Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:11 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think they'll bark at anyone, but LGDs are usually raised to not be particularly keyed on people, just animal predators. The ones I know will woof at us when we come, but they don't threaten us.

Thanks for the response. I hope to one day have a smallish farm, but may need a dog to protect and as much as I love my Shelties, I know they're not going to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Thanks for the response. I hope to one day have a smallish farm, but may need a dog to protect and as much as I love my Shelties, I know they're not going to do anything.

Truth is, your shelties may often do the most important job, which is alerting YOU to the problem.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:47 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think they'll bark at anyone, but LGDs are usually raised to not be particularly keyed on people, just animal predators. The ones I know will woof at us when we come, but they don't threaten us.
Great Pyrenees pups will bond to whatever you want them to protect...you need carefully imprint them when small. However, ours have also always been protective of me and were crazy protective of the kids when they were young. So you can certainly bond them to just people.

If a Pyr every grabs someone's arm, you know that person is up to no good--regardless of how they look to you. I had one memorable incident & several others where one of my Pyrs saved my bacon. I recommend females because they seem think they are the den mothers of their place.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:51 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
I have had some real smart female dogs.
Them prys are really making me think about them.
We were once owned by a big ass extra jumbo sized Newfoundland for a while.
Worst bed buddy ever .

Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Oh yes,
BTW yes I did put that electric collar on me.
I am about the farthest thing from an animal abuser that you might see.
Yes I tried it.
I couldn’t in good faith use it on one of ours with out knowing what it does.
If you push it it’s not real nice but not that bad.
There is like a 12 foot or so range that goes from a tingle to not liking it.
I do not feel that this is cruel because I’ve seen it work.
I have actually spent some time doing research on this.
Have you?
Probably not.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:46 PM

The only dog I’ve ever used it on was a full grown pit bull that we ended up with.
Btw do you think having a dog on a leash is cruelty to animals?
How do you think a dog feels like when a dog needs to be redirected or corrected?
Choke collars and all them things are kinda nice huh?

Old 03-21-2019, 09:46 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
The best kind of dog to have in a rural area, is the kind that lets you know that someone they don't know is approaching. Not attacking people, but barking at them and alerting you.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:27 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
Hi, Andy, I see your posts a lot! I live in the general area where you are retiring, and in addition to bears, I have seen more than one mountain lion, aka cougar. Also, the coyotes are moving in closer and becoming bolder.

I love Dobermans, I have one now. I especially love RESCUED Dobermans. They are lovable, loyal, very smart and VERY protective. They love to sleep in bed with you. Their short hair keeps the home clean, but in our neck of the woods they need a coat outdoors in winter. Like pitbulls, GSDs, etc., you need to check your homeowners insurance, many in this state won’t cover those breeds and others like them.

Regarding fencing, I have fenced to keep other dogs OUT. Many people around here think it’s their divine right to let their dogs run where they please, when they please, and I beg to differ. I have a neighbor who thought it was perfectly fine for his dog to take a crap right by my deck. He told me that the rain would dissolve the huge poop piles...NOT. That was one dog that I did not feel bad about when the careless neighbor allowed it to get run over on the road.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:39 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Hi, Andy, I see your posts a lot! I live in the general area where you are retiring, and in addition to bears, I have seen more than one mountain lion, aka cougar. Also, the coyotes are moving in closer and becoming bolder.

I love Dobermans, I have one now. I especially love RESCUED Dobermans. They are lovable, loyal, very smart and VERY protective. They love to sleep in bed with you. Their short hair keeps the home clean, but in our neck of the woods they need a coat outdoors in winter. Like pitbulls, GSDs, etc., you need to check your homeowners insurance, many in this state won’t cover those breeds and others like them.

Regarding fencing, I have fenced to keep other dogs OUT. Many people around here think it’s their divine right to let their dogs run where they please, when they please, and I beg to differ. I have a neighbor who thought it was perfectly fine for his dog to take a crap right by my deck. He told me that the rain would dissolve the huge poop piles...NOT. That was one dog that I did not feel bad about when the careless neighbor allowed it to get run over on the road.
When we had dogs, we built a fully-enclosed pen. Not only did it keep our little predators from making good on their instincts and prowess, it kept out other dogs AND mountain lions, which were all over our neighborhood. Bears, too.

The best dog is one that will watch for anything intruding on the owner’s property while not intruding on other land.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:37 PM

Hi all.
The last thing I need or want is a dog that wonders off.
I won’t tolerate that
We have lived in our CA house since 1986.
It’s on the Diablo Scenic Trail or something like that .
Sounds kinda nice but what it really means is we have a lot of bike,foot traffic and even some wheelchair cruisers types just past our driveway.
I don’t let my dogs run free but the front door does open.
I would never allow my dogs to put a pedestrian or neighbor at risk.
That just ain’t me.
Our dogs (other than that stupid one that I love) that my adult kid brought here when he moved back in, (you know the one “I shock the crap out of “ ) are trained that the Boogie Man lives just past our driveway.
Easy to do if you spend time with them as pups.
I just don’t see an issue at our new place, I mean this is not new to me.
Happygrrrl, we probably have a bit in common.
G’Day.
Andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living