Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 05:17 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I have had both with AT&T. I was the most happy with DISH. For one thing, there are constantly pushy salespeople trying to sell DirectTV, bundled with AT&T, but they have no control over what ATT charges, although they make it seem like they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 05:33 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
[quote=Jimrob1;60389529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Only $19.95 for those antennas you see advertised on TV. Plus they always throw in two for the price of one.[/QUO

I tried indoor antennas 60 Mile range is what I was finding. The antenna didn't pick up much. It couldn't even pick up channels in Orlando or Tampa. I'm out of range where I live. We can't have outdoor antennas in the subdivisions here. So it's Direct or pay this subdivision for their cable, which is more than Direct TV.
Doesn't that go against HOA rules of not being able to have access to local TV regardless of outdoor antenna?
I hope you got a refund on that indoor antenna.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:12 AM

84 posts, read 57,019 times
We live rural with no cable or over the air tv service available. I switch satellite providers every couple of years after their 2 year price guarantee expires and have been satisfied with both DirecTV and Dish service. My DirecTV bill just went to $147mo and their customer service department was only able to offer me a $20mo discount even after informing them that I could get a similar Dish package for $75mo for 2 years. Still unwilling to compromise I switched back to Dish 2/1/2021. Since then I've been getting 'Sorry to see you go and we miss you special offers via email and USPS'. Sorry DirecTV, you've lost me for the next 2 years and I'll be enjoying my tv for $72mo less than I was paying.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:50 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,960 times
Just a little rabbit ear deal here 31 channels usually.Guy from centurylink told me not enough pop. to waste money scrambling channels so we just get em free.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:01 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
[quote=nowhereman427;60389687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

Doesn't that go against HOA rules of not being able to have access to local TV regardless of outdoor antenna?
I hope you got a refund on that indoor antenna.
I'm not sure but if someone puts an antenna on their home, a letter is in your mailbox telling you Antenna's are not allowed. You only see Satellite Dish's on roofs here, and not that many, as the majority buy the cable service from the subdivision Developer that owns the property. It's called Decca. Believe me if your a senior in Florida your considered a source of revenue for every business down here. They will get every penny they can out of you. Not a comforting feeling as you get older. That Decca Cable Bill can get very expensive even more than Dish or Direct. Plus if there is a problem they are only open Mon thru Fri. That's why I decided against using Decca.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:36 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
HOA can't prohibit antennas, whether satellite or regular old OTA. The same law that allows DirecTV type dishes, also allows std antennas. They can require you apply for a permit from the HOA, and they can require some extremely minimal restrictions (location, size, etc). But any costs associated with the HOA process have to be "reasonable".

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

More specific info:

https://ting.com/blog/the-otard-law-...20installation.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:11 AM

473 posts, read 405,130 times
If you cannot place an antenna on your roof, put it in the attic near a vent opening. If you buy the right antenna, you should be able to get 100+ miles reception. Keep in mind station location will vary, so being able to rotate the antenna to get a given channel may be necessary.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:52 AM

84 posts, read 57,019 times
Another perk for switching providers. In addition to just saving $72 a month on my bill by changing to Dish, yesterdays mail had a envelope from them containing a $300 prepaid Mastercard as a Thank You!

Old 06-18-2021, 07:13 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I want to get rid of Direct TV because of the bill. I only have the basic service nothing extra. It's up to $130 and keeps going up. Then I have Century Link for the basic internet service $50. So $180 a month for minimum everything. I swear my majority programming is Infomercials, Spanish and Religious Channels. There is basically little I want beyond local channels which they keep taking away. The Direct TV bill keeps going up every few months, and they won't lower it. Believe me I call them including this week. This is far to much for some retirees on Social Security. My contract doesn't end until Feb. I don't think 2 year contracts should be allowed for something as ridiculous as TV.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:39 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I want to get rid of Direct TV because of the bill. I only have the basic service nothing extra. It's up to $130 and keeps going up. Then I have Century Link for the basic internet service $50. So $180 a month for minimum everything. I swear my majority programming is Infomercials, Spanish and Religious Channels. There is basically little I want beyond local channels which they keep taking away. The Direct TV bill keeps going up every few months, and they won't lower it. Believe me I call them including this week. This is far to much for some retirees on Social Security. My contract doesn't end until Feb. I don't think 2 year contracts should be allowed for something as ridiculous as TV.
There is no doubt DirecTV is the most expensive of the TV options. Ever since ATT bought them a few years ago, their focus went from attracting new subscribers, to squeezing every dollar from current subscribers. As I pointed out in one my posts above, my monthly bill has gone up from $100 to over $250 in 15 years.

As far as the two year contract: The two year startup contract is common in all these businesses (cable, cell, Internet, etc). It's how they cover the cost of install, equipment, etc. If they didn't have a contract, your startup charges would be several hundred dollars more. But once your two years are covered, you go month to month, and can cancel at any time. TINSTAAFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living