Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:30 PM

234 posts, read 162,164 times

Advertisements

I love my Australian Cattle Dog. But then again, heelers are my favorite breed of dog. They are super intelligent, are always watching to see where you are (this means they never stray very far from you), are very protective of their owners, they are not too big not too small, and never tire out....well, okay, he'll nap for like 10-15 minutes after a long hike through the woods, but then he's ready to go again!

By the way, my heeler does excellent with our chickens. Then again, he was raised with our pet sun conure bird that has free roam of the house, so he was taught at an early age that birds are not toys. Okay...So he will occasionally charge at them for fun but NEVER bites. Only other time he will chase at a chicken is when they are getting into something they shouldn't be and I say so....then he's RIGHT THERE, acting as the enforcer! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 08:31 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
Jrpuff
I totally dig it.
Cattle dogs are about the best.
One of the coolest things about them is that they are so incognito.
Nobody even knows how tough and smart these dogs are.
They don’t look tough at all.
How about their tenacious tendencies???
OMG!!!
They are also like shadows.
They just stick close to their Mom and Dad units
No leash required.
Must peeps don’t even know what they are looking at when they see them.
But surprise surprise .
I kinda dig that.
Thank you for reminding me of one of the best dogs ever.
All the best.
Andy.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Cattle dogs are very common in cattle ranching areas. I don’t recall seeing them back east, but they’re all over the interior west.

I’m wary of them because like to chase cyclists and bark a lot if owners don’t train and manage them. They seem to be too much dog for laissez-faire owners. Seen too many pet owners who think a heeler, Aussie, or border collie is right for them just because it is smart, then they leave them bored and unoccupied all day.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:31 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I like a dog that barks. Our neighbor had a bassett hound/ beagle mix and he'd bark every time he saw me through the fence. Just to say hello and he knew I'd be giving him and his yellow lab brother a milk bone. That's what I'd want if I lived in a rural area, a dog that would bark to alert you of strangers.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 PM

I strongly agree with you pikabike,
These are not not not for everyone and if you can’t properly spend the time training and working with them they are not for you.
We sadly had to put down our “Ozzy” the other year after him being a family member for 14 wonderful years.
I still miss him.
Andy.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:07 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,790,933 times
Mutts work for me. All I need is a dog that will bark at unusual situations; I can handle it from there.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:22 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
The best kind of dog I've ever had was just a full blooded mutt, or as a friend says, a Heinz breed. 57 varieties. Just rescued a young dog that the humane society was told was part dachshund and part just passing through. Somebody mentioned leash laws, but we have another dog that's pretty smart. She's a 7 year old spoiled rotten Chihuahua and we let her out in the front yard to do her business and she won't leave our yard. Thankfully she doesn't bark like most Chihuahuas.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:11 PM

234 posts, read 162,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
They are also like shadows.
Funny enough, that's what I named my fellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I strongly agree with you pikabike,
These are not not not for everyone and if you can’t properly spend the time training and working with them they are not for you.
Someone in town has one of Shadow's brothers from the same litter. I took my pup EVERYWHERE with me from the time he was 8 weeks old and socialized him heavily. He's one of the friendliest heelers you'll ever meet. His brother was not socialized very well and it shows....very anxious and timid around strangers.

https://imgur.com/a/TXustSf

Old 04-05-2019, 08:15 AM

Jrpuff,
I can’t give you anymore positiveity points but I sure would like to.
Cattle dogs need a lot of things and one of those is a job.
Mine road shotgun.
I’d tell Ozzy to “load up” and in the truck he went.
One of the other many other jobs he had was to teach people how to play frisbee.
He really accelled at this and has trained quite a few people.

We camp a lot and did a lot of abalone diving.
Ozzy has never needed to be tied,chained or tethered up when we camped.
Other people we camped/dived with would have to tie their dogs up.
There would be 3-4 dogs tied up.
Crying and whining and there was Ozzy sitting by our side ignoring their whims and such.

I think I know which way I’m gonna go.
Thanks all.
All the best.
Andy

Old 04-05-2019, 08:24 AM

Ha Ha Ha.
Love that pic.
Gimme a bit and I’ll dig one out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living