Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times

Advertisements

I have a year left on my Master's degree and then I want to move. Who's with me? Actually, it isn't just Sacramento that I want to get a way from, but CA in general. Who can afford to live here anymore? I want affordable housing, a picturesque town, and summers that aren't miserable. Any suggestions? Anyone else in this town looking to leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 03:35 PM

439 posts, read 721,546 times
Try parts of New England-some great towns, seasons with a soft light, low crime, no road rage, and the highest quality of life in the country.

Low cost housing (median near 250K) in central and eastern Connecticut. Ocean near by with beaches, Boston 65 minites, Provdence and Hatford 30 minutes. Climate is milder then you think.

Coastal Maine is very pleasant as well. Vermont is wonderful but the winters can be tough.

Want more information from me in Connecticut ASK

Old 08-23-2006, 03:43 PM

Thank you so much for responding. I would love more info on CT. Do you live there or in Sac? Is it humid? I need a job teaching English at the college level and my husband is in the medical field--are those doable there? What are the people like?

Old 08-23-2006, 04:44 PM

424 posts, read 2,697,231 times
Default Other suggestions

I'm also looking to leave northern CA once I retire. I've heard that many people are leaving the Sacramento area for Idaho. I hear that Cordelane (spelling?) is very pretty (close to Spokane too). The summers can get warm and the winters are colder than Sacramento, but not much humidity. A lot of people are also moving to Oregon, which seems to be booming near Portland and not many other places. Unfortunately, the affordable housing seems to be where there are few jobs.

You might want to check out the forum for Washington state. The climate differs a lot depending on where you are looking, but it sounds like the job market is still pretty good in many areas, the summers are mild on the western part of the state and there is still affordable housing in many areas. I'm looking to retire somewhere near Olympia. Of course, if you want cool summers in WA, you have to like lots of rain during the rest of the year!

My niece just moved to Kentucky (not my idea of nice because of the humidity) and LOVES it. The job market is booming, housing is really cheap, the state is very pretty in many areas, and people are friendly and operate at a much slower pace than Sacramento. Good luck on your search.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:47 PM

thank you so much for your response. I will follow up on the places you suggested.

As far as retirement is concerned you may want to check out Panama--yes Panama. My parents are getting ready for retirement and have done a lot of research and Panama has amazing tax breaks and other incentives for retirees, like no taxes on pensions--a lot of Americans are retiring there.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:06 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Look it up at city-data.com, a lot of good points.

The exodus is on from California because middle class workers can't afford a **** thing here anymore, whereas elsewhere we can.

Please advise your parents to check EVERY possible aspect they can when moving to a Latin American country, as they could end up broke with their assets confiscated by some coup or another. Remember Noriega?

Also, the downside of New England is their high, high, high property taxes. Check the boards here to confirm.

Last edited by Marka; 08-24-2006 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 PM

424 posts, read 2,697,231 times
Default Help for Leavingcali

If you get too depressed before you can leave Sacramento, take a drive on Highway 16 toward Sutter Creek. I took the drive a couple of weeks ago and it is sooo pretty out there. Especially if you go when it's not 110 degrees. I get so tired of downtown, I had forgotten how nice it is just a short drive from Sac.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 12,065 times
i want out of california to.but my job skills are limited.and im broke.hoever.if you come up with a plan please let me know.ill sell my car split gas to move to a better life.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:43 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
I left the Bay Area for North-Central New Mexcico two years ago and have never looked back.

The weather, landscapes, and people have all been a pleasant surprise.

I'm retired and live within my means here. In California, I'd be looking over my shoulder for the bill collectors.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 20,619 times
I'm leaving CA because I just cant afford decent housing anymore. I took a job that is opening a division in Colorado Springs where the you can still buy a nice home for $250,000 or less and I will be making more money than I do in souther CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento