Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 04:08 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times

Advertisements

I am a dog lover.
I just can’t see me not having a dog as a family member.
Most of my dogs sleep on the foot of our bed or right at the bottom of the bed on a rug thingy.
I’m an old grey beard so I’ve had quite a few.
I’ve had Newfoundland’s,border collies,cattle dogs,labs and several pit bulls along with dashunds (sp?) even 2 chihuahuas.
One of my favorites was a Newfy.
I think my all time favorite is the pit bulls.
Close second is the Australian Cattle Dog.
They are just so darn smart it’s scary and I love them dearly.
The thing is Newfs and cattle dogs shed to high heaven and I hate that extra work.
The Pitts don’t shed but they have that ugly rep that bad owners gave them.
The wifey loves Pitts but is afraid of the bad reputation.
This is kinda what we need.
I want to free range my chickens.
I want to have protection. Something that will die for you.
There are bear here and 2 legged butt holes.
Border collies will actually do well with hens.
Cattle dogs and Pitts not so much but they will protect you like no other.
Newfs die early, but they ware damn nice and will always love you.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 04:29 PM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
There isn't just one right answer - much depends on your personality, as much as the dog's.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,333 times
What is your best rural area dog?-10877b11-12c7-46f1-b6b4-3174a4e65ab0.jpegI take it your rural or planning to go rural.
In my geography, between the ticks, coyotes, and bobcats, you can’t let Fido run free, we chose a Lhasa Apso, they were first bred in Tibet as sentry dogs.
Our driveway is 1/2 mile long, leading up to our home on the ridge line of our 65 acre homestead, Monty can hear a pin drop at the foot of the dw, loyal, loving, and attentive.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
I’d have to add Bouvier to the list. Aubrey is one of the smartest dogs I’ve ever had. It’s almost like having another person around. I never have to tell him anything twice. He stays well away from the chickens and is the first one to hear a coyote and has chased off his share.

At one hundred thirty pounds, he grew a little larger than the breeder said (eighty) but he is very agile and no sign of hip problems. His lineage is from France and Belgium where these dogs have been helping farmers for centuries. His breeder who is also from that region, has showed Bouviers extensively and couldn’t have picked a better dog than Aubrey. He is a super smart and devoted boy.

I have allergies and Bouviers don’t shed. It’s easier to send him to the groomer than to brush out that sheepdog hair he grows.
Attached Thumbnails
What is your best rural area dog?-2db0dc64-69ed-499f-9da9-e472f21247f3.jpeg  

Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There isn't just one right answer - much depends on your personality, as much as the dog's.
^^^ This or------ those you have picked up from the edge of the road that some one else dumped like so much garbage. Those have always been my best farm dogs BUT no matter how a big a dog lover you are, you have to be willing to figure out and live with/deal with/hopefully train out of. The mental issues the dog was left with by the loser that dumped it.

I have ten dogs buried in my pet sematary. Most of them were dogs I did not seek out but were either dumped on the surrounding roads, the neighbors moved to town and could not take the dogs with them.

I have had:

Beagle/mixes
Rottweillers (#4 was currently rehomed to me)
Dobermans
Doberman/Rottweiler
Lab/Sharpei
Lab/Red Heeler
Collie
Weimaraner
Labrador
Catahoula/Fox Terrier
Catahoula/Pit Bull

And there were a few I scraped off the road, took to the vet, didn't survive, so I brought them home for a decent burial.

My point is every one of those dogs were and are great farm dogs because I worked with each of them. Some of the breeds and mixes were and are stubborn, therefore training takes longer when a dog says "how come?" When I say "no", lol

A lot of livestock folk in my area have Great Pyrenees or mixes of them. Middle Tennessee is a hot/humid climate in summer and not that cold in winter. I won't own a Pyrenees because there is too much hair upkeep and work to keep the dog cooled down, IMHO.

So amount of hair you want to deal with should be first consideration but ANY type of medium size and up dog is great for a farm if you are willing to put the time in, get a dog from a rescue or shelter

Old 03-11-2019, 10:05 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
I have Scotch Collies, precursors to Border Collies, can't ask for a better farm dog, watch dog and family dog.

If you prefer pit bulls, plan on replacing a lot of free range chickens.

One breed that splits the difference is the German Shepherd. First bred as herding dogs, used extensively as guard dogs with a reputation of being capable of being violent. They are intensely loyal to their masters too.

If you've had good luck with blue or red heelers, go with one of them since you already know the breed.

Don't let any dog run unsupervised in an area where other people raise livestock, or you may end up paying for a lot of dead or injured animals, or a dead dog.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:30 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Don't let any dog run unsupervised in an area where other people raise livestock, or you may end up paying for a lot of dead or injured animals, or a dead dog.

Good luck.
^^^^Yes to this a thousand times. Just because one lives in a rural setting, it does NOT give you the right to let your dogs run all over two counties. Especially if they have any sort of "guard" blood in them to where someone might shoot them first and ask questions later.

My two remaining dogs are the 4-1/2 yr old Catahoula/Pit Bull & the 2yr old Rottweiler. They are house dogs. They have ~1/3 acre back yard that is in five foot chain link to go out when DH or I can't be with them in the real world. I run them every day on our 25 acres, plus they go to the barn every night with us. Their recall stinks when they are in the real world thanks to rabbits, deer, & chickens; that means they wear E-collars so they don't "go off chasing butterflies" in the real world.

The days of letting any old dog roam free in a humane way, are lonnnng gone. Even if the breed is not considered a "threat", keeping it confined when you aren't around ensures its good health .

These are my two current dogs "checking fences". I am fully aware of the responsibility of owning these types of dogs, so I take every precaution to keep them and the rest of the world safe, yet still let them enjoy life. They are both great with the horses. On occasion we will ask the Catahoula/Pit to get the big sorrel moving if he decides he wants to eat grass a little longer at night, when he should be heading to the barn --- that took some training it didn't just happen.

The little black dog is a rescue my neighbor took in -- he has a nice & big back yard, with two other rescues -- he knows how to get out of the fence as soon as his humans leave for work -- he is polite and great around the livestock (including their chickens), so he gets to come and play when I take my dogs out. He does great listening to commands for treats -- he has the smarts to keep himself out of trouble but he is in the minority, lol

What is your best rural area dog?-image.jpg

Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
After 20-odd years out here, with various dogs, my favorites have been Australian Cattle Dogs (love 'em and if it's THEIR chickens they'll leave them alone, at least ours would), Pyr or Pyr crosses (we have a 14-year-old Pyr/Lab cross right now), but right now we have the best dog ever and never expected to have one of this breed - he's a German Shepherd/Tibetan Mastiff cross, leaning toward Tibetan Mastiff. Calm, enormous (115 pounds when the vet weighed him a few days ago when he was in for his shots, and he's still growing), friendly but I wouldn't want to be someone who threatened anyone he considers his, as intelligent as an Australian Cattle Dog (and that's saying a lot). One of those that really is a person.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:39 AM

768 posts, read 860,150 times
And no where on these lists do you find the English Shepherd. Adaptable to almost any lifestyle. Yes, they shed and yes you have to take care of this. A small price to pay for the intelligence, adaptability, gentle, but wary personality. Having had Labrador Retrievers all my life....another wonderful breed of dog that has been overbred so much that many never look like the standard, my first English Shepherd has become dear to our hearts. Not too big....certainly not too small. Gets rid of vermin or herds your cattle, chicken or ?. Not as "busy" as a border, but just as smart. Beautiful dogs to the eye as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living