Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 05:53 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
That's a non-answer from someone who has no response to cogent points.
LOL! I'm sorry that your browser is broken enough that you can't find subsequent posts.

As for that article? Is this what you call "cogent?":

Thirdly, there are some physical injuries that can be obtained from bidet usage. Severe burning of the genital and perianal regions from scolding water is possible, and burns are particularly common in the elderly who have reduced anal temperature sensitivity. Injuries from ceramic bidets that break during use have also been reported. This is particularly worrying for older generations who are more susceptible to complications from minor physical injuries. Injury from broken bidets may become more prevalent as the average weight of a bidet user increases. Bidets will need to be built to withstand higher weight loads from heavier users to make sure they are safe from failure. Practical design solutions, for example installing temperature control systems, may also be needed to ensure safe and efficient use for elderly users who have more difficulties when using a bidet and who are more at risk from bidet injuries.

The word is perineal, not perianal. That might give you a clue that this author has no real knowledge and is blowing smoke. No modern bidet that I am aware of is attached directly to a hot water line, AND anti-scald valves are required in all public restrooms, and modern water heaters are limited to about 125 F, below where such burns would happen even if they were. Now, perhaps the erudite author really MEANT "scolding water." I am trying to remember the last time when I was scolded by water, but I suppose it is possible if you hear voices. "What do you think you are doing, spraying me up there?!?! Don't you know I am holy water?!!!" If I heard that, I agree that it might put me off, at least until I heard from other voices that the tap water was a prankster and that only water from the spaghetti pot was holy water.

A ceramic bidet is a dedicated appliance, built to similar standards as a toilet. Whether a person broke a toilet or a bidet first would be a toss-up. Since we can't know for certain, using the author's twisted logic, we need to consider banning ceramic toilets as well. Of course, that leaves open the avenue of whinging about splinters in the outhouse plank, and being stung by resident horseflies.

In short, the article is about as cogent as the scratchings in a litter pan after a cat has relieved itself, and I have had newspaper lining the bottom of a parakeet cage that made the parakeet a better researcher than the author.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 05:55 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! I'm sorry that your browser is broken enough that you can't find subsequent posts.

As for that article? Is this what you call "cogent?":

Thirdly, there are some physical injuries that can be obtained from bidet usage. Severe burning of the genital and perianal regions from scolding water is possible, and burns are particularly common in the elderly who have reduced anal temperature sensitivity. Injuries from ceramic bidets that break during use have also been reported. This is particularly worrying for older generations who are more susceptible to complications from minor physical injuries. Injury from broken bidets may become more prevalent as the average weight of a bidet user increases. Bidets will need to be built to withstand higher weight loads from heavier users to make sure they are safe from failure. Practical design solutions, for example installing temperature control systems, may also be needed to ensure safe and efficient use for elderly users who have more difficulties when using a bidet and who are more at risk from bidet injuries.

The word is perineal, not perianal. That might give you a clue that this author has no real knowledge and is blowing smoke. No modern bidet that I am aware of is attached directly to a hot water line, AND anti-scald valves are required in all public restrooms, and modern water heaters are limited to about 125 F, below where such burns would happen even if they were. Now, perhaps the erudite author really MEANT "scolding water." I am trying to remember the last time when I was scolded by water, but I suppose it is possible if you hear voices. "What do you think you are ding, spraying me up there?!?! Don't you know I am holy water?!!!" If I heard that, I agree that it might put me off, at least until I heard from other voices that the tap water was a prankster and that only water from the spaghetti pot was holy water.

A ceramic bidet is a dedicated appliance, built to similar standards as a toilet. Whether a person broke a toilet or a bidet first would be a toss-up. Since we can't know for certain, using the author's twisted logic, we need to consider banning ceramic toilets as well. Of course, that leaves open the avenue of whinging about splinters in the outhouse plank, and being stung by resident horseflies.

In short, the article is about as cogent as the scratchings in a litter pan after a cat has relieved itself, and I have had newspaper lining the bottom of a parakeet cage that made the parakeet a better researcher than the author.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:05 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
There is cat litter that is made to go down the toilet.
Absolutely not. Nor “flushable” wipes.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
There is cat litter that is made to go down the toilet.
Oh, H***, no, terrible idea!

Old 12-17-2020, 08:41 AM

233 posts, read 277,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Oh, H***, no, terrible idea!
He must love spending money on the plumber

Old 12-20-2020, 06:31 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Pay attention to what you are flushing for sure, but around here it's only about $200 for a septic tank cleanout. Unless you have a big family, having it pumped every 2 years or so will be the best insurance to protect your leach field or sand filter.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:49 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Pay attention to what you are flushing for sure, but around here it's only about $200 for a septic tank cleanout. Unless you have a big family, having it pumped every 2 years or so will be the best insurance to protect your leach field or sand filter.
Agreed. And aeration systems need annual maintenance. I was able to go every 10 years because it is a one person household, but all septic systems need to be pumped out on a regular basis. Otherwise, the sludge builds up until it runs into the leach field. My system had 2 separate leach fields; I would change the inlet pipe once a year.

I was on city sewer by the time the Rover Pipeline came through my property, right through my leach fields.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:58 AM

865 posts, read 440,674 times
One of the best choices is Cascade Toilet paper. It is similar to Angel Soft. I prefer it to Scott’s (another good choice for septic systems).

https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/t...er-should-buy/

Old 01-15-2021, 01:11 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Free toilet paper is the best?

Old 01-19-2021, 09:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes I think I stated that wrong and what you said here sounds closer to what he said. He’s coming out next week to pump it out and give me a verdict on whether I should get a new unit but apparently holding tanks and lagoons are legal in Union county in Southern Illinois.
It's very possible that it's an older system that's grandfathered in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
That's a non-answer from someone who has no response to cogent points.
Not really. Burning yourself with hot water, or cutting yourself on a broken bidet, aren't really arguments against a bidet anymore than a ceramic toilet bowl or shower that has hot water.

And I say that as someone who has no desire to install a bidet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living