Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 03:01 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Generally, the only smoke you could see - is at the very beginning of the burn: after you can not see any smoke coming out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
This state is over 92% forest. When homes are properly distanced apart from each other [say a mile or more between houses] none of your smoke should ever leave your own property.
Properly seasoned wood goes a long way in keeping smoke down, windy/dry/sunny locations the best to store it. The covered/un-covered debate still rages among wood folk I suppose. I have a stack in an open air shelter with a clear corrugated plexiglass roof to let sun in and rain/snow off, another piled uncovered open air on the deck ramp.

Can't say one pile dries better than the other. I don't use a moisture meter, just wait until the wood sounds like bowling pins when hitting two pieces together...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 03:12 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Who else on here uses a wood stove as their main source of heat? I have had a Waterford stove, Erin model, since 1991, they don't import these to the US anymore. A non-catalytic stove with an ash pan was what I wanted, I got one of the last Erins the stove vendor had.
?
We added a wood burning stove to our house last year. We don't use it as the main source of heat but can certainly use it as a backup. This soapstone stove retains heat very well and burns wood very efficiently with the catalytic converter.

You may want to check into whether you can retrofit a catalytic converter to your stove

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/...-zmaz84ndzraw/

Here is the link to the page on "A Wood Stove Catalytic Converter You Can Build".

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/...r-zmaz83jfzraw

Old 02-12-2022, 03:25 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
There is a farm near me, where they grow a lot of corn. A large portion of their corn is kiln-dried, they sell it to people as fuel for pellet stoves.

Old 02-12-2022, 04:33 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
It's not from flatulence, it's from the manure they produce. We gotta feed the world and the pop isn't getting any smaller.

Old 02-12-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
It's not from flatulence, it's from the manure they produce. We gotta feed the world and the pop isn't getting any smaller.
I do not see it as my responsibility to 'feed the world'.

I doubt that it is your personal responsibility either.

The best I can do is to feed my family. That is the best any of us can do.

If some urbanite refuses to produce his/her own food, that is their problem.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:49 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
"Gemstone says he uses 1800 lb of firwod per yr (~5 cords)" I wish it was only 1800 pounds !

9 tons in my math class was 18,000 pounds...every pound handled 4 times. Not too bad for an old f@rt who is 75 this month.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:01 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
So woodstove is more environmental hazard than all that wood burning naturally in western states? Looks like its going to burn one way or another.

I have heated with wood all my adult life except couple years. Cut all my own wood except for three years when health prevented it. Still use a Sotz kit stove I bought new in early 1980s. On its third "barrel". This last one actually an old well pressure tank, so bit heavier duty.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:18 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Gemstone says he uses 1800 lb of firwod per yr (~5 cords)" I wish it was only 1800 pounds !

9 tons in my math class was 18,000 pounds...every pound handled 4 times. Not too bad for an old f@rt who is 75 this month.
Typo...A cord of oak weighs about 3500 lb, so your 18000 is a litle over 5 cords...

.Happy birth day. I'm only 2 yrs behind you. I 've always said it's not the fire that keeps you warm-- it's all the work it takes to get that fire going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So woodstove is more environmental hazard than all that wood burning naturally in western states? Looks like its going to burn one way or another.
Right...Even if a tree doesn't get lit on fire, it will die and rot...Rotting is just slow oxidation to h2o & co2 as opposed to burning which is rapid oxidation to co2 & h2o.

The same ammount of heat is released also-- just spread over a longer time span....also, same amount of co2 & h20 either way, and no change in atm levels because the wood growth took that amount out of the atm in the first place--carbon cycle-- no net changes

In regards "smoke"-- We shouldn't confuse the dark, soot laden smoke from an inefficient open fire with the clear/white water vapor that condenses from the warm co2 & h20 rising from an efficient furnace.

Old 02-13-2022, 04:41 AM

27,349 posts, read 27,402,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Calling this an environmental disaster if everyone used a wood stove is a bit out there.

If everyone in all the cookie cutter neighborhoods like they have in Los Angeles did it yes it would get smokey with out wind.
A stove is also much more efficient than a fireplace

Do you know why lots of rural areas don’t have smog tests for their cars?
They don’t need them because those areas are not that populated.

Lots of rural areas have no natural gas available.
Sometimes the power goes out and it can get cold.

We live about 90miles away from the closest natural gas source.
I am glad I have a wood stove.
I prefer living out in the sticks. Where we live (here in Tulsa) there is no smog testing but a wood stove is sure be cheaper to run. Fireplace might be more for looks as they don’t radiate the heat as well as a stove.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by country pride View Post
I prefer living out in the sticks. Where we live (here in Tulsa) there is no smog testing but a wood stove is sure be cheaper to run. Fireplace might be more for looks as they don’t radiate the heat as well as a stove.
If a fireplace has 10 tons of masonry and 3/4 of that mass is outside of your home. When your fire heats up all of that mass, 3/4 of it will radiate outside.

The real problem with a fireplace though, is that so many homeowners violate fire codes when they operate them. All the time, I see homes where they put wood stick framing directly up against the fireplace masonry. Now here is a riddle for you, what fire code allows you to rest burnable material up against the heated components of a fireplace? The answer is none.

We see house fires every winter, and every time the fire marshal will do his investigation and publicize warnings to try to stop folks from doing this. Millions of home owners ignore the warnings as they have wood framing touching and often resting on the masonry, that they know is going to get hot when they build a fire.

Brother Ben Franklin had a good idea, put your fire inside a steel vessel and place that steel vessel in the center of the room with a stove pipe to take the smoke outside. That way the woodstove can radiate in all directions and all of that heat is inside. We have all known this for 200 years, but where do people put their woodstoves? On an exterior wall, so it will heat an exterior wall and much of the heat will go outside to warm the deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living