Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 10:43 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Clearlake avg summer lows:
Jun: 51
Jul:55
Aug: 53

That's about 10-15 colder than coastal SoCal. The coldest temperature ever recorded in summer in San Diego is 54.

Warmest average low in Modesto is 63 in July. For Redding it's 66 in July. That's about the same or cooler than Coastal SoCal actually. Average low in August in SD is 67. Either way I was mainly referring to where the bulk of the population lives, which is the SF Bay Area and Sacramento.

I personally prefer not having 30-40 degree ranges between night and day, to each their own though.
Thanks for pointing that out about Clear Lake. For some reason, I thought it was much, much hotter. I know they get extremely hot days but did not realize how much they cool off! And yes, as far as the bulk of the population in Northern California, that is definitely in areas with cooler low temperatures than the bulk of the population in Southern California. I was merely pointing out that be far interior of Northern California has just about the same summer low temperatures as most of southern California, as well as similar daytime temperatures to the Inland Empire. I guess that's better for crops than people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
9:30am

Seattle 68
Concord 73
Austin 73
Sacramento 81

Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,439 times
Quote:

Seattle 68
Concord 73
Austin 73
Sacramento 81

San Diego: 75 right now with a dewpoint of 68.
Overnight low last night: 68
Expected daytime high: 81
Some handsome cumulus clouds over the mountains to add to the scenery and a touch of humidity.
Perfect beach/pool/nighttime hang out weather. You can be comfortable in shorts and flip flops outside at midnight, 6AM, as well as 3PM.

In Sacramento, it would be too cold to hang outside in shorts and flip flops at midnight or 6AM and too hot at 3PM (unless you're in the pool).

Those truly "comfortable" hang outside hours are restricted to 8:30-10:30AM and 7:30-9:30PM on days like today in Sacramento.

Meanwhile people are freezing their asses off in Monterey at 54 degrees right now with a beautiful ocean they can only stare at.

Northern California climates are way overrated as you have to pick between cold, overcast fog all summer at the coast vs. blue dome skies with crazy diurnal ranges inland. Plus, don't you get tired of not seeing any clouds for 6 months?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 AM

572 posts, read 598,962 times
Quote:

Seattle 68
Concord 73
Austin 73
Sacramento 81
Yeah what's your point? It's 81 in Walnut Creek right now too (at 9:45am). We are in the middle of a massive heat wave in Northern California if you didn't know! Most of the inland bay area doesn't escape from that either.

It's been pretty toasty the last few days. When I left the pool last night at 7:30pm it was still 102!! But it is July. I would expect at least two or three of these brutal heat waves each summer.

We'll be back to low 90s highs next week which is more of our summer average in Sac. And that is very manageable with cool evenings and cool mornings. Is it coastal southern CA? no.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
San Diego: 75 right now with a dewpoint of 68.
Overnight low last night: 68
Expected daytime high: 81
Some handsome cumulus clouds over the mountains to add to the scenery and a touch of humidity.
Perfect beach/pool/nighttime hang out weather. You can be comfortable in shorts and flip flops outside at midnight, 6AM, as well as 3PM.

In Sacramento, it would be too cold to hang outside in shorts and flip flops at midnight or 6AM and too hot at 3PM (unless you're in the pool).

Those truly "comfortable" hang outside hours are restricted to 8:30-10:30AM and 7:30-9:30PM on days like today in Sacramento.

Meanwhile people are freezing their asses off in Monterey at 54 degrees right now with a beautiful ocean they can only stare at.

Northern California climates are way overrated as you have to pick between cold, overcast fog all summer at the coast vs. blue dome skies with crazy diurnal ranges inland. Plus, don't you get tired of not seeing any clouds for 6 months?
Probably the best microclimates are those along SF Bay farther south or north of the Golden Gate. Places like Redwood City, Fremont, San Rafael, etc... Warm but not hot during the day (upper 70's to low 80's). Only downside is the chilly mornings and nights.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Yeah what's your point? It's 81 in Walnut Creek right now too (at 9:45am). We are in the middle of a massive heat wave in Northern California if you didn't know! Most of the inland bay area doesn't escape from that either.

It's been pretty toasty the last few days. When I left the pool last night at 7:30pm it was still 102!! But it is July. I would expect at least two or three of these brutal heat waves each summer.

We'll be back to low 90s highs next week which is more of our summer average in Sac. And that is very manageable with cool evenings and cool mornings. Is it coastal southern CA? no.
My point was showing the temperatures currently, what else did you think it was? Kind of what this thread is about no?

Yes I'm aware of the heat wave, I live in the inland East Bay so not sure why you thought I wouldn't be.

More like mid 90's actually.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:17 PM

264 posts, read 413,805 times
Where did the delta breeze go these last couple nights? 90F at 10pm?

Old 07-27-2016, 02:56 PM

1:55pm

Seattle 77
Concord 92 (89 Heat Index)
Austin 90 (97 Heat Index)
Sacramento 102 (102 Heat Index)

Old 07-27-2016, 09:17 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,439 times
Quote:
Probably the best microclimates are those along SF Bay farther south or north of the Golden Gate. Places like Redwood City, Fremont, San Rafael, etc... Warm but not hot during the day (upper 70's to low 80's). Only downside is the chilly mornings and nights.
I prefer San Jose for most summer days in the 80s and most summer nights staying above 55 (due to UHI?) although I prefer NO summer nights below 60. Upper 70s with lows in the mid 50s in a place like Fremont still doesn't offer enough of a "summer" feeling for me because the daytime hour of warmth are limited. OTOH, a high in the upper 70s in San Diego with a low in the upper 60s will offer far more hours of warmth.

Sacramento is about 10-15 degrees warmer than San Jose during the day but about even with them at night so Sactown wins for better pool weather but San Jose would win for more comfortable non-swimming daytime summer weather. San Francisco and the NorCal Coast is the "biggest loser" with comfortable summerish weather being extremely rare outside of major off shore heat waves that turn the inland areas into infernos (last summer's El Nino was the exception and I bet they are mourning the fact that they returned to their usual miserable summer cold weather this summer).

Old 07-27-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I prefer San Jose for most summer days in the 80s and most summer nights staying above 55 (due to UHI?) although I prefer NO summer nights below 60. Upper 70s with lows in the mid 50s in a place like Fremont still doesn't offer enough of a "summer" feeling for me because the daytime hour of warmth are limited. OTOH, a high in the upper 70s in San Diego with a low in the upper 60s will offer far more hours of warmth.

Sacramento is about 10-15 degrees warmer than San Jose during the day but about even with them at night so Sactown wins for better pool weather but San Jose would win for more comfortable non-swimming daytime summer weather. San Francisco and the NorCal Coast is the "biggest loser" with comfortable summerish weather being extremely rare outside of major off shore heat waves that turn the inland areas into infernos (last summer's El Nino was the exception and I bet they are mourning the fact that they returned to their usual miserable summer cold weather this summer).
During off shore flows when the coast gets warm, typically late spring and late summer/early fall, it's not any worse than it is right now with the heat inland. There is just less of a temperature differential between the coast and inland areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento