Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 09:47 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times

Advertisements

Cable and satellite tv are losing piles of customers every day to streaming. Ultimately, don’t see how these companies make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 10:16 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Cable and satellite tv are losing piles of customers every day to streaming. Ultimately, don’t see how these companies make it.
It's a real concern. They are having trouble competing against both streaming and mainline cable. They can continue to raise rates in an attempt to make money, but that drives even more people away.

And for those of us with no option other than satellite, it's scary.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:54 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's a real concern. They are having trouble competing against both streaming and mainline cable. They can continue to raise rates in an attempt to make money, but that drives even more people away.

Well obviously these Satellite companies depend on those of us that have no other options. Here in Ocala where I live I find this very strange. Some residents have Spectrum, Comcast, Cox for cable. Yet there is not even a half mile from me to their servicing areas. I see Spectrum advertise Tv for $44.95 per month Then in my area of Ocala these companies won't service. So my case Direct or Dish. The subdivision I live in offers only 3 Orlando channels and info channels. Nothing else. One of the Orlando channels left so only 2 now. So older people are stuck in this situation with Tv. Personally I think this is extremely cruel

Old 06-21-2021, 03:19 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
There is something called "Streaming" which I do not understand which is another form to watch TV? Or how to do it. I am guessing it's more forms of subscriptions??
I am not sure if it is for local news but I am guessing it is for movies and pay per view events. Programs like Peacock, Amazon, Apple TV? I don't understand what these companies are for but you must pay $$$ to get their services which I guess are primarily movies???
I am used to having cable and able to view movie channels, history channels, fishing channels, automotive channels and local news and weather.
Also I notice they do not sell DVD players anymore. It is DVR's now.
Just like in cars they no longer have CD players or cassettes. It is flashdrives and Sirius satellite radio.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:56 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
There is something called "Streaming" which I do not understand which is another form to watch TV? Or how to do it. I am guessing it's more forms of subscriptions??
I am not sure if it is for local news but I am guessing it is for movies and pay per view events. Programs like Peacock, Amazon, Apple TV? I don't understand what these companies are for but you must pay $$$ to get their services which I guess are primarily movies???
I am used to having cable and able to view movie channels, history channels, fishing channels, automotive channels and local news and weather.
Just like in cars they no longer have CD players or cassettes. It is flashdrives and Sirius satellite radio.
Yes streaming is subscription services and one has to be careful with them. They are for TV shows and movies and such. They are not for local programming such as news. You get one streaming service then want another and on and on, it gets expensive fast. It's basically a racket. I had Acorn TV for about 8 months and canx it as I found I only wanted a few programs on it. I was careful not to subscribe to more as I could see where it would lead. Bigger and Bigger bills. The other thing with them at least in my case. I had to watch the programming on my laptop. That wasn't enjoyable at all. I could not find how to switch the program to the TV set. Maybe a certain type of TV is needed. I don't know. Either way I either watch this damn Direct TV, or I have no other way to watch TV in this area of Florida.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:55 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
T
You can still buy players. They're Blu-ray rather than DVD but it's still a disc player.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:10 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
You can still buy players. They're Blu-ray rather than DVD but it's still a disc player.
I used to buy all of these electronics at Costco but they no longer sell DVD players or CD's or CD players.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Not me. When my cable provided box of 10 years broke down, I bought a TIVO box and rented the required cable card from the cable company. After a year, I don't regret doing it.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:55 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
I used to buy all of these electronics at Costco but they no longer sell DVD players or CD's or CD players.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...=960&keys=keys

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...eahead=blu-ray

https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=...awTerm=blu-ray

Old 06-22-2021, 10:51 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Post It can be tough to buy a TV which isn't "smart" and doesn't include an array of streaming video clients built-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Quote:

Starlink satellite Internet is content agnostic, and works wonderfully for streaming video, even 4K/UHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes streaming is subscription services and one has to be careful with them. They are for TV shows and movies and such. They are not for local programming such as news. You get one streaming service then want another and on and on, it gets expensive fast. It's basically a racket. I had Acorn TV for about 8 months and canx it as I found I only wanted a few programs on it. I was careful not to subscribe to more as I could see where it would lead. Bigger and Bigger bills. The other thing with them at least in my case. I had to watch the programming on my laptop. That wasn't enjoyable at all. I could not find how to switch the program to the TV set.
With a dongle (FireTV, Chromecast) or a set top box (STB) like Roku, there are streaming apps which can play directly to any HDMI-capable TV including live news.

News channels via streaming to TV are generally free (they include ads).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living