Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 06:15 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,212,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
They do sell specialty TP for RV systems that dissolves quickly and thoroughly. You dont want problems emptying the holding tank.... Now training guests to not flush plastic hygiene products is another matter altogether. Also dont flush baby wipes. Even the city sewage plants have lot troubles from them.

https://www.smartrving.net/best-rv-toilet-papers/
I have been using Sam's Club member mark brand for several years in my rv with no issues. I did a test with it compared with Scott's brand and there was no difference between them. I plan on using it when I move in a few months where I will have a septic system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 10:34 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have been using Sam's Club member mark brand for several years in my rv with no issues. I did a test with it compared with Scott's brand and there was no difference between them. I plan on using it when I move in a few months where I will have a septic system.
That is a nice 40 pack for around $20.00 from Sam's Club. It's better than the Costco Toilet paper that sells for around 16.00 and is a bigger pack than Costco.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:08 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
That is a nice 40 pack for around $20.00 from Sam's Club. It's better than the Costco Toilet paper that sells for around 16.00 and is a bigger pack than Costco.
Interesting since I came on here specifically to mention Costco TP. Had a long talk with a septic expert today and he said it is the worst for clogging up a tank because it just makes a raft on the top and stops further digestion of the contents of the tank.

I’m buying a house right now and my friend and I went to explore what kind of tank there is and lifted the lid to discover about ten plastic grocery bags and no inner baffles. The septic man said that it might be fine (after the tank is pumped) since it feeds into a lagoon. The place sits on five acres in the woods on the edge of a very small town.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:00 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Interesting since I came on here specifically to mention Costco TP. Had a long talk with a septic expert today and he said it is the worst for clogging up a tank because it just makes a raft on the top and stops further digestion of the contents of the tank.

I’m buying a house right now and my friend and I went to explore what kind of tank there is and lifted the lid to discover about ten plastic grocery bags and no inner baffles. The septic man said that it might be fine (after the tank is pumped) since it feeds into a lagoon. The place sits on five acres in the woods on the edge of a very small town.
I'm hoping that you misunderstood your "expert," as what he claimed is not accurate. A cap will form in just about any septic tank from the cellulose in toilet paper and any plant material (veggie scraps, etc.). That cap will NOT stop the digestion, as the process is anaerobic and does NOT need air. A large cap can block the tank outlet, which does create a problem. Most tanks have baffles to prevent this. If the house you are buying has a tank with no baffles, that is an issue you may want to correct unless you want a fetid lagoon.

Generally, a visit and friendly chat with the county health officer will give you good information and save you money by not making errors that put you out of compliance with the law. This is one are where asking forgiveness after can be a LOT more expensive than doing things right the first time.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:38 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm hoping that you misunderstood your "expert," as what he claimed is not accurate. A cap will form in just about any septic tank from the cellulose in toilet paper and any plant material (veggie scraps, etc.). That cap will NOT stop the digestion, as the process is anaerobic and does NOT need air. A large cap can block the tank outlet, which does create a problem. Most tanks have baffles to prevent this. If the house you are buying has a tank with no baffles, that is an issue you may want to correct unless you want a fetid lagoon.

Generally, a visit and friendly chat with the county health officer will give you good information and save you money by not making errors that put you out of compliance with the law. This is one are where asking forgiveness after can be a LOT more expensive than doing things right the first time.
Yes I think I stated that wrong and what you said here sounds closer to what he said. He’s coming out next week to pump it out and give me a verdict on whether I should get a new unit but apparently holding tanks and lagoons are legal in Union county in Southern Illinois.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:46 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,438,347 times
I use one-ply, for the reasons listed above. I also do the tp/jar of water test that another poster mentioned. I don’t use a specific brand, especially these days! I think the most important thing to remember is that the only things that go in the toilet are human waste & tp, NO feminine hygiene products and especially no wipes, even if they say they are flushable.

You also need to watch what goes down your sink drains, and it should be only water. I have garbage disposer but I never use it and pour any grease from cooking into a can. I stopped washing my little dog in the bathtub because she sheds so much hair.

I don’t know about Rid-X, some people use it and some don’t. I did for awhile, but a local old guy who built his own house said it wasn’t necessary. I don’t use it anymore.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:52 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I love Scott's toilet paper! Very septic friendly.
That is what we use as well. We were advised, and found out by sad experience that Charmin is the worst TP for septic use, as all that " soft and strong" touted by the red bear family on the Charmin ads doesn't break down well in the septic tsnk.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
YOU'LL WANT 1-PLY TISSUE <<---------
Exactly correct.

One ply tissue paper. Any brand is fine.

Specially if the septic system has a pump. Some systems are gravity fed/operated while other ones have to have an inground pump or in basement floor.

My first pump lasted 15 years. And the pump actually did not break. The metal fittings attached to the pump rotted/broke. Pump still worked. But had a new pump put in anyway.

Any single ply tissue is fine.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:13 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That is what we use as well. We were advised, and found out by sad experience that Charmin is the worst TP for septic use, as all that " soft and strong" touted by the red bear family on the Charmin ads doesn't break down well in the septic tsnk.
Charmin? I just paid $25.00 for a large pack at Costco. Charmin was the only brand Costco had at the time. They sold out of Kirkland brand.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:05 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
As earlier mentioned we live rural.
Both of our main houses are on septic .

Been doing this for 35 years.
It shocks me to to no end to still have to tell my sister in law that she can’t dump everything down our drain like coffee grinds and such regardless of having a garbage disposer.

We uses our disposer to get rid the “itty bitty” little items and that is all.
Everything else goes to our composter tumblers or trash containers.

I also use Rid Ex (sp?)
Sometimes we forget to use it for a year or so I can’t honestly tell you if it works or not.
We have had to pump out our tank 2 times in 35 years.
I’m cool with that but I’m also very vigilant about these kind of things.

Thanks again.
Andy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living