Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 07:53 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What happened to putting up an antenna on the roof at least for local news?
This is the "Rural and Small Town Living" forum. Many of us have no access to OTA broadcasts (what you call "antenna").

I would *love* to have an antenna, then I could use a TiVo to record shows, which is a far better DVR than anything offered by the MSOs. Alas... too far to get a signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 08:20 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
We have Dish -- for the local channels more than anything. Sure, I like to watch the Food Network and History Channel, but really, the big thing is having the local networks. I'm far enough out in the sticks that I can't get tv with just an antenna and haven't found a streaming option that does what I need.

I've never used DirectTV, but have shopped their prices to compare and Dish always seems to be lower.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've never used DirectTV, but have shopped their prices to compare and Dish always seems to be lower.
It's generally accepted that Dish is less expensive than DirecTV. And for locals, where all the other features & benefits are not critical, Dish is a great option.

What DirecTV brings to the game is a much broader selection of channels, and a much better DVR. For example, HBO is not available on Dish. And HBO is must-see TV to me.

But for locals, its a great option.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:36 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's generally accepted that Dish is less expensive than DirecTV. And for locals, where all the other features & benefits are not critical, Dish is a great option.

What DirecTV brings to the game is a much broader selection of channels, and a much better DVR. For example, HBO is not available on Dish. And HBO is must-see TV to me.

But for locals, its a great option.
Probably a fair analysis. Never really thought of it, but that makes sense.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:00 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Dish right now does not have CBS ether along with HBO.
That must be a local dispute with the TV station. Our local channels include CBS and Dish also carries CBS News.

HBO is missing because of the dispute between Dish and AT&T.

To answer the OP's question, the Joeys are wireless, I think using Sling tech. They have an ethernet port and USB port on the back, Each Joey has HDMI and composite video/stereo audio and digital audio outputs. I don't know how the ethernet works, since wireless gives full resolution video and audio. I have never used it.

The Hopper DVR can be sync'ed to your computer, via wifi or hard wired, and it will accept external USB devices for video or storage.

Using Dish Anywhere you can transfer programming onto any android device for remote viewing. If you have good internet at both locations, you can watch programs off the DVR using any android cell phone or tablet. I don't know about Apple stuff, since I don't own any.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Don't have, watch TV......not as most people know it, that is. Everything is canned, DVD or tape.......and given what passes for entertainment in this century, I DON'T WANT IT (the current stuff)!.

Right now, I am experimenting between satellite and DSL for my Internet. The DSL is without caps but it tends to be iffy, periods of few to several minutes to where I don't have a connection. The satellite tends to be more sure but it has data caps on it. So right now, I am using the DSL for my low grade, non urgent communications, my satellite for necessary down loads.

In either case, my speeds are often, at best (and often not even that) in the 300kps range.

It is a good thing that I got into the mindset of having a library instead of depending on cable for my entertainment for had I not, when I got out to the country, I would have "starved".

Old 08-30-2020, 02:05 PM

120 posts, read 103,928 times
Hughes net sucks. Had them for 3 years they over sold their satilites system could only use it for emails couldn't stream or watch even a short video. 20 megs wasn't enough band width. When a canceled they were not very nice.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:03 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I lost several more channels today on Direct tv. An ABC channel and a CW channel. So far in the last 6 months I've lost the BBC, The Weather channel, A PBS Station and I think it was called ME tv. Now with ABC and CW gone. What's the point of having TV. The bill is the same it's not adjusted for the loss of channels. I have a year left on the contract, otherwise I'd canx them.

Is TV becoming a thing of the past? Is this why the loss of stations is getting so out of hand?

Old 02-02-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I lost several more channels today on Direct tv. An ABC channel and a CW channel. So far in the last 6 months I've lost the BBC, The Weather channel, A PBS Station and I think it was called ME tv. Now with ABC and CW gone. What's the point of having TV. The bill is the same it's not adjusted for the loss of channels. I have a year left on the contract, otherwise I'd canx them.

Is TV becoming a thing of the past? Is this why the loss of stations is getting so out of hand?
Where are you? Is this a regional station retransmission spat for ABC & CW?

And Weather Channel and BBCA are not regional, so they wouldn't be affected.

Because I am not seeing this. Maybe they did some tier rearranging? I have every one of those channels (no idea about ME, I don't even know what it is, but I guess I have it).

Old 02-02-2021, 07:34 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Where are you? Is this a regional station retransmission spat for ABC & CW?

And Weather Channel and BBCA are not regional, so they wouldn't be affected.

Because I am not seeing this. Maybe they did some tier rearranging? I have every one of those channels (no idea about ME, I don't even know what it is, but I guess I have it).
I'm in Florida about an hour North of Orlando. The ABC station is an Orlando station, and I imagine the CW is also. I did know there was a dispute between Satellite and cable stations going on across the country. Some areas more than others, but I thought they were finished with it a few weeks ago. Evidently the Central Florida area is getting hit now. I heard some regions of the country have lost more than 10 stations all at once last month. When the Weather Channel was removed from this area, it seems it was replaced with ACCU Weather Channel. I noticed some of the weather people from the Weather Channel are on this channel now. I don't know why the BBC channel was removed. I miss that one. I'd be lost if they removed the PBS station, and there is always a threat of them folding because of lack of funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living