection of family/property, smartest dogs I've ever owned in my almost 70 years, can be taught almost any skill - retrieving (soft mouth), capture/kill, etc.

I adopted a mountain cur (think Old Yeller) after fostering for a year. She had pretty bad dog-aggression but I trained it out of her - we now have another rescue dog, 6 cats she has adopted as her own, and several other foster dogs from time to time. She is now my Service Dog. When working, she is docile, friendly, and ignores other dogs/cats/whatevers. At home, she protects the property except she doesn't chase the deer, she digs for the moles/voles, hates the armadillo but will leave it on command and protects the kitties from hawks and snakes.

I expect any dog I own to follow commands: this dog goes beyond. She anticipates and has taught herself new skills by observation.

I've had beagles, goldens, setters, terriers, Airedales, fostered dobies, mutts; but this dog is my all-time favorite and my next service dog will be a cur.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Blackmouth cur is the breed of the dog that the owner I knew trained using GPS collar. I had never heard of them before meeting that one.

Smart, yes. Also dominant, though not aggressive. She was always testing to see if someone was a pushover.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:03 PM

126 posts, read 121,077 times
I say great pyrennees for what you are describing. we've had two, absolutely lovely, lovely dogs and great guard dogs.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
I’ve been hearing that Great Pyrenees is a damn fine dog.
Never much considered one.
I will now.
So I have to do a bit of research.

Dog wise I am a dog lover.
No ifs,ands or buts about it.
I keep my dogs trained.
They actually like their kennel.
I can say get in your cage and they run to it.
They even feel very secure there and use it when nobody tells them to cage up.
Ours is a rather large house so we have 3 kennels about 6 feet by 6 feet.spread around.

I will never allow my dogs to leave my properties.
I just won’t.
Even dumb ass little dogs will act as a pack to hurt somebodies lives stock.
I have seen pictures and believe that a common dog will pac up if given a chance.

That said our property line can’t be contained due to a creek in the ravine and stuff like that so they will feel the squeeze when they travel a bit to far.

All that said do any of you know some one that has cattle dogs that would sell one to a seasoned cattle dog owner.
My last one was a male blue mearl (sp?) and I know all their weirdness.
Thanks.
Andy

Old 03-12-2019, 08:16 PM

7,361 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Adopt a dog, don't shop one.

There are adoption agencies for all breeds. I used to foster for a basset hound rescue group. Pure breed dogs are available for much less than a breeder would charge. People hand over dogs to rescue groups for all sort of reasons like: big dogs and apartments are a mistake, or dogs need exercise or whatever reason they have.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:26 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Labrador Retriever. Can't think of a sweeter dog than that. I have no need for any specific purpose. A Lab would just be my buddy.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:46 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Which breed (not including small indoor types) would be the least likely to harass and eat your neighbors chickens and the most likely to not test fences and boundaries and stay on the property?

I would love to have a dog for my family and property someday but I'm hesitant because my property isn't fully fenced. I'd want my dog to spend the majority of the time with me outside. I would give the dog lots of love, attention, long walks, jobs/activities to do etc. I don't want to keep the dog in a kennel or small fenced in area. I wouldn't want the dog to bolt out and run off when I open the door.

Most of all I just dont want to have my dog run down to the neighbors (1/4 mile away or so) and harass or kill their animals or birds. I guess I could look into an electric fence or completely fencing in my property ($$$$).

Just wondering if there's one breed that really really likes staying close by to the house and not wandering off causing trouble?

Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM

7,361 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Which breed (not including small indoor types) would be the least likely to harass and eat your neighbors chickens and the most likely to not test fences and boundaries and stay on the property?

I would love to have a dog for my family and property someday but I'm hesitant because my property isn't fully fenced. I'd want my dog to spend the majority of the time with me outside. I would give the dog lots of love, attention, long walks, jobs/activities to do etc. I don't want to keep the dog in a kennel or small fenced in area. I wouldn't want the dog to bolt out and run off when I open the door.

Most of all I just dont want to have my dog run down to the neighbors (1/4 mile away or so) and harass or kill their animals or birds. I guess I could look into an electric fence or completely fencing in my property ($$$$).

Just wondering if there's one breed that really really likes staying close by to the house and not wandering off causing trouble?
I don't know the answer to your question. However, any hound dog like a beagle and basset hounds is out of question. Electric fences will not stop them. Labs might be good. My neighbor has a Samoyed which stay in the electric fence.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:22 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
Have you thought about a gun dog? Most of them love to be near their owners and although they are bred for hunting, most of them assist the hunter and are super protective. May just need to train them to stay away from your chickens? I'm not 100% sure, as I'm new to the breed (I have a Weim). They may run off, but they always come back. Many Weim owners use the invisible fence with vibration (vs shock). I stayed at my BF's parents house, they have 5 acres, nothing is fenced and the Weim was the only dog I really trusted off leash because although she'd run off, she'll come back. She also tries to protect me, when needed, she's not an alarm dog (she doesn't bark if someone rings the doorbell, but will bark if someone moves the door handle at all). Weim's are high energy though. I think if you raise them with the chickens, they should be fine. i think. LOL.

Lastly, all dogs shed (okay, 98% of them do). I'm assuming you're thinking more of long hair shedding? All I know is that the Weim sheds way more than my Shelties. The difference is I can't see it everywhere until I do the laundry or vacuum.

Either way, good luck!

Last edited by psichick; 03-13-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living