Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 04:20 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I want to get rid of Direct TV because of the bill. I only have the basic service nothing extra. It's up to $130 and keeps going up. Then I have Century Link for the basic internet service $50. So $180 a month for minimum everything. I swear my majority programming is Infomercials, Spanish and Religious Channels. There is basically little I want beyond local channels which they keep taking away. The Direct TV bill keeps going up every few months, and they won't lower it. Believe me I call them including this week. This is far to much for some retirees on Social Security. My contract doesn't end until Feb. I don't think 2 year contracts should be allowed for something as ridiculous as TV.
I may have commented on this thread way back in the beginning but things have changed, lol

After 23 years of being a DirecTV subscriber, fired them and I was not pleasant about it.

I also have limited choices.

I went with Dish during their senior citizen promotion a few months back. I shaved $78/month off the bill, which is locked in for two years. I could save a lot more if DH didn’t watch the ESPN channels.

I now have Ride TV which a is a pretty good horse channel but I lost Ovation

Another plus is their tech that did all the installation has been with them for 12 years and only lives 15 miles from us.

I was happy with DirecTV until AT&T bought them — things went downhill really fast after that.

The straw that broke the camel’s back was when DH’s brand new (as in under six months) black box went bad and once again they wanted to send a tech. Turns out that “new” box was a refurbished piece of equipment which seems to be one of the ways DirecTv may be increasing their profits these days.

The Dish tech claims Dish manufactures all of their equipment and to-date, has never used refurbished equipment.

I am also pretty sure he said the equipment is made in the U.S. Granted some parts might not be, but final assembly is here, in the U.S.

So there’s my story and as the country song says —— “I’m stickin’ to it”, lollol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 05:44 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times
About 13 years ago we switched from Time-Warner cable to Dish Network. After 1.5 years we developed intermittent problems with the entire system crashing. Rebooting helped but another crash could come the same day, or 2 days later.

We called Dish, they came next day. They went through everything but couldn't find the cause. New DVR, didn't help. Called again, came out next day. To make it short, they have been at our townhouse maybe 5 times in 2 months. The techs and the operators were always apologizing and trying their best to help us. Finally after replacing everything the problem went away and we never had an issue since then.

At our current home in Paradise we lose reception in a snowfall. I can reach the satellite with a broom and we are back. Happens maybe twice every winter.

We keep Dish because their customer service is excellent. Our current bill is 112 per month, 3 TV sets and more channels than we need, but we could save $ 18 if I'd drop the "Dish Latino." I'd be sleeping with the dog out in the garage, but hey, we saved 18 bucks. Please tell me, Dear Moderator, is that worth a try ?

Old 06-18-2021, 06:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
I have had Dish since our satelite service was phased out,at first we took Dish for around $500 annually which got you everything they had to offer.
Now I pay $98 per month,they were increasing it at a $6 per month yearly for awhile.
They forced me to pay for locals for awhile and finally got out of that.I get 40 channels.I have no complaints.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:03 PM

2,040 posts, read 1,605,720 times
Neither one of them. So many things can go wrong with the equipment and/or cabling that it’s not even worth it. I’m only about 14 miles away from the local OTA transmitters, and get all the channels needed via antenna. Can also stream just about any program or sporting event.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:47 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Oh, my..... I just have an Antenna in the attic.

Years ago we tried Direct or Dish. I can't remember which one. It was a pain in the neck. Reading all these posts doesn't make me want to give either of them another go.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:38 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Cable bill here (Premium package) is over $200 per month.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:29 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
For those of you with an antenna, or cable, great. More power to you!

But as said many times in this thread... many of us have _NO_ alternative. If you're in the country (and this is the RURAL forum), satellite may be your only choice. So it comes down to Dish or DirecTV. Heck, until last year, I didn't even have Internet (Hughes doesn't count, I'd rather go without than use Hughes).

So I'm glad for all of you who can get an antenna signal, but your repeated replies of "Neither one of them. I’m only about 14 miles away from the local OTA transmitters, and get all the channels needed via antenna", that's not really helpful.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:57 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
For those of you with an antenna, or cable, great. More power to you!

But as said many times in this thread... many of us have _NO_ alternative. If you're in the country (and this is the RURAL forum), satellite may be your only choice. So it comes down to Dish or DirecTV. Heck, until last year, I didn't even have Internet (Hughes doesn't count, I'd rather go without than use Hughes).

So I'm glad for all of you who can get an antenna signal, but your repeated replies of "Neither one of them. I’m only about 14 miles away from the local OTA transmitters, and get all the channels needed via antenna", that's not really helpful.
Yes this is true and I understand alot of people in rural areas don't get options..
The only thing that I have heard about Direct TV or Satellite dish programming is primarily sports. I do not watch sports. I will watch local news and TNT, TBS and a few movie channels. Not into the conventional sports. (Love sports entertainment : All Elite Wrestling and WWE Pro Wrestling.) History channel is fine.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:57 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
I have used Direct for decades, first in the house and now in our mobile house-an RV.

The CS is awful and I will do anything not to call them. My account still shows my service address as a house I sold five years ago, despite the fact I receive the correct local channels which are far far away from where I used to live.

The signal is good and reliable. I mainly keep it because I use apps to watch shows and they require a subscription to that network via cable or satellite.

When I was in the two year contract period they raised my rates. I complained -hey I am under contract! CS responded with screenshots of the service agreement. It turns out they can raise your rates in the initial two year period. My bad for not reading the fine print.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:17 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
[quote=RMD3819;61286788]I have used Direct for decades, first in the house and now in our mobile house-an RV.

The CS is awful and I will do anything not to call them. My account still shows my service address as a house I sold five years ago, despite the fact I receive the correct local channels which are far far away from where I used to live.

The signal is good and reliable. I mainly keep it because I use apps to watch shows and they require a subscription to that network via cable or satellite.

When I was in the two year contract period they raised my rates. I complained -hey I am under contract! CS responded with screenshots of the service agreement. It turns out they can raise your rates in the initial two year period. My bad for not reading the fine print.[/QUOTE

That's what I'm dealing with. Constant rate increases and loss of channels during the 2 year contract if I get rid of Direct come Feb when the 2 yrs is up. I have no other choices for service besides Dish. I don't want them either No cable providers come here. The HOA doesn't allow outside antennas. The indoor antennas can't pick up signals here. I feel like a hostage to Direct TV. I didn't even consider this could happen when retiring here. Sadly I'm finding alot of things lacking here related to no options, not just the lack of tv providers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living